Would a more cautious Cyborg have beaten Amanda Nunes?

Possibly. I just hate that the UFC immediately jumped on the "NUNES IS THE GOAT!!!" shit lol. Clear agenda there and it worked.

People will deny it because the hate for Cyborg is high. But that fight was a 50/50 . If Cyborg hadn’t fought like a beserkee and been more defensive when she got hurt it would been tough for Nunes.

Cyborg is a powerful grappler , a very good striker (when she wants to be) and has a much better gas tank than Nunes. Her problem was she forgot who she was fighting and tried to steamroll Nunes. But you can’t do that to the goat.

If you put aside bias it’s hard to argue against the point that fight could’ve been very different.

Technically Cyborg is the only MMA athlete to win a title in every major org. So there should be more of a debate about the who the goat is. I’d favor Amanda but the UFC was shady in the way that they pushed the Amanda GOAT narrative.
Cyborg is a can crusher, and she used peds to do it. But even taking that out of the debate Nunes has the much better resume.

Watched this inside the Gaslamp in Long Beach. Had ordered the pesto chicken pasta and they messed up my order and had to get another plate around when this fight happened an was screaming after Amanda knocked her out. Fight could have went another way or maybe not, think Cyborg would have won the rematch though.

Nunes is Volk

Cyborg is MVP as she spent most of career fighting cans

Whereas Nunes fought all the best women in the world and beat them
That fight shocked me. I thought Cyborg would bounce her head off the mat. It showed that Nunes lost a bit of her power by the time she fought the Vixen.

Almost certainly. Nunes doesn't like to get hit and will fall back to wrestling if she starts to think she can't dominate the standup. Plus, her cardio is suspect when she's in an actual fight where she's not dictating the pace for five rounds. Cyborg got drawn into a brawl and paid for it, and never got the rematch that she obviously deserved.

As I'm fond of telling people - if it weren't for rematches, we'd still be talking today how Cain was great but JDS just had his number and was obviously the better fighter. But of course, a first round KO proves nothing.

Damn i was gonna post this about Cain/JDS.

Cyborg is the better fighter, let's be real. Got clipped and proceeding to employ the worst gameplan of all time. The cyborg that fought Holm handles Amanda.

Cyborg is a can crusher, and she used peds to do it. But even taking that out of the debate Nunes has the much better resume.

She beat everyone put in front of her apart from Nunes, and to be fair a lot of people avoided her. She comfortably outboxed Holy Holm who was top two 2/3 in her division at the time. She even went out of MMA to find challenges in other combat sports and did well only losing to Jorina Baars a world class Kick-boxer. She won a ADCC world bronze medal and picked up bjj world gold medals at purple belt. In terms of combat sports looking at her career objectively you can make a case for her being the GOAT. That’s not to say she is just that her career can’t be downplayed

Last edited:
Yes, Cyborg is the better fighter and just got careless against the only other fighter with real finishing power. Nunes had exactly one way to win and she pulled it off. I’d pick Cyborg to beat her 8/10 times.
Im almost with you, except for the 8/10 prediction. I agree Cyborg is more technical, but Amanda is fast to adapt to fights (except the loss to soccer mum pena).
I would say Cyborg beats Amanda more than she loses, so a 6-4 would look fair to me. All theory, nonetheless.

The fact that some people think that Cyborg with a different gameplan couldn't conceivably defeat a woman that was finished by Juliana Pena, is absolutely ridiculous.

Technically Cyborg is the only MMA athlete to win a title in every major org. So there should be more of a debate about the who the goat is. I’d favor Amanda but the UFC was shady in the way that they pushed the Amanda GOAT narrative.
She was also on like a 20 fight winning streak or sth and more than 10 yrs undefeated (albeit some weak competition). A rematch would have been perfect. Just like the Conor vs Aldo rematch. When you get caught like that and the fighter was like 10 yrs undefeated there should be a rematch and thats coming from someone who hates rematchs.

But ofc there was a risk that Amanda could lose the rematch and they denied Cyborg of that opportunity, its shady. Val is getting her 3rd rematch…

I know for a fact what the game plan was as far as striking was concerned: maintain distance, use the left kick to beat up the right arm, grind nunes out against the cage and do what it takes to sap her power. Then it’s time to rock n roll.

Unfortunately, she got tagged early and dat dog in her came out. Downhill from there

And that there is why I think she'll lose most of the time against Nunes. Cyborg almost always goes into Chute Boxe brawl mode when she gets tagged, it's happened a bunch of times in her fights and I've seen it in her training footage as well. She's no Pernell Whitaker so pretty much everyone who tries to hit her succeeds, even opponents like Felicia Spencer and the ghost of Cat Zingano.

Nunes will hit her clean pretty much every time, Amanda's timing & accuracy is just too good for Cyborg's defence. Once she's hit clean, well, it's back to brawl mode and Amanda will always have the advantage there with her speed, power, and accuracy.

Wanderlei in a wig got face planted, she wins 9 outta 10 fights is coulda shoulda woulda gibberish.

I think Cyborg could have done much better if given another crack. Shame we didn't see this one again at some point.

At the very least, the fight would have gone on longer. I think Cyborg could've been competitive with Nunes. It's one rematch I'll always wish happened.

Back