Xbox Xbox Going Multiplatform?

Hyperglide

Tell Apathy
@Gold
Reaction score
I heard rumours yesterday from multiple "sources" that Microsoft is rumoured to be making all their 1st party games multiplatform. Anyone know if this is confirmed or surprised.

Rumors started a couple of weeks ago with Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves, then slowly started getting more and more traction then exploded last night / today with more games rumored

Hope this means Xbox is getting some coming the other way or I am done with M$ after this gen.

Rumors indicate they may be going the way of Sega and in the process they're going to leave Game Pass, and eventually, consoles behind. If this is the case, no matter how much I prefer XBL over PSN, and believe Game Pass to be an incredible value, it would render Microsoft consoles obsolete right into the next generation. They are seemingly moving ahead with creating hardware for next gen which would contradict this news, but at point, it seems like there's a lot going on here and the decision makers are not on the same page.

Surprised? Yes, because Phil has been on record many times not being a fan of multiplatform games. He did in an interview saying it was a mistake for xbox to release Ori on Nintendo Switch.

With that said consoles sales are cratering and game pass subs have stalled. During the FTC trial Phil stated they've had virtually no growth for all of 2022. That's a bad sign for any sub service. They projected to be at close to 50 million subs by now and the last announced number was 25.

I think a lot of these decisions are coming from above Phil though at this point.
Rumors indicate they may be going the way of Sega and in the process they're going to leave Game Pass, and eventually, consoles behind. If this is the case, no matter how much I prefer XBL over PSN, and believe Game Pass to be an incredible value, it would render Microsoft consoles obsolete right into the next generation. They are seemingly moving ahead with creating hardware for next gen which would contradict this news, but at point, it seems like there's a lot going on here and the decision makers are not on the same page.

From what I heard they are 100% staying in hardware but there's no real guarantee it will be a traditional console. There are plans for a handheld, cloud type stick, etc. I've even heard rumors of them doing some sort of OEM xbox device similar to what Steam did with Steam boxes.

Surprised? Yes, because Phil has been on record many times not being a fan of multiplatform games. He did in an interview saying it was a mistake for xbox to release Ori on Nintendo Switch.

With that said consoles sales are cratering and game pass subs have stalled. During the FTC trial Phil stated they've had virtually no growth for all of 2022. That's a bad sign for any sub service. They projected to be at close to 50 million subs by now and the last announced number was 25.

I think a lot of these decisions are coming from above Phil though at this point.

From what I heard they are 100% staying in hardware but there's no real guarantee it will be a traditional console. There are plans for a handheld, cloud type stick, etc. I've even heard rumors of them doing some sort of OEM xbox device similar to what Steam did with Steam boxes.

No point to own anything hardware related from Microsoft if they have all their games go multiplatform. I can just wait a few months and get it on the PS5/6 months later, or even longer when it's cheaper, since I won't be able to rely on GamePass any longer. I really hate the PS5 UI and PSN. It's one of the main reasons I play all my multi-plat games on Xbox. Microsoft should come out and put an end to the speculation soon. The rumors are pretty damaging if they're not going this route.

They stopped development on the streaming stick, plus supposedly the funding for Xcloud is non existent now

No point to own anything hardware related from Microsoft if they have all their games go multiplatform. I can just wait a few months and get it on the PS5/6 months later, or even longer when it's cheaper, since I won't be able to rely on GamePass any longer. I really hate the PS5 UI and PSN. It's one of the main reasons I play all my multi-plat games on Xbox. Microsoft should could out and put an end to the speculation soon. The rumors are pretty damaging if they're not going this route.

I agree. I really don't understand this move but I haven't understood much of what MS does since the end of the 360 era. I couldn't agree more with you about the PS5 UI. I can't stand it but they make all the games I want to play so that's where I go. Luckily very little time is spent in the UI and I just go straight to my games and move on. I've never noticed a difference between PSN and XBL. I didn't really get onto PSN until PS4 though so maybe it improved by then. Before that I was all 360 and I hardly played online then anyways.

