Social Yale study: Libs talk down to minorities

Non white immigrant here. Some of the liberals here in the East Coast are very nice to minorities...until you disagree with them. Heck even here on the ofrum we have some many liberals trying to lecture the Brazilians on how thye should think about their own country!

you also have to realize that were experiencing a new generation representing both parties. Millennials and now Gen Z of the right and left

What about all the old people who make up the bulk of the Republican Party. What about all the phony religious people who act holier than thou all these years.
You’re just making up lies for the hypocrisy that is the republican base

What about all the old people who make up the bulk of the Republican Party. What about all the phony religious people who act holier than thou all these years.
You’re just making up lies for the hypocrisy that is the republican base
the ones online aren't represented by the elderly, bud. New guard of republicans are really just working class millennials. Also, don't get emotional with me. Im not getting emotional with you.

the ones online aren't represented by the elderly, bud. New guard of republicans are really just working class millennials. Also, don't get emotional with me. Im not getting emotional with you.

Those online crazies are a small number compared to the base of the party

I’m surprised how much MSM this got .. wait no I’m not

I have an opinion, yes, and I think it is more accurate than your own. You have an opinion and you think it is more accurate than mine. That's fine, and that's why we're here discussing.

Let me reiterate. You said that there are other reasons besides a perceived lack of intelligence. I agree, but there is also a perceived lack of intelligence.

If you want to rely on your own personal anecdotes to dismiss this, that's cool, but I am not suggesting anything about you personally.

Cool, I don't think it's sizable either, this is a subset of a subset.

I understand there is nuance to racism and the definition has evolved and that context matters. I understand it's not all so cut and dry when dealing with these things, and especially when you add friends to the mix. That still doesn't negate the fact that treating people differently because the color of their skin is technically racist, and it doesn't always need to be negative.. And of course what may look like someone treating someone differently because of their skin color may be actually them judging their socio economic status or whatever, I'm sure that happens too. But when you generalize like, this guy probably can't swim because he's black, it is a form of prejudice even if the people generalizing love you.
You think that your opinion is more accurate than mine based on what?
Having countless conversations with white liberals as a black guy? Because that's what I'm basing my opinion on. All opinions aren't created equal.
And I'm not saying that "because I"m black, I'm right, and you can't have an opinion on this". But, you have to put yourself in my shoes for a second, and see how ridiculous this looks to a person like me.
I'm on a board full of mostly white guys constantly offering up their opinions and "knowledge" on "the black community" and it's problems, whilst never having stepped foot/lived in one of these communities, or having had an actual conversation about race with a black person face to face..and yet...somehow they know better than a person that has actually experienced/lived this.
I mean, your belief that liberals think blacks are not intelligent is based on what exactly? I think that is a pretty damn serious charge to level against someone--I don't even think that of nothing but the most racist of the right--the side where if there are racists, that's where they are.

It is bizarre to me, because I would never pretend to know about the problems on a native American reservation, or the problems and social dynamics in a rural white town in Arkansas---but, somehow, everyone else are experts on 'the black community'..
But I digress...when you use words like "coddle", you expose your obvious bias. That is a typical right wing talking point about liberal policies in regards to social welfare.
It is why so many minorities DON'T vote Republican. That doesn't mean the Democrats are the perfect party for minorities, they aren't. But they at least acknowledge some simple truths that the right refuse to. There is a refusal by many on the right to acknowledge that blacks have different barriers to success than whites. You believe that everyone can just "pull themselves up by their bootstraps and make it", and that we all have the same starting point, and that is not true for all groups of people. There are communities at a disadvantage, that need help. And when a liberal or minority says this, they are "playing the victim role"
Helping a person in need is not 'coddling'.
Can some white liberals go overboard? Yeah, sure. But are they doing it because they think that we're too stupid to do it for ourselves? No. It is you, and others that brought up this argument about competence and intelligence. And it is wrong. Liberals acknowledge that there are systemic barriers that hold back certain groups of people--that doesn't mean they individually lack the ability (mentally) to help themselves.

