Would Crawford be competitive with Canelo?

Was going to post that: Bud states that 154 is the realistic weight jump he feels he can be truly competitive/champ in, not any higher weight classes than that. He's very objective in his assessments of his skills in this interview, imo.
Yeah I thought so too. He didn't seem delusional or high on himself. He knows how old he is and what is realistic.

Crawford taking a fight against Canelo would be inadvisable and he'd be just as big an underdog as Mayweather against Ward. He'd raise his stature by making it competitive even if he lost.

Except that Crawford is taller than Canelo and has more reach, the comparison is awful. People still don't understand how much most fighters cut weight. Crawford would not be as thick as Canelo but he would be comparable in size if he wanted.

He has 2 inches of reach on him. They're the same height.

If you think the men in that photo are the same height you need glasses badly lol.

This fight could possibly happen. Money talks, and its nowhere near as extreme as Manny fighting Oscar or Margarito.

Ward didnt even cut weight for 168 lmao. Its the exact same situations.

ward definitely cut for 168…

canel
I respectfully disagree. Crawford is no bigger than Mayweather. I also think Floyd not cutting weight at WW is a myth. He blew off the contracted weight limit against Marquez and had an emergency exemption to IV rehydrate before the Pacquiao fight.

I'd also like to clarify that I meant a Ward fight at 168, considering their PFP rankings, but Floyd could have fought GGG or even Margarito at 154 the way Pacquiao did.

Crawford taking a fight against Canelo would be inadvisable and he'd be just as big an underdog as Mayweather against Ward. He'd raise his stature by making it competitive even if he lost.

mayweather and bud are not the same size. Never have been, they are same height but bud is much thicker

Last edited:
I'm aware of Bud's accomplishments. I've followed his entire career. Inoue will also be a two-division undisputed champ in about 4 months FYI. Have you ever seen Bud perform at 154 or above? Did he look impressive against the top guys there? When you can answer yes to these questions then we'll revisit this conversation.

Exactly. Until he does it we can rave about his skills all day. The only one who is doing it is Canelo and Usyk.

Kell brooks jumped two weight classes and looked good until he got his face caved in

Canelo has jumped against some murderous punchers and still looked good.

Except that Crawford is taller than Canelo and has more reach, the comparison is awful. People still don't understand how much most fighters cut weight. Crawford would not be as thick as Canelo but he would be comparable in size if he wanted.

If you think the men in that photo are the same height you need glasses badly lol.

This fight could possibly happen. Money talks, and its nowhere near as extreme as Manny fighting Oscar or Margarito.
Manny fought a weight drained Oscar. The Margarito fight was one of his biggest accomplishments. As far as that photo is concerned, as opposed to their official heights, I'll go with the official heights. Put flip flops on Bud, high heels on Mayweather and have him stand closer to the camera, I guarantee your eyes will tell you Mayweather is the much bigger fighter.

Canelo was in his early prime a JMW, he's spent years gaining weight, do you even remember him ducking GGG until he was more comfortable at MW? The guy he beat for the title was in his prime at JWW. Canelo is now the undisputed SMW champ and has fought competitively against LHWs. It's laughable to think bud could jump 3 weight classes and be competitive against another PFPer.

How about we make that fight but have Canelo make weight at 152 like for the Mayweather fight. They're the same height so there should be no problem right?

ward definitely cut for 168…

canel

mayweather and Floyd are not the same size. Never have been, they are same height but bud is much thicker
Mayweather and Floyd are the same guy. :D I think you might have an agenda claiming Bud is much thicker. They're about the same size.

Exactly. Until he does it we can rave about his skills all day. The only one who is doing it is Canelo and Usyk.

Kell brooks jumped two weight classes and looked good until he got his face caved in

Canelo has jumped against some murderous punchers and still looked good.
Canelo should drop back down to JMW and make this historic fight. <mma4>

Back when that Khan fight took place it should have been against GGG. He was fine facing a guy coming up in weight but didn't want to face a bigger opponent himself. As you pointed out though he has moved up in weight and progressed enough that he feels comfortable fighting larger opponents. Even if it appears SMW is the limit for him.

A weight bully is someone who basically drains himself to make a weight class and always has some combination of

1. Weight
2. Height
3. Reach

over his opponents. Even at 168 Canelo has usually a height and reach disadvantage. It completely changes your style.

example would be someone like klitschko who is used to fighting with all three advantages that size gives and then going in with fury all of a sudden, he was lost

A weight bully is someone who basically drains himself to make a weight class and always has some combination of

1. Weight
2. Height
3. Reach

over his opponents. Even at 168 Canelo has usually a height and reach disadvantage. It completely changes your style.

example would be someone like klitschko who is used to fighting with all three advantages that size gives and then going in with fury all of a sudden, he was lost
Don't you agree that Canelo would be the weight bully if he fought Crawford at 168?

