ycm sparring 5 (feat. sinister)

16 years old... Sounds fair.

I had no idea until after, sinister set up the sparring & thats his boxer, so he must've known he would get some good experience/work out of it. If I woulda known he was 16 I woulda pulled my punches damn near completely lol, sounds so young. Then again at that age I was being thrown in there with at the time undefeated pro Lydell Rhodes to beat me up lol

I'm just a quick handed guy so I can do things that look like I'm better than I actually am - with only 3 fights, maybe 60 sparring sessions total and about 8months of active training with a trainer, (and 5 years of visualization and obsession with studying the sport and continuing to learn), I'm still a complete baby in the sport. Got a lot to learn nd a lot to work on. Just one week being back with my coach & I've already fixed some of my bad habits tho and learned a lot.

Always learning!

^He don't want none.

So this seems to require a bit of back-story. Oscar (my guy) has no fights, and has only sparred maybe 6 times with no restrictions. However, he's going to compete in an up-coming 3-day tournament here in Vegas. I'm permitting it because they have a novice division. So he'll be in there with kids 14-16, and with less than 10 fights. This was one of our litmus tests, 2 weeks out.

Some people seem to forget that the gym is controlled. I can stop it at any moment. If I thought he was grossly over-matched or thought he was hurt I would have, but between each round he spoke fine, wasn't wobbly, etc. But what he was, was NERVOUS. Floyd Sr. being there, Bryce is jacked, he had all the nervousness and butterflies a kid would have in a first fight. And it accomplished what I wanted, he froze. I wondered in what way he'd respond poorly, and he totally froze. This happened before with my 18 year-old heavyweight. In his first bout with me he barely threw anything out of nervousness, and got hit a bit. Second fight with me he won a tournament in front of about 150 people. So in this environment, we can hammer that out. Bryce was a bit nervous too, it just takes more of a trained eye to note his tension (which is a lot of what burnt him out) whereas Oscar was much more relaxed and not winded, but he didn't do dick for a round and a half. Nervousness effecting two guys, two ways.

Bryce does have a hell of a lot more experience. But not that many fights. So there's every chance Oscar could run across a kid like that in a tournament. Sometimes a kid has 2 fights, but he's been training since he's 4 years-old, or something similar. Now he knows he can get through it. Even if Bryce wasn't trying to kill him, that's not what we wanted, either. The funny thing is we knew this was what was going on, but a lot of people watching didn't. So you hear some sideways comments in the background particularly from another trainer who had an issue because he tried to muscle in on the sparring and wanted to put Bryce, for more rounds, with a much more experienced fighter (which is a whole other can of worms that erupted later). So this was all orchestrated carefully, and was constructive. Here's how Oscar looks against another kid with 4 fights, but who is his own age and not trained by Floyd Sr. for 6 years:

BTW, this isn't the first time YCM has sparred one of my fighters and it was posted here. There's a thread floating around where he sparred Bleu a few years ago.

reunited with my trainer a week ago, got some good work with sinister's boy. Critique and enjoy the progress.

You look good, definitely the more physically and technically skilled, but it looks like you were hard contact sparring and your partner was light contact sparring. Don't know whose fault that was but that's not good for homies brain while he isn't hitting you hard at all. All in all it was a good showcase of your skills though, and a very good lesson for your sparring partner.
Applause+for+the+guy+keeping+his+shit+together+on+the+_35f487e6413f41b7a662f1558516224f.jpg

Last edited:
^He don't want none.

So this seems to require a bit of back-story. Oscar (my guy) has no fights, and has only sparred maybe 6 times with no restrictions. However, he's going to compete in an up-coming 3-day tournament here in Vegas. I'm permitting it because they have a novice division. So he'll be in there with kids 14-16, and with less than 10 fights. This was one of our litmus tests, 2 weeks out.

Some people seem to forget that the gym is controlled. I can stop it at any moment. If I thought he was grossly over-matched or thought he was hurt I would have, but between each round he spoke fine, wasn't wobbly, etc. But what he was, was NERVOUS. Floyd Sr. being there, Bryce is jacked, he had all the nervousness and butterflies a kid would have in a first fight. And it accomplished what I wanted, he froze. I wondered in what way he'd respond poorly, and he totally froze. This happened before with my 18 year-old heavyweight. In his first bout with me he barely threw anything out of nervousness, and got hit a bit. Second fight with me he won a tournament in front of about 150 people. So in this environment, we can hammer that out. Bryce was a bit nervous too, it just takes more of a trained eye to note his tension (which is a lot of what burnt him out) whereas Oscar was much more relaxed and not winded, but he didn't do dick for a round and a half. Nervousness effecting two guys, two ways.

