Would you rate Woodley as a greater welterweight than GSP?

Lol. At attempting to discredit the Mach win because he's a "155er".

Mach also fought Anderson Silva (for a 170 title) and Shields, in the same year. Hughes was the only man able to finish Mach, in his entire career up till that point.

Shameful how this WW had to show these MWs how to beat up a LW.

your join date implies you would know that at that time a lot of asian fighters fought non-asian fighters above their fight weight and even their natural weight.
sakuraba and bj penn to name a few. but if you want to count it...go ahead.

in terms of all time greatness ratings

I have seen some people argue Woodley is the GOAT WW, which means he would be over GSP
He had potential to make a case... with A LOT of further accomplishments as champion.
He was and is a very good fighter, but on WHAT GROUNDS would anyone base that claim?
None of these guys are the consumate mixed martial artist that he is to this day.
Woodley would have had a good shot against him if they'd have fought when Woodley was champ, but that's all about timing, and not much else. And that's not to say that Woodley would for sure take him.

Alright. Sakurai was one of the top p4p fighters in the world when Matt beat him. Sherk was 19-0-1 when he fought Hughes and ended up going to 30-1-1 until he ran into GSP. Penn is Penn. I agree the Royce fight was basically a gimmie. But it would be ignorant to say Matt wasn't a top fighter on the planet and the king of WW until Georges arrived.

yea...but that doesn't change the fact that the division was so thin hughes that his first fight in the UFC was for the title.
doesn't change the fact that matt fought at least three 155ers, sherk, penn and sakuari. his competition wasn't the same caliber as GSP era, Woodley's era not even USMAN's era.

he cant fight against a pressure fighter and has dogshit output and cardio

no

So many trolls in this thread that think GSP is greater than Woodley despite Woodley having Wonderboy AND Maia on his resume.

Don't get me wrong, GSP is right after Woodley next to Usman in terms of GOAT WWs, but it's obvious at this point who's greater. The proof is in the pudding and facts don't lie.

I remember some people saying that when he was champ but I think now they gave up that idea.

Woodley lost to Jake Shields. GSP destroyed Shields.

Enough of a comparison right there.

<{cruzshake}>

You must think destroyed means something different than what it actually means

Accomplishments wise no

however woodley beats any version of gsp

This thread proves how fickle fans are. Back when Woodley became champ, people were saying that he was already greater than GSP. They were saying that he would KTFO GSP and how his wins were so much better because of more current competition.

Then he lost and suddenly everyone snaps back to reality. It's the same way with Usman right now.

Woodley was impressive against Lawler and till, had 2 fights that easily could have gone for Wonderboy, a stinker v maia and shit the bed against Usman. He's not the ww goat.

Funny how you all agree it’s GSP now but one year ago Woodley was the greatest WW of all time.

I got called racist so many times for saying Woodley wasn’t nearly as good :rolleyes:
Dont be dumb.....Woodley was never considered better or greater than GSP at any point.

your join date implies you would know that at that time a lot of asian fighters fought non-asian fighters above their fight weight and even their natural weight.
sakuraba and bj penn to name a few. but if you want to count it...go ahead.

Mach was a shooto middleweight champion(170) a few months before fighting Hughes, at 170.

He failed to be PRIDE LW champion after this fight (160)

Then fought for the dream WW title(170), after that.

He was also p4p #1 at some time.

But you're telling me this was a lousy win, for Hughes. Despite Anderson Silva and Jake Shields failing to do as well as he did. Cuz he's a small Asian.

Okay. Thanks for that.

Back