I do appreciate your civility here, and I mean no offense when I say this, but your opinion on race is just flat out dumb, man. If you understand that there is context and nuance, then what you typed after that is horse shit. Your definition and usage of the word 'racist' is pointless, and needlessly divisive.
We're not 2 linguistic professors discussing all of the possible applications of the usage of a word. We're talking about how the word is actually used by 2 normal people talking in a normal conversation. And the word 'racist' is not used in the way that you're trying to apply it. At least not in a way that makes sense.

In your usage of the word, a white girl that is into black guys because she likes big dicks and muscles, it is accurate to call her 'racist'. Saying a Korean is good at math because their parents usually force them to drill math from a young age is racist? This is stupid. "Racist' is about discrimination, causing pain, thinking that someone is beneath you. "Treating someone different" because of their race, regardless of how you treat them, is a stupid way to classify the word 'racist'. It is ignoring that there ARE physical and cultural differences between us. It's like when people say "I don't see color". This is wrong. We all see color, and there is nothing wrong with that. How you act on it is what makes you right or wrong. I'm very well aware of my white friends whiteness, that doesn't make me a racist.
Someone seeing me as black, and knowing that we might have some cultural and physical differences doesn't make them a racist.

Great post overall, but this deserves special attention. I posted a picture to illustrate a related issue, but this comes up in these kinds of discussions a lot because of widespread statistical illiteracy (in the media and among consumers of media) combined with hackishness. In a lot of studies, people will find very slight but statistically significant differences in the means of two groups, and it will be reported as (or readers will interpret it as) "Xes support A, while Ys oppose A." It encourages exactly the kind of thinking that leads to racism and other harmful and wrong isms.

I didn't go deeply enough into this study, though it's clear that there are significant flaws in the first half of it (Inga says the second half is more interesting, and while I don't think highly of her honesty, I'll take her word for it for now). But it's entirely possible that that's the case here, and thus that any individual's observations wouldn't be enough to enable them to tell the difference between the two groups along the axis being discussed.
Thanks, and I totally agree.
Stats are so often misunderstood and manipulated, and most people don't know exactly what they are looking at, or how to apply those stats to real life situations.
The first half of that study was most definitely flawed, so we're starting off this whole debate on shaky ground. I'd be interested to read the entire study at some point, but from what I read, I see some obvious issues. They, as well as Inga automatically made the white liberals interactions with minorities about race and intelligence. I would be curious to see how they can so assuredly tie those things together as THE causes for the way that they speak. There are a lot more variables that make a lot more sense to me then "white liberals think black people are stupid".

Having countless conversations with white liberals as a black guy? Because that's what I'm basing my opinion on. All opinions aren't created equal.
And I'm not saying that "because I"m black, I'm right, and you can't have an opinion on this". But, you have to put yourself in my shoes for a second, and see how ridiculous this looks to a person like me.
I'm on a board full of mostly white guys constantly offering up their opinions and "knowledge" on "the black community" and it's problems, whilst never having stepped foot/lived in one of these communities, or having had an actual conversation about race with a black person face to face..and yet...somehow they know better than a person that has actually experienced/lived this.
I mean, your belief that liberals think blacks are not intelligent is based on what exactly? I think that is a pretty damn serious charge to level against someone--I don't even think that of nothing but the most racist of the right--the side where if there are racists, that's where they are.

