Would GSP have been able to hold Anderson down for 5 rounds?

Anderson cut Sonnen so bad the doctor had to come in between rounds and clear him to continue. Elbow off his back.
Similarly, Bisping was shredding GSP’s face with elbows off his back and Silva is better than Mike off his back

Can’t hold someone down when you’re ducking them

Rockhold?! Holy shit no. People need to stop including him with elite wrestlers. He's a kickboxer who is oversized for his weight class.

EDIT: Respectfully, Rockhold of course is a a pretty damn good grappler, he wouldn't be there if he wasn't. I just don't see him having the elite ground game of a Jones or a Khabib.

Rockhold's top game is filthy. He just isn't a complete grappler to the extent Jones/Khabib are in a MMA context, mostly because he lacks the wrestling chops.

But his top game in isolation is absolutely on the level. His overall sub-grappling game is excellent.

Plenty of heavy hitters in sub-grappling who have rolled with him have given him major props.

GSP had the best top game in MMA, but Silva was very dangerous off his back with both submissions and strikes.

Sonnen held Silva down for 4.5 rounds but GSP was cut open in Bisping's guard.

Interesting to think about
I think GSP pins him down and mounts him like its their wedding night.

Rinse and repeat for 5 rounds, 5 chances for Anderson to land a flush KO. GSP isn't going to get caught in a sloppy triangle.

No way. He would've gotten subbed.
Henderson tried to outwrestle Silva, Cormier tried, Sonnen tried twice - they all failed to effectively hold Silva down except for Sonnen 1 and we know how that fight went, and if you watch the second fight against Chael it's clear Silva improved his TDD and gameplan against wrestlers even more after that experience.

This again...

tenor.gif

Weight classes exist for a reason. I think Anderson was just too big for him at 185.

Now, if the fight happened at 177.5, that would be much more interesting.

GSP's top game is good but I believe it is a bit dated. Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember him content with sitting in guard and switching between a one handed can opener or a frame on the neck and land elbows with free arm. He would sometimes stand up but it's still within the guard context. Rinse and repeat for the win. I do admit there are times he would pass the guard to side or mount but majority of the cooking is done in guard.
I don't believe he can control bigger guys with the same ease. I don't know where this small WW narrative is coming from but GSP was one of the bigger physical guys in his weight class when he was in the middle of his run.

He avoided this fight for the reason. Even much bigger Sonnen wasnt able to lnp prime Anderson. Even fantastic grappler like Weidman wasnt able to smash Silva from top.

5 minutes. I think the size difference would negate most of GSPs incredible top game. 5 minutes and a triangle would end it.

And...

Rockhold?! Holy shit no. People need to stop including him with elite wrestlers. He's a kickboxer who is oversized for his weight class.

EDIT: Respectfully, Rockhold of course is a a pretty damn good grappler, he wouldn't be there if he wasn't. I just don't see him having the elite ground game of a Jones or a Khabib.

Why not ? Have you seen him completely manhandling Weidman on the ground ? Most of his finished are via either brutal GnP or submissions ... Luke's ground game is elite as it gets

GSP could have kept the Spider down... that I have no doubt... BUT... I am not sure he would have been able to take Anderson down all 5 rounds... prime Silva was both huge MW and a monster on his feet. One of the reasons that Chael was so successful against Anderson was because he was a big MW as well with exceptional wrestling. I think Georges would have been safe after 3 rounds, and I don't think Silva' BJJ off his back would have been a factor... but in the first 2 rounds, a fresh Silva would have been exceedingly dangerous standing... his skill, speed, power and accuracy would have presented real problems to the smaller GSP.

GSP would have no problem keeping Anderson on the ground for 5 rounds and not get submitted. Sonnen did it and Sonnen admitted GSP's grappling was better than his in sparring even though he was bigger. Sonnen's striking is average at best and barely beat Bisping. GSP already beat Bisping both striking and grappling. GSP have one of the best striking to takedown transitions in the game and would have no problem taking Anderson down in one of his attempts, the rest is grapple fucking which is what GSP does best, and he has the submission game to keep it that way and not get subbed. Anderson would always have a striker's chance, but I wouldn't bet on it.

GSP had the best top game in MMA, but Silva was very dangerous off his back with both submissions and strikes.

Sonnen held Silva down for 4.5 rounds but GSP was cut open in Bisping's guard.

Interesting to think about

In theory, yes. Chael was able to do it. And according to Chael, GSP got the better of him in training. So my guess is that GSP is better than Chael and so he should, in theory, be able to hold down Silva for 5 rounds and ride out a decision. I'm sure his triangle defense is better than Chael's too.

TS Anderson was not that dangerous off his back. He was effective in using his length to keep people in low guard and avoiding damage while running out the clock to get a stand up via the round ending.

That said if you were sloppy, gassed, damaged or had very poor sub defense Anderson could grab a submission. But he was not going to submit any good top control fighter who was not hurt or gassed and who took him down. NOT going to happen.

To the question in your OP, it is a toss up. Anderson certainly would not be in great fear of GSP establishing top position on him which would allow Anderson to be aggressive looking to land a strike on the feet. And if he caught GSP, it could be over. Anderson was a great striker.

But if GSP established early with a TD that he could pass Anderson's guard (GSP was the best guard passer in MMA) and could land some devastating elbows (GNP) then everything changes. Anderson was fully confident against Weidman too even through the first take down. He thought, that like with Sonnen, he could control Weidman and just eat pitter patter punches if necessary until a round ended and they were stood back up. That was UNTIL Weidman landed his first set of GNP and you saw Anderson's eyes roll back in his head. From that point on Anderson had to fight entirely differently both standing and on the ground. He had to fight with desperation to not being taken down again (and risk getting ko'd that way) which impacted greatly his striking on his feet allowing Weidman to outside him easily and KO him standing.

If GSP could land the same type of GNP he landed on BJ, then he wins the fight 50:45. If however Anderson can use his low guard and keep GSP from passing or doing anything in guard I think Anderson takes over the fight in the latter rounds and wins.

At MW I favour Anderson. At WW, GSP is the favorite. At CW its a true coin flip.

Back