Would you rather be euthanized..

Hung Like a Hamster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Let say you're at a late stage and in pain. Would you rather be euthanized on a certain day(Selected), or at a random time?(Not knowing when) I honestly think a random time would be best especially if im asleep.

Let say you're at a late stage and in pain. Would you rather be euthanized on a certain day(Selected), or at a random time?(Not knowing when) I honestly think a random time would be best especially if im asleep.
In Canada that depends on where you are on the waiting list

If I'm in that much pain then...

I'd like to know when it's going to happen so that...
I can make sure it's as soon as possible.

Grandmother-in-law is currently on her way out. Been bed-ridden for about a year after falling and breaking her hip. Being dropped a couple of time by nurses in her home ended her enthusiasm to rehabilitate, hence bed-ridden.

A few blockages, urinary infections, and most recently a bout of sepsis (back home now, but in really bad shape) have had her discussing her preference: a DNR, basically, but other than that since euthanasia isn't an option she's gotta ride it out.

It's at this point I see the validity to the "if you offer euthanasia, people will take it if they feel they are a burden" argument, but I'm still not even sure what decisions would be made in this particular example, let alone more generally.

I'm going to guess that if she had the choice right now, she'd take euthanasia ASAP, but then I'm not sure that's altogether the right outcome. She's enjoyed some of the interim moments of calm and relative stability.

Anyway, for me, if I was going to choose euthanasia, I'd want to pick the date. If I had control of the situation I wouldn't want any false dawns or fluffed last goodbyes, I'd want actual finality.

If I'm going out I'm going out like Evan tanner. Not with some needle.

Back