It is bizarre to me, because I would never pretend to know about the problems on a native American reservation, or the problems and social dynamics in a rural white town in Arkansas---but, somehow, everyone else are experts on 'the black community'..
But I digress...when you use words like "coddle", you expose your obvious bias. That is a typical right wing talking point about liberal policies in regards to social welfare.
It is why so many minorities DON'T vote Republican. That doesn't mean the Democrats are the perfect party for minorities, they aren't. But they at least acknowledge some simple truths that the right refuse to. There is a refusal by many on the right to acknowledge that blacks have different barriers to success than whites. You believe that everyone can just "pull themselves up by their bootstraps and make it", and that we all have the same starting point, and that is not true for all groups of people. There are communities at a disadvantage, that need help. And when a liberal or minority says this, they are "playing the victim role"
Can some white liberals go overboard? Yeah, sure. But are they doing it because they think that we're too stupid to do it for ourselves? No. It is you, and others that brought up this argument about competence and intelligence. And it is wrong. Liberals acknowledge that there are systemic barriers that hold back certain groups of people--that doesn't mean they individually lack the ability (mentally) to help themselves.

I do appreciate your civility here, and I mean no offense when I say this, but your opinion on race is just flat out dumb, man. If you understand that there is context and nuance, then what you typed after that is horse shit. Your definition and usage of the word 'racist' is pointless, and needlessly divisive.
We're not 2 linguistic professors discussing all of the possible applications of the usage of a word. We're talking about how the word is actually used by 2 normal people talking in a normal conversation. And the word 'racist' is not used in the way that you're trying to apply it. At least not in a way that makes sense.

In your usage of the word, a white girl that is into black guys because she likes big dicks and muscles, it is accurate to call her 'racist'. Saying a Korean is good at math because their parents usually force them to drill math from a young age is racist? This is stupid. "Racist' is about discrimination, causing pain, thinking that someone is beneath you. "Treating someone different" because of their race, regardless of how you treat them, is a stupid way to classify the word 'racist'. It is ignoring that there ARE physical and cultural differences between us. It's like when people say "I don't see color". This is wrong. We all see color, and there is nothing wrong with that. How you act on it is what makes you right or wrong. I'm very well aware of my white friends whiteness, that doesn't make me a racist.
Someone seeing me as black, and knowing that we might have some cultural and physical differences doesn't make them a racist.

I appreciate your post but we're too far apart to find common ground, and I'm not really interested in going round and round on this one, agree to disagree.

As I said, intent is everything. And as a minority, I know that the general liberal has good intentions towards me. So if they make a bad joke, or do something cringey , I'm not going to automatically assume that there was anything malicious meant behind the joke.
Robert Downy Jr doesn't get the pass just because he was hilarious, but also because I know that his intent wasn't to offend or to demean.
I don't know what Tucker's intent is, because I don't know that guy like that--and he has said things that would make me question what he really thinks about blacks.

When you hear something racially insensitive, or, flat out racist, it usually comes from a conservative, so why would a minority treat them like they would treat a liberal? It wouldn't make any sense to.
since we're giving experiences in this thread, i'll give mine as a white guy with lots of white friends in a area with mainly white, and asian people.

throughout my entire life there have only been a handful of times i've actually heard the n-word(with an "er") as an actual synonym for "black guy" in my everyday life. the people who have used it genuinely(two different guys i'm thinking of) have been people who do indeed consider themselves to have classical liberal beliefs and thinks everyone should be treated equally and with respect and all that. and funnily enough when ever i have seen them interact with a random black guy they dobecome overly friendly and they do start talking more "hood", which was fucking pathetic to see. it's not pathetic because i've seen them say some clearly racist shit and all of a sudden they are trying to be fit in with the black person, it was pathetic because it actually made me cringe how fucking fake they suddenly became when a black person was in their presence. major overcompensation.

on the flip side, when ever i've noticed my conservative friends talk to a black person they talk to them like they are any other person. some times they are awkward, but i've never noticed any of them overcompensate while trying to talk to black people.

it's always been a trope that behind closed doors white people all of a sudden drop the n-word none stop. first off that's not true, but secondly the ones that i have heard drop the n-word behind closed doors are the more liberal kumbaya types.

also i'd like to talk about knowing that a liberals intent is usually good. i'd argue they're intent is only good because they think you think like them.

