X-Files reboot

Let the triggering commen....oh, it's already started, carry on...
Speaking for myself, lest the wrong conclusion be drawn from my earlier comment, if it's going to go ahead I wish it much success, just to clarify that that wasn't my point at all.

I agree it's funny to hear people complain over the term diverse cast on a show they haven't even seen yet. At the same time, in the case of the blurb in the OP, it's just gotten to be a marketing buzz word at this point, which makes it sound like pandering.

"New and diverse cast...."

Nope.

Progressive america is a giant X-file.

mark-cuban-shark.gif

lol... good lord. I hope they have more going for a reboot than this.

"Carter revealed that he’d spoken with Ryan Coogler, who plans to reboot (or, as Carter says, “remount”) The X-Files with a diverse cast. He didn’t get into any more specifics, but he doesn’t have to. The thought of a supernatural investigative series led by a diverse cast is all we need to hear. "

lol... good lord. I hope they have more going for a reboot than this.

"Carter revealed that he’d spoken with Ryan Coogler, who plans to reboot (or, as Carter says, “remount”) The X-Files with a diverse cast. He didn’t get into any more specifics, but he doesn’t have to. The thought of a supernatural investigative series led by a diverse cast is all we need to hear. "

Will they have a diverse cast? That's what I want to know...

Will they have a diverse cast? That's what I want to know...

lol... Just thinking about this

Government X-Files Conspiracies
- 1990's - UFO's and Aliens
- 2020's - UFO's are lame....

The fuck will the topics be?

Congress Reps insider trading?
Politicians colluding with China over weaponized Covid Virus?
Fake Global Warming?
Global DePopulation through Transing the kids?

lol... 2020's Xfile has the potential to be fucking boring as fuck.

lol... Just thinking about this

Government X-Files Conspiracies
- 1990's - UFO's and Aliens
- 2020's - UFO's are lame....

The fuck will the topics be?

Congress Reps insider trading?
Politicians colluding with China over weaponized Covid Virus?
Fake Global Warming?
Global DePopulation through Transing the kids?

lol... 2020's Xfile has the potential to be fucking boring as fuck.

I vaguely remember in the OG series Scully and Mulder tracking down someone who was able to switch genders at a whim...

But anyway....

Was the recent reboot/reunion with the original cast even successful? Seems like it kinda just came and went, without much fanfare.

As I understand it, and by all means take it with a grain of salt because I didnt do whole lot of looking, both of the new seasons got pretty good ratings and the quality was a little hit or miss, but the good episodes were solid. But Gillian Anderson was a bit ho-hum on coming back and doing Scully so often because she had some other projects she was creatively involved with, like a BBC series called The Fall, plus she thought Duchonvy shouldnt get paid more than her.

So as far as success, it did alright, but Anderson wasnt all that dedicated.

As I understand it, and by all means take it with a grain of salt because I didnt do whole lot of looking, both of the new seasons got pretty good ratings and the quality was a little hit or miss, but the good episodes were solid. But Gillian Anderson was a bit ho-hum on coming back and doing Scully so often because she had some other projects she was creatively involved with, like a BBC series called The Fall, plus she thought Duchonvy shouldnt get paid more than her.

So as far as success, it did alright, but Anderson wasnt all that dedicated.

I do remember it feeling rather phoned in.

Re: Diversi-Files.

I mean, I wanna hold out hope for this one because Im a massive X-Files fan and I think the format lends itself to creating some quality content even if multiple episodes are weak, and Coogler has proven that he's capable of putting out good, entertaining stuff. I always say the problem with the whole diversity thing in entertainment is that when thats the focus, it means theres less focus on quality and it shows. I dont care if they have a diverse cast if the content is good, but whenever they make it the first thing they tell you about their show, its a warning sign. Mulder and/or Scully can be race swapped pretty easily without having much impact on the characters or the story, but if suddenly they cast white men in all the villain roles its gonna be obvious and the show is gonna suffer for it.

Anyway. I want to believe.

I do remember it feeling rather phoned in.
I watched the first new season and for some reason never got around to the second. If I recall it was like 6 episodes and, fitting in the theme of X-files, the "one-off" episodes were the best and the conspiracy episodes were bad to Ok. Darren Morgans episode was the best, and it was still really cool how the show could go in such different tones and formats on an episode to episode basis.

Diversity with the X Files? The truth is out there ...and that truth is no way black people are taking a job willfully chasing down the super natural

I feel like whenever they see a dip in revenues they haul out the TV guide from 1979 or some shit and open it to a random page. There, that's the next one--Diff'rent Strokes giggity, yeah with an all gay cast--brilliant! :p

In the lounge thread @Cajun posted about someone who appeared on Magnum PI and when I looked it up out of curiosity, sure enough, there's a remake of it on now. Ugh.

Ironside next

Except Ironside is now a black woman with Pistorious blades that she uses to brutal effect chasing down baddies while having a will-they-wont-they relationship with her female partner.

I loved the X Files in the 90's, although I mostly lost interest after the first 5 or 6 seasons.

The tv/streaming show market is a lot different now.I remain amazed that they could make 22 episodes of that quality in a year, every year. It feels like this would be a 10 episode a year type series now, right?

The X-Files brand will just be that, a brand. The format itself is adaptable. Long running conspiracy arc with lots of stand alone episodes in between.

These type of things rarely recapture the original magic.

My favorite show ever, so I won’t watch it. I don’t care if it is diverse or whatever. They will fuck it up no matter what. Just going to let the wonderful memories I have be the end of it.

"Diversity" is code word for everyone but white people, unless they are of the alphabet variety...

Back