Yan completely outclassed and humiliated Sterling

Aljo at his best is on par with Yan, maybe even better.

He hurt Yan early with some of those body kicks, Yan has a good poker face. Aljo was just a little too active early, he could've dialed it back when it became clear Yan wasn't giving him many openings. The front kick to the body, the low kick to the lead leg, the jab, the feints, the flying knees. Yan didn't have much of an answer for those aside from defending the low kicks pretty well. Although Yan has a way of just covering up and absorbing your best techqniques then drowning you later, which is what was happening before the illegal knee.

I picked Yan to win, but Aljo fought a very good fight, he's tough as hell and it showed. I think Aljo came into this fight thinking he needed to grapple to win, and even though he was having success in the striking early, he kind of abandoned it and wasted so much energy shooting with no setup. His grappling should've been fluidly mixed into the striking, but he was too erratic to put it all together.

Still, erratic Aljo is a very dangerous fighter and it showed.

The knee was clearly illegal and it gave Sterling an out in a fight he was losing. I was embarrassed by his theatrics but can see why he acted like he couldn’t continue. I don’t think the ref should leave the decision down to the fighter to decide if they want to continue when an illegal strike happens. If someone breaks the rules the referee should take action. It seemed like the ref and doctor were expecting Sterling to continue fighting as it was pretty obvious he was faking it. It’s a tough way to lose the belt but there are no real losers here, they will rematch for the title and get paid twice. People will watch because the first fight was controversial. No one sees Sterling as a credible champ given the circumstances and Petr will take the belt back shortly.

That's the irony isn't it? Aljo's acting job was so laughably bad that it almost completely backfired and managed to turn him from a babyface to a heel even after being the victim of a blatant foul!

First round was either way, Sterling was definitely pressuring more, then he gassed hard and Yan just took over. If it kept going I saw a Yan finish or decision

Yan was beating Aljo. Aljo was tiring.
Dana knows this and will do the rematch very soon and it will do great numbers.

Looking forward to this fight.

<Waaah>
Why would he throw away an easy win. Like he said he fucked up.
Yan fuck your mom or something?

Yan dominates the rematch and finishes that joker Sterling.

CuZ he got mad or lost control ...

He threw an illegal strike...he knew it was illegal this isnt his first MMA fight he knows the rules

I honestly cant believe people think Yan decided to throw away a fight whilst being up on points and after Aljo was far more faded of the two. It was obvious he was confused about whether the blow was legal and even asked his corner on whether to strike or not. The way this played out was:
Aljo went for the takedown
Yan sprawled and Aljo had both knees and a hand on the canvas
Ref warned Yan that Aljo was grounded
Aljo lifted his hand and Yan looked to advise from his corner (not sure if he could see both knees of Aljo)
His corner shouts to hit him and so he did
It was a dumb mistake a he looked genuinely confused about the outcome... there was definitely that "WTF?" look on his face when whole thing unfolded.

That's the irony isn't it? Aljo's acting job was so laughably bad that it almost completely backfired and managed to turn him from a babyface to a heel even after being the victim of a blatant foul!

I agree he acted but the onus is still on Yan for being an idiot.

Now there's no question left about who's the better fighter and the opposition argument loses any value.
Sterling was winning the fourth. Yan was going to be up on 0 cards heading into the fifth.

It looked like illegal knee to me,but aljo could have gone on.5 minutes he woulda been fine. But he was on the screwjob soon as it happened
Wow. What an idiotic take.

It wasn't clean. But he was way more active.

By more acting you mean moving around and getting gassed. Yes sure.
Who was more effective though? TDs, KDs, damage dealt etc. Was a matter of time before Aljo was getting Fabered.

Back