i would be willing to bet that if you, as a black guy, walked up to this kid 30 minutes prior to this video he would come across as a kid who really is concerned about improving the connections of all different races. but except once he sees a black cop that is doing something he doesn't agree with then he goes and starts shouting the n-word at him.

and in this video, the white liberals on the surface seem like they are looking out for black people. until they expose the fact that they think black people are too poor and stupid to figure out how a to get ID or figure out how a computer works. but if you asked them i'm sure they would tell you they have the utmost respect for black people.

i'm not saying all liberals think and act like this. i'm just saying that just because they are overly nice to your face that doesn't mean it has anything to do with how they are when you're not there. a lot of them are overcompensating.

there is actually a a term "nice guys" that women use about guy who are like that. they are the overly kind, super polite, and talk about how great they are towards women...until women aren't around, or they get turned down by a woman and all of a sudden these "nice guys" are the some most misogynistic guys out there. (not surprisingly one of the guys i talked about earlier in this thread is also similar to this.)

I did not say that you saw anything. God, you're fucking slow.

I asked if you felt insulted by things you've seen on the right OR if you have only seen faultless behavior. That was the question. The question did not presume that you had seen anything, it asked for your assessment of what you had seen.

Seriously, the shit was not that fucking difficult.
You must have rocks in your head. You asked:

And would you be equally insulted by the way those on right act towards black Americans? Or do you see that as faultless behavior?

Your first mistake was assuming I'd seen anything from the right to be insulted by. To anybody with an IQ above room temp, my request for examples would have been an obvious indication that I don't know what you are referring to by "faultless behavior".

You did NOT ask
OR if you have only seen faultless behavior

You asked
Or do you see that as faultless behavior?

Do you see how that basic nuance changes the whole question?
In order for me to answer whether or not I would be offended, I need to know what behavior you are referring to. It's a concept a 7 year old should be able to grasp.

If you had asked whether or not I have only seen faultless behavior from the right, my request for examples would still be a valid one. But you're not interested in a discussion, that much is clear, and your condescending attitude only makes you look that much more foolish.

If you are a representation of what our law schools are churning out, god fucking help us.

Cant add to that but this is a really good post.

Well the one thing I will add is a story from high school.

I was a naive anarcho hippy punk back in the day and I chose Black Studies as an elective.

I was the only white guy there (there were a couple of, and I dont want to be an ass, but they were really nerdy white girls).

The other guys laughed at me and pointed at me. The teacher respected that I was there. I got into some of the things I said but also did not want to argue out of my place.

What I really got out of it was this. If I am uncomfortable with how the black studies class is portraying their perception of society, and I am fucking anarchist, how the hell do these kids feel 99.999% of the time. When I saw the cover of an all black magaize, I was like this is how they must feel all the time.

One thing I took from that was that some empathy rather than looking for "teh reverse racisms" goes a long way in opening up understanding and communication.

I was friends with all the guys by the end of the year as well (and of course the girls always like me) :).

since we're giving experiences in this thread, i'll give mine as a white guy with lots of white friends in a area with mainly white, and asian people.

throughout my entire life there have only been a handful of times i've actually heard the n-word(with an "er") as an actual synonym for "black guy" in my everyday life. the people who have used it genuinely(two different guys i'm thinking of) have been people who do indeed consider themselves to have classical liberal beliefs and thinks everyone should be treated equally and with respect and all that. and funnily enough when ever i have seen them interact with a random black guy they dobecome overly friendly and they do start talking more "hood", which was fucking pathetic to see. it's not pathetic because i've seen them say some clearly racist shit and all of a sudden they are trying to be fit in with the black person, it was pathetic because it actually made me cringe how fucking fake they suddenly became when a black person was in their presence. major overcompensation.

on the flip side, when ever i've noticed my conservative friends talk to a black person they talk to them like they are any other person. some times they are awkward, but i've never noticed any of them overcompensate while trying to talk to black people.