Bryce does have a hell of a lot more experience. But not that many fights. So there's every chance Oscar could run across a kid like that in a tournament. Sometimes a kid has 2 fights, but he's been training since he's 4 years-old, or something similar. Now he knows he can get through it. Even if Bryce wasn't trying to kill him, that's not what we wanted, either. The funny thing is we knew this was what was going on, but a lot of people watching didn't. So you hear some sideways comments in the background particularly from another trainer who had an issue because he tried to muscle in on the sparring and wanted to put Bryce, for more rounds, with a much more experienced fighter (which is a whole other can of worms that erupted later). So this was all orchestrated carefully, and was constructive. Here's how Oscar looks against another kid with 4 fights, but who is his own age and not trained by Floyd Sr. for 6 years:

BTW, this isn't the first time YCM has sparred one of my fighters and it was posted here. There's a thread floating around where he sparred Bleu a few years ago.

Your 16 year old did really good. Seems to me not only was his nerves making him hesitant but also the power and just physical advantage YCM had was making him probably more tentative than usual. Homeboy hits hard and even though Oscar was taking it like a champ he’s only 16 and I’m sure it made him respect the power more than usual.

Also I have a question if you dont mind Sinister. It seems a lot of your fighters have elbows REALLY tight to the body... almost unnaturally tight. Is this an important habit you drill into your fighters early? Is this something you believe everyone should work on if they never consciously 'worked' on tight elbows?

Last edited:
Good stuff YCM. Do you lift weights too or just bodyweight stuff?
What is your weight now compared to right after that brain surgery?

Nice combos and distancing. Faster and more physical than ever. I know your legs were shot from roadwork but I think everyone who is a real boxer’s are. I would suggest keeping mindful of energy conservation, what spots to throw punches and when not to. Not a lot of wasted punches but you kind of reminded me of Mcgregor throwing his combos against mayweather jr. out there. A lot of really good shots landing but definitely throwing punches in some spots which weren’t optimal. Especially when Oscar was actively defending/moving his head

Overall I’m very impressed and I’m sure with smarter punches and more experience you can work on your weak points.
We all know you can floor a lot of people if you tried, but there are some durable mfers out there and I can definitely see some relentless/defensively sound swarmers giving you some trouble. Youre definitely a boxer-puncher though

Last edited:
Good stuff YCM. Do you lift weights too or just bodyweight stuff?
What is your weight now compared to right after that brain surgery?

Nice combos and distancing. Faster and more physical than ever. I know your legs were shot from roadwork but I think everyone who is a real boxer’s are. I would suggest keeping mindful of energy conservation, what spots to throw punches and when not to. Not a lot of wasted punches but you kind of reminded me of Mcgregor throwing his combos against mayweather jr. out there. A lot of really good shots landing but definitely throwing punches in some spots which weren’t optimal. Especially when Oscar was actively defending/moving his head

Overall I’m very impressed and I’m sure with smarter punches and more experience you can work on your weak points.
We all know you can floor a lot of people if you tried, but there are some durable mfers out there and I can definitely see some relentless/defensively sound swarmers giving you some trouble. Youre definitely a boxer-puncher though

Yo thanks, I haven’t touched a weight in lord knows how long.. this just sort of happened. It’s like it took a year for my testosterone to actually make a serious difference in my body composition.

Before my surgery when I was training I was around 130lbs, then right before my surgery because of the time off and how sick I was , my weight dropped to 116lbs. After surgery, I steadily rose from 116 to 140 over the next 10 months. Then between November - February this year, I shot from about 140 to 160-163, and my weight became a huge concern over my boxing plans. I got weight down to about 150 a month ago, and a pretty heavy calorie cut to get my weight back down to competing levels got me right at 143 right now, so in a perfect spot. My dad and my brothers are all stocky guys, looks like my genetics are trying to get back on track with them lol instead of being real skinny. No weight lifting tho

The little peppering shots when Oscar was moving his head was intentional to make sure he got his work in - let him work on slipping punches and things he has practiced/trained. That is something my coach told me after tho, said that i throw punches just to throw punches, and that I need to place my shots better instead of just throwing to throw.

Terminators always give me trouble, it’s been a while since I’ve gotten stronger that I’ve had one just disregard my offense, but back in 2013-2014 I encountered a few of them and it would be rough work. My combinations and everything take a lot of energy to throw , and if u give me something to hit ima let them go. Then i gotta recharge a bit lol and those terminator guys can start putting in real good work. I am working on finding a balance esp in a fight situation / hard competitive sparring to have a good “cruise control” gear to sit in between my offensive bursts

Your 16 year old did really good. Seems to me not only was his nerves making him hesitant but also the power and just physical advantage YCM had was making him probably more tentative than usual. Homeboy hits hard and even though Oscar was taking it like a champ he’s only 16 and I’m sure it made him respect the power more than usual.

Also I have a question if you dont mind Sinister. It seems a lot of your fighters have elbows REALLY tight to the body... almost unnaturally tight. Is this an important habit you drill into your fighters early? Is this something you believe everyone should work on if they never consciously 'worked' on tight elbows?