Manny fought a weight drained Oscar. The Margarito fight was one of his biggest accomplishments. As far as that photo is concerned, as opposed to their official heights, I'll go with the official heights. Put flip flops on Bud, high heels on Mayweather and have him stand closer to the camera, I guarantee your eyes will tell you Mayweather is the much bigger fighter.

Canelo was in his early prime a JMW, he's spent years gaining weight, do you even remember him ducking GGG until he was more comfortable at MW? The guy he beat for the title was in his prime at JWW. Canelo is now the undisputed SMW champ and has fought competitively against LHWs. It's laughable to think bud could jump 3 weight classes and be competitive against another PFPer.

How about we make that fight but have Canelo make weight at 152 like for the Mayweather fight. They're the same height so there should be no problem right?

So you live in a universe where a change in angles and shoes will make Floyd look bigger than Crawford? lmao. There are multiple photos out there and Crawford looks bigger in every single one. You are delusional. That photo is a bit misleading but he is still bigger. If manny could do it vs Marqarito, and Roy Jones vs Ruiz, where they were at actual huge size disadvantages why can't crawford?

It's laughable to think bud could jump 3 weight classes and be competitive against another PFPer.

Canelo has not been at a p4p level for years. He is just living off his reputation now and fooling people like you. There is a reason why he is chasing fights with 154 pounders these days.

I think this fight will happen and Crawford can definitely beat him. Canelo loves chasing big hype fights where he is at an advantage, like the Charlo fight, so I expect the talk to start next year especially if he looks good vs Charlo. You still don't realize the game Canelo is playing.

So you live in a universe where a change in angles and shoes will make Floyd look bigger than Crawford? lmao. There are multiple photos out there and Crawford looks bigger in every single one. You are delusional. That photo is a bit misleading but he is still bigger. If manny could do it vs Marqarito, and Roy Jones vs Ruiz, where they were at actual huge size disadvantages why can't crawford?

Canelo has not been at a p4p level for years. He is just living off his reputation now and fooling people like you. There is a reason why he is chasing fights with 154 pounders these days.

I think this fight will happen and Crawford can definitely beat him. Canelo loves chasing big hype fights where he is at an advantage, like the Charlo fight, so I expect the talk to start next year especially if he looks good vs Charlo. You still don't realize the game Canelo is playing.
I'm delusional but you're the one ignoring official heights and going by a picture where one guy is wearing sneakers and the other guy boots.

Margarito was a hard fight because of his size, toughness, and punching power/work rate but he was not as good as Canelo. Ruiz was a cherry pick for Roy. It was no different than the many great fighters that have moved up to beat slower HW contenders. The Champ at that time was Lewis and Roy was wise to avoid that fight.

I doubt the fight happens as Crawford himself has stated the weight spread is too big. You can be confident in your fantasy match up prediction and if they ever do fight at SMW I'll be happy to have a sig bet with you.

I'm delusional but you're the one ignoring official heights and going by a picture where one guy is wearing sneakers and the other guy boots.

Yes its delusional to use official heights which have a history of being inaccurate over actual photos.

Margarito was a hard fight because of his size, toughness, and punching power/work rate but he was not as good as Canelo. Ruiz was a cherry pick for Roy. It was no different than the many great fighters that have moved up to beat slower HW contenders. The Champ at that time was Lewis and Roy was wise to avoid that fight.

But Ruiz and Margarito had significant size advantage on fight night that Canelo will not have. They were 20 -30 lbs bigger on fight night plus much taller and longer. Crawford would be taller and longer.

I doubt the fight happens as Crawford himself has stated the weight spread is too big. You can be confident in your fantasy match up prediction and if they ever do fight at SMW I'll be happy to have a sig bet with you.

What Crawford says now and after they wave 40m infront of him are very different things. This is how to make a deal.

No absolutely not. Canelo has the skill set, at the very least, as good as Crawford, the vision, at the very least as good as Crawford and is used to fighting guys 30 lbs heavier than Crawford....And he would be the bigger guy even at 5'8:...Canelo wins without much duress.

Saw an interview the other day where Bud says that Canelo is too big and he has no interest in fighting him. Also, says he has only a few fights left and not enough time to bulk or move up.
Looks like Bud will just probably end his career trying to unify at 154.

Underwhelming a bit. However still decent fights there.

Canelo hasn’t been p4p for years based on what?

Looking like trash vs Bivol, old GGG and Ryder?

With a week we already have an initial proposal weight. Still confident the fight never happens?:)

With a week we already have an initial proposal weight. Still confident the fight never happens?:)

Canelo isn't going to drain himself down to 158 just to appease Bud. He's the A-side. I also doubt he can even make 160 anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back