it's always been a trope that behind closed doors white people all of a sudden drop the n-word none stop. first off that's not true, but secondly the ones that i have heard drop the n-word behind closed doors are the more liberal kumbaya types.

also i'd like to talk about knowing that a liberals intent is usually good. i'd argue they're intent is only good because they think you think like them.

i would be willing to bet that if you, as a black guy, walked up to this kid 30 minutes prior to this video he would come across as a kid who really is concerned about improving the connections of all different races. but except once he sees a black cop that is doing something he doesn't agree with then he goes and starts shouting the n-word at him.

and in this video, the white liberals on the surface seem like they are looking out for black people. until they expose the fact that they think black people are too poor and stupid to figure out how a to get ID or figure out how a computer works. but if you asked them i'm sure they would tell you they have the utmost respect for black people.

i'm not saying all liberals think and act like this. i'm just saying that just because they are overly nice to your face that doesn't mean it has anything to do with how they are when you're not there. a lot of them are overcompensating.

there is actually a a term "nice guys" that women use about guy who are like that. they are the overly kind, super polite, and talk about how great they are towards women...until women aren't around, or they get turned down by a woman and all of a sudden these "nice guys" are the some most misogynistic guys out there. (not surprisingly one of the guys i talked about earlier in this thread is also similar to this.)

I can find random examples of idiots on the left and right doing and saying dumb shit. These people are not the majority. You know 2 guys that are liberal that said the N word...? Okay. Do you think that is normal? Do you think there are a lot of liberal white guys out there secretly wanting to join the KKK?
These purple haired fucks that go around yelling dumb shit and spin kicking iphones out of girls hands....guess how many of these people I've met in real life? ZERO...and the majority of my friends are liberal. You can find a video for anything. There's no shortage of video footage of girls eating asshole. I can find a crazy, stupid liberal or conservative doing and saying crazy, stupid shit. It says very little about the whole.

As I said, this all comes down to intent. I have had the cringey conversation with the liberal white guy that 'blacks it up' because he's trying to be cool with me. Do I like it? No. But I don't take offense to it usually because I know he means no offense. I know he is just trying to be cool with me. Conservative or liberal white guy, I won't make a big deal out of cringe behavior if it's obvious that you have good intentions. The cringe will work it's way out once we become better acquainted.

Your videos....your videos illustrate what I've been saying is the problem with how the right frames these conversations. You're misrepresenting what is being argued.
That "reporter" that was going on interviewing people was misrepresenting the argument. You guys keep making this argument that the left thinks that black people are "too stupid" to do _____. YOU GUYS are the ones making this argument. That is not what is actually believed.
20% of blacks are below the poverty line, and I believe 40% could qualify for welfare. That is a lot of people.
The argument isn't that "ALL blacks don't have IDs", and it isn't what that reporter said that "blacks can't figure out how to get to the DMV". We're talking about the large number of poor ones. No one is saying that blacks, as a whole, have some innate inability to put two and two together. You guys have this tendency to talk about "the black community" where you put all black people in the same box. There is a lot more variety in "the community" than you guys seem to realize.
Also, I don't put a lot of stock in videos like this where you catch people off guard with random talks like this. People always appear dumber than what they maybe when there is a camera on them.

Sorry, but you guys are talking out of ignorance on this. This is not just about race, it is about being poor. Being poor AND black.
If you lived in a ghetto and went to school in the ghetto you would understand. I went to a ghetto ass school, and I have family in and around Compton, and some of the ghetto areas of D.C. I know some people in those areas that don't have IDs. That white guy wouldn't of been able to go into those neighborhoods and ask questions with a camera crew. Public transportation is shit, many people don't have cars, so have no need or desire to go to the DMV to get a license/ID card. And the DMVs and public government offices are often inconvenient to access if you don't have a car. It isn't that they "cant figure out how to get there", it's that a poor person doesn't take normal trips to the DMV like most of us have, and do, because it is a mission to get to them.

