Television X-MEN '97 (First Official Trailer, post #292)

But they are using the story line from that era so it works. This is when he adopts this costume and loses his helmet in the comics, after Xavier dies and asks him to take over the X-Men. Same in the show. If they continue to follow the comics, the helmet will be back.

clean.jpg

They already adapted other arcs from the 80s and not use the older costume, so for me it doesnt really justify it. Its not really that they follow the comics they just adapt arcs and set them in the Jim Lee days.

Last edited:
I love X-Men

Did not love X Men 97

In the comics the arch from them in Australia till Onslaught
is one of the best ever.

Last edited:
They already adapted other arcs from the 80s and not use the older costume, so for me it doesnt really justify it. Its not really that they follow the comics they just adapt arcs and set them in the Jim Lee days.
Sure, but he took on this costume at this specific time in the story, after the death of Professor X when he took over the X-Men so it at least makes sense. With Xavier gone no need for the helmet. It's not like they just randomly chose this old costume. I'm actually glad that they did this, would look weird for him to head the X-Men in his other costume.

If there's one X-Man who has rarely, if ever, had the opportunity to display their powers to their full potential, its Cyclops. In this 1st episode he really shows how powerful he can be moreso than at any point in the OG series, and why he's always been the team leader. Quite possibly the best superhero landing ever.
"See you on the ground."

"See you on the ground."

Reminds me of the last 4 episodes of Clone Wars.

-"We didn't pack an extra jetpack, sorry Commander."
-"Don't need one. Race you to the surface."

It makes me consider animation may be the best medium for mutant powers, force powers, and magic in general. Less of reliance upon realism without the suspension of disbelief.

If Cyclops had done that 'super hero landing' in a movie I don't think there'd be a way it could be filmed that most of the critical audience would say 'that was awesome' like we have after watching it in animation.

It also reminds me of the scene from the Ahsoka series that was a flashback to the clone wars with teenage Ahsoka running through a warzone avoiding oncoming fire. Watching The Clone Wars movie & series you never get the uncomfortable feeling with a teenager being in a warzone, or fighting with lightsabers... because its animation. But seeing it in live-action the reality immediately sets in she's a child soldier.

That's something we saw, but never noticed, in the X-Men films, with the teenage students of the X-Mansion weren't put on the front-lines of a battle... or rather the younger teenagers. I recall Colossus and Iceman being on the front lines of the final battle of X-Men3, but they're older students in their late teens and the actors are clearly in their 20s.

Just something I thought was worth mentioning.

Great nostalgic feeling watching this.
It's a pretty good continuance and I'm liking what they've done so far.
The action has been great and Cyclops is finally the bad ass he is supposed to be.

I am not a fan of some of the voice work though. Wolverine's voice sounds like trash, and Rogue sounds like the old woman that the actress has become. I get that the idea of getting back original actors is cool, but her voice is different now. Doesn't match up with the character's appearance at all. She's clearly a spunky, youthful character and that's not being conveyed in that voice.
Everyone else has been pretty solid though---I liked Jubilee and Morph...and Sunspot was a good addition.

I don't really like how Magneto's face is, or how Storm's eyes are...she looks like a cat. Thankfully, all of the other doom and gloom about stuff like tweaks to their bodies was all for nothing.

I just blew through the first season of the original series. Found a nice ai upscaled version of the whole series online. This show is still great today. I'm all hyped for X-Men again, the movies never really did it for me. Animation is the better medium IMO.

i think my only complaint is the voice acting. a lot of it sounds off. other than that, first two episodes were great

I thought the first two episodes were only okay. A little light in action and a little more soap opera than I care for (Wolverine/Jean/Cyclops and now Rogue/Gambit/Magneto).

Biggest complaint is not using this song for the outro and making a longer version.

For those who are wanting a summary of the Magneto & Rogue relationship -

Skip to 3:00 for the point, rather than all the set-up.

These Cable VS Wolverine scenes from the original series hit differently now knowing Wolverine was there at Cable's birth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back