What happens when elbows are out of position:

Yo thanks, I haven’t touched a weight in lord knows how long.. this just sort of happened. It’s like it took a year for my testosterone to actually make a serious difference in my body composition.

Before my surgery when I was training I was around 130lbs, then right before my surgery because of the time off and how sick I was , my weight dropped to 116lbs. After surgery, I steadily rose from 116 to 140 over the next 10 months. Then between November - February this year, I shot from about 140 to 160-163, and my weight became a huge concern over my boxing plans. I got weight down to about 150 a month ago, and a pretty heavy calorie cut to get my weight back down to competing levels got me right at 143 right now, so in a perfect spot. My dad and my brothers are all stocky guys, looks like my genetics are trying to get back on track with them lol instead of being real skinny. No weight lifting tho

The little peppering shots when Oscar was moving his head was intentional to make sure he got his work in - let him work on slipping punches and things he has practiced/trained. That is something my coach told me after tho, said that i throw punches just to throw punches, and that I need to place my shots better instead of just throwing to throw.

Terminators always give me trouble, it’s been a while since I’ve gotten stronger that I’ve had one just disregard my offense, but back in 2013-2014 I encountered a few of them and it would be rough work. My combinations and everything take a lot of energy to throw , and if u give me something to hit ima let them go. Then i gotta recharge a bit lol and those terminator guys can start putting in real good work. I am working on finding a balance esp in a fight situation / hard competitive sparring to have a good “cruise control” gear to sit in between my offensive bursts
Yeah damn dude, you look A LOT bigger. A little too muscular imo. But at the same time a lot healthier which is the main thing.
I think you can pepper and thats fine to give him work, but at the same time if theres zero weight behind those punches you are definitely better off not throwing those at all.

But besides that I would also like to see more jabs to the chest or body. Jab to the chest to set up that right hand, or jab to the body just to slow your opponent down and maintain distance.
I think the chest/body jab is something that can be worked on that will improve your game immediately

Last edited:
What happens when elbows are out of position:

I always love to see when coaches put emphasis on these basics. Not that common nowadays which is kind of strange.

so the big question is @YoungCashMoney When is your fight coming up against whom and will you put it online?

Last edited:
YCM looks to be a mid range boxer. Like Holyfield. Mid range boxers are typically good combo punchers.

Do you have your fighters keep there arms in a similar position to the blackburn crouch or like shoulder roll position?

I prefer those two over the elbows in tight. Elbows tight to the ribs feels so unnatural, and I have short arms. My whole kidney are, and stomach are still exposed anyways.

Do you have your fighters keep there arms in a similar position to the blackburn crouch or like shoulder roll position?

I don't care which as long as they're responsible.

Ooooohhhh, that sinister.

Phheewww...I was thinking about this sinister.
Magneto.png

Prove we're not the same guy.

I prefer those two over the elbows in tight. Elbows tight to the ribs feels so unnatural, and I have short arms. My whole kidney are, and stomach are still exposed anyways.

If you were to ask someone what a 'liver shot' is, many people will likely point to something that hits the soft tissue above the hips. A lot of folks don't know that it's actually behind the ribcage, under the right pectoral.

Same with the diaphragm; right below the sternum, about a hand length above the gut.

Last edited:
Yeah damn dude, you look A LOT bigger. A little too muscular imo. But at the same time a lot healthier which is the main thing.
I think you can pepper and thats fine to give him work, but at the same time if theres zero weight behind those punches you are definitely better off not throwing those at all.

But besides that I would also like to see more jabs to the chest or body. Jab to the chest to set up that right hand, or jab to the body just to slow your opponent down and maintain distance.
I think the chest/body jab is something that can be worked on that will improve your game immediately

Yeah it’s crazy to me, makes me think big muscles and physiques are much more genetic than anything else, if it were up to me I’d still be walkin around 135 but it just ain’t happening now lol

I agree the jab to the body is a punch I need to use way more and would definitely be a game changer and make me straight right that much more unpredictable

YCM looks to be a mid range boxer. Like Holyfield. Mid range boxers are typically good combo punchers.

Sounds about right , I’ll pepper from the outside and pot shot but I’m most comfortable right in the middle where I can rip to the body and the head with every punch uppercuts/straights/hooks

I always love to see when coaches put emphasis on these basics. Not that common nowadays which is kind of strange.

so the big question is @YoungCashMoney When is your fight coming up against whom and will you put it online?

Very soon, supposed to be on June 7th however the next time I sparred after this video I tried to rip a hook to the body & the dude caught it on his elbow perfectly and I badly bruised my thumb - in the moment I thought I had broke it but I knew after it wasn’t that serious. It’s been a week now since I’ve had any contact on it and I’ve been icing and massaging it but I still can hardly move it let alone put any real contact on it. That really spoiled my sparring and preparation plans for the fight. It’ll be fully recovered within a week I think. Last thing I want is to turn something simple into something chronic.

Yeah of course I’ll film and post my fights

Back