A lot of things that you take for granted as "common knowledge" is NOT common knowledge in these rundown neighborhoods. The liberals that were interviewed were not that off base. We're talking about POOR black people (which there are a lot of), NOT ALL black people.
It is not "racist" to acknowledge black poverty. There ARE a lot of poor black people when compared to other groups. Look at the stats. 21% of the black population is below the poverty line.
Then look at it state by state...there are numerous states where a 1/4 of the black population is below the poverty line. 54% in Idaho.
The notion of black poverty isn't something made up by white liberals.

Last edited:
Cant add to that but this is a really good post.

Well the one thing I will add is a story from high school.

I was a naive anarcho hippy punk back in the day and I chose Black Studies as an elective.

I was the only white guy there (there were a couple of, and I dont want to be an ass, but they were really nerdy white girls).

The other guys laughed at me and pointed at me. The teacher respected that I was there. I got into some of the things I said but also did not want to argue out of my place.

What I really got out of it was this. If I am uncomfortable with how the black studies class is portraying their perception of society, and I am fucking anarchist, how the hell do these kids feel 99.999% of the time. When I saw the cover of an all black magaize, I was like this is how they must feel all the time.

One thing I took from that was that some empathy rather than looking for "teh reverse racisms" goes a long way in opening up understanding and communication.

I was friends with all the guys by the end of the year as well (and of course the girls always like me) :).

Thanks.
And yeah, all most people want is just a bit of empathy. I completely get that not everything is going to be easily understandable because some of us really do live in different worlds. But you have to be willing to listen if you're ever going to get an idea of where someone else is coming from. I tell some of the stories about where I grew up to some of my well off white friends and they think that I'm bullshitting with them.
People really underestimate how big and diverse America is. People live entirely different lives in different communities.

People notice when you're the only "_______" in the group, and consciously, or subconsciously, they treat you a bit different. . It's funny now, because I live and work in Asia. And my white friends here will sometimes complain to me about the "racism" they just experienced here, usually it's simply because someone pointed them out for being a foreigner. And i'm just like..lol..that's cute...if only that's what racism really was..
Experience being a minority in another place for a bit and you should get a glimpse at what the other side might feel sometimes.
Of course that isn't to say that it's all bad, it certainly isn't. But being a minority comes with a different set of challenges

Thanks.
And yeah, all most people want is just a bit of empathy. I completely get that not everything is going to be easily understandable because some of us really do live in different worlds. But you have to be willing to listen if you're ever going to get an idea of where someone else is coming from. I tell some of the stories about where I grew up to some of my well off white friends and they think that I'm bullshitting with them.
People really underestimate how big and diverse America is. People live entirely different lives in different communities.

People notice when you're the only "_______" in the group, and consciously, or subconsciously, they treat you a bit different. . It's funny now, because I live and work in Asia. And my white friends here will sometimes complain to me about the "racism" they just experienced here, usually it's simply because someone pointed them out for being a foreigner. And i'm just like..lol..that's cute...if only that's what racism really was..
Experience being a minority in another place for a bit and you should get a glimpse at what the other side might feel sometimes.
Of course that isn't to say that it's all bad, it certainly isn't. But being a minority comes with a different set of challenges

One thing I have sort of had to think through is what if you are that bottom of the rung white dude. Poor as dirt male with nothing. Human nature says he is not going to GAF about issues blacks and/or minorities face. He has his own real problems and will think anything that does not address that is an attack. I used to think, well he is being duped. Starting to think that also lacks empathy. Problem is that becomes the basis to just write off all problems related to race which is wrong. No answers here, just thinking some stuff through.

Just ignore him.

His whole schtick is that he's a conservative but have you ever seen him post anything even remotely conservative? He's an SJW for Christ's sake.
PanaMcCain

<GinJuice>

The songbird of Sherdogs generation.

Back