They stopped development on the streaming stick, plus supposedly the funding for Xcloud is non existent now

I remember they stopped but I figured they would just come back to it by the time 2026\2027 rolls around. I had no idea about Xcloud but it's not surprising. I don't know why they were so confident in cloud gaming.

I agree. I really don't understand this move but I haven't understood much of what MS does since the end of the 360 era. I couldn't agree more with you about the PS5 UI. I can't stand it but they make all the games I want to play so that's where I go. Luckily very little time is spent in the UI and I just go straight to my games and move on. I've never noticed a difference between PSN and XBL. I didn't really get onto PSN until PS4 though so maybe it improved by then. Before that I was all 360 and I hardly played online then anyways.

I remember they stopped but I figured they would just come back to it by the time 2026\2027 rolls around. I had no idea about Xcloud but it's not surprising. I don't know why they were so confident in cloud gaming.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate COD and am a huge Gears of War guy. I never got into PUBG or Fortnite. My brother and a couple of close friends still play Gears 5 every week. We love XBL and how effortless it is compared to PSN. It'll be kind of sad to see Xbox go away. I remember leaving school early to play splitscreen Halo: Combat Evolved with my friends. I usually end up with both consoles each generation as I want to play everything, but I'll always get the Xbox first, since the PS3/360 days. Microsoft has fucked up so extensively with the outlook of the Xbox that they had to buy Activision/Blizzard to save it and now they go multi-plat? Just mind boggling. Regardless, at the end of the day, I'll go where the games go.

If it’s true then the reason as to why is pretty simple.

Phil isn’t hitting his targets and companies the size of MS tend to not like that sort of thing.

He was never going to be allowed to spend what he has on publishers without GP subscriptions skyrocketing, something had to give.

Folks have been saying as much for ages now.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate COD and am a huge Gears of War guy. I never got into PUBG or Fortnite. My brother and a couple of close friends still play Gears 5 every week. We love XBL and how effortless it is compared to PSN. It'll be kind of sad to see Xbox go away. I remember leaving school early to play splitscreen Halo: Combat Evolved with my friends. I usually end up with both consoles each generation as I want to play everything, but I'll always get the Xbox first, since the PS3/360 days. Microsoft has fucked up so extensively with the outlook of the Xbox that they had to buy Activision/Blizzard to save it and now they go multi-plat? Just mind boggling. Regardless, at the end of the day, I'll go where the games go.

I don't hate COD but I don't but any of the games. I do think Warzone can be fun in small doses. Gears and Mass Effect were the #1 reason I purchased an Xbox 360. I remember going to a friends house, hadn't played games in years at this point. I saw Gears of War and was blown away. Picked up a 360 and TV that next weekend.

It will be weird to see the change though. Reminds me of when Sega left the hardware business. I was so pissed because It was literally the first console I saved up for and purchased with my own money and then Sega dropped it. I had a lot of fun with the online Phantasy star at least.

One of the theories, as M$ hasn't addressed the rumors is they are buying more companies,. essentially becoming the largest video game publisher. so they need to show they are not locking the games to their console.
Again it's just rumors for now, but economically it makes sense even for a multi trillion dollar company doesn't want to always lose money in a division.

Last edited:

Yeah last fiscal it was single figure millions according to a transcript from the court case / leaks and then looking like it was decreasing again after that

We'll know more next week by the looks of it

Bro I can never beat you it's insane how quick you are.
So basically confirming they are increasing multiplatform output as they did not deny the rumors.
And this lines up with rumor of something within two weeks that also was among the leaks.

One of the theories, as M$ hasn't addressed the rumors is they are buying more companies,. essentially becoming the largest video game publisher. so they need to show they are not locking the games to their console.
Again it's just rumors for now, but economically it makes sense even for a multi trillion dollar company doesn't want to always lose money.

The only problem with that is several people have made it clear they aren't exiting the hardware market. So buying up more publishers will still be an issue for them.

Back