Social would you want to live 40 years in the past, future, or now ?

Questions about living in the past are only posed by and for white males.
I don't see how 40 years ago were any different then now for non white males. Were not going back 80 years.

Past. This is my least favorite time in history to be alive and it seems to be only getting worse.

I don't see how 40 years ago were any different then now for non white males. Were not going back 80 years.

Wha?

40 years ago would be 1984. You are one year removed from when Michael Jackson's Billie Jean video was released in 1983. The same video that MTV refused to air because they had never aired black music videos. CBS Records president threaten to pull their entire collection from being aired on MTV and publicly denounce them for their racial discrimination and MTV immediately relented. As soon as Billie Jean hit MTV it was requested and played at least once every hour for months.

There was a time when MTV only played music videos by white people. That stopped in 1983. Imagine what other racial discrimination was going back then (openly and in closed doors).

Learn yourself some history child....
It was simpler times back then but it was also definitely better for white folks as well compared to minorities.

Wha?

40 years ago would be 1984. You are one year removed from when Michael Jackson's Billie Jean video was released in 1983. The same video that MTV refused to air because they had never aired black music videos. CBS Records president threaten to pull their entire collection from being aired on MTV and publicly denounce them for their racial discrimination and MTV immediately relented. As soon as Billie Jean hit MTV it was requested and played at least once every hour for months.

There was a time when MTV only played music videos by white people. That stopped in 1983. Imagine what other racial discrimination was going back then (openly and in closed doors).

It was simpler times back then but it was also definitely better for white folks as well.
Racism lingered in the 80's?

<WellThere>

That would mean going back to like 1984. We would all probably die of cancer or aids or cancer-aids.
Oddly enough, it was 1984 when the HIV virus was discovered to cause AIDS, lol.

Ridley Scott's Superbowl Apple commercial was a literal masterpiece in advertising, and pretty much changed that game going forward.

In '84 I was 10, and I have to say, the 80's were pretty fucking awesome. Despite the lack of technology (in comparison to the modern age), both kids and adults were happier overall.

You couldn't fuck around with your parents, you'd get put in your place. You couldn't fuck around at school, you'd get put in your place. You couldn't fuck around with strangers and/or friends, you'd get put in your place. And if I am completely honest, we need more of that nowadays. No fucking participation ribbons or safe spaces. You grew up knowing and learning quickly that life sucks, get a helmet and enjoy the ride.

Families didn't NEED two working parents, though it was an option to those that wanted it. Vastly different story today.

Take the internet and screens away from kids nowadays and 95% of them are as dumb as fenceposts and completely lost. I can't imagine what it's going to be like in 40 years from now, I'll be long gone... but given what society is like now, I'm pretty confident I would not be happier then than I was in the 80's.

Wha?

It was simpler times back then but it was also definitely better for white folks as well compared to minorities.
Lets not pretend that racism doesn't exist today, or that there isn't as much, if not more police shootings today. I would even go as far to say, there is more racial divide now, then back in the 80's.

Oddly enough, it was 1984 when the HIV virus was discovered to cause AIDS, lol.

Ridley Scott's Superbowl Apple commercial was a literal masterpiece in advertising, and pretty much changed that game going forward.

In '84 I was 10, and I have to say, the 80's were pretty fucking awesome. Despite the lack of technology (in comparison to the modern age), both kids and adults were happier overall.

You couldn't fuck around with your parents, you'd get put in your place. You couldn't fuck around at school, you'd get put in your place. You couldn't fuck around with strangers and/or friends, you'd get put in your place. And if I am completely honest, we need more of that nowadays. No fucking participation ribbons or safe spaces. You grew up knowing and learning quickly that life sucks, get a helmet and enjoy the ride.

Families didn't NEED two working parents, though it was an option to those that wanted it. Vastly different story today.

Take the internet and screens away from kids nowadays and 95% of them are as dumb as fenceposts and completely lost. I can't imagine what it's going to be like in 40 years from now, I'll be long gone... but given what society is like now, I'm pretty confident I would not be happier then than I was in the 80's.

I would choose the past too but I always laugh when people get upset about participation ribbons.

They are the least worst thing about the modern area. Pollution, cost of living, mass shootings, big-business writing their own laws, opioid addiction, screen addiction… are all worth being crusty about… but ribbons always get mentioned. It is hilarious how pissed off people get about them.

They are stupid but are a meaningless effort to make some kids feel a bit better and make no difference either way. In fact athletes today are superior to the athletes of the past in every category so the ribbons maybe even worked the way they were intended

An interesting question?First of all 40 years ahead? Nah, fuck that..I'll hopefully be dead with the way things are going. 40 years ago my career wouldn't really have existed outside of working for the government(Security Intelligence for a Fortune 500 company). If the previously mentioned "everything transfers over" financial savings wise...ship my ass back with nothing else. I'll figure it out easily even without going into it with a job.

I would choose the past too but I always laugh when people get upset about participation ribbons.

They are the least worst thing about the modern area. Pollution, cost of living, mass shootings, big-business writing their own laws, opioid addiction, screen addiction… are all worth being crusty about… but ribbons always get mentioned. It is hilarious how pissed off people get about them.

They are stupid but are a meaningless effort to make some kids feel a bit better and make no difference either way. In fact athletes today are superior to the athletes of the past in every category so the ribbons maybe even worked the way they were intended

I appreciate the participation ribbon take. Yet, I fully admit as well that they were a source of motivation. We had "Field Day" in K-4 with another school(late 80's/early 90's). It was basically all day Elementary School Olympics against our classmates and other kids that we didn't know(by grade). Everyone was rewarded Blue/Red/White for 1/2/3, there were team events and everything. The "Main Event" was always tug of war which was "blue ribbon or nothing". They allowed everyone to sign up for five "events" some individual and others team, and then the entire school for tug of war.(Obviously not everyone could participate) But, the fear of ending the day as a "participation winner" was shameful. (Just typing that reflection out, those were some good memories)

Last edited:
I appreciate the participation ribbon take. Yet, I fully admit as well that they were a source of motivation. We had "Field Day" in K-4 with another school(late 80's/early 90's). It was basically all day Elementary School Olympics against our classmates and other kids that we didn't know(by grade). Everyone was rewarded Blue/Red/White for 1/2/3, there were team events and everything. The "Main Event" was always tug of war which was "blue ribbon or nothing". They allowed everyone to sign up for five "events" some individual and others team, and then the entire school for tug of war.(Obviously not everyone could participate) But, the fear of ending the day as a "participation winner" was shameful. (Just typing that reflection out, those were some good memories)

Field day and little league baseball: you did not want the participation trophy...

If we are talking 40 years in the past am I going to be the same age or 40 years younger? Dunno if I wanna be a toddler again but it would be sweet to do it all over again and in a better era. The present sucks ass.

40 years in the future. I want to see whether Fallout or Star Trek got it right.

Well, I already lived through 1984. I'd do it again if I could do it as an adult, not a 12 year old. Once was enough for that.

Back