Yeti Rage

yo man, i dont always agree with the shit you say, but that completely sucks about your pops and you have my condolences. cancer is a motherfucker.
and to be blatantly honesy with you, that should give you more then enough reason to quit smoking.

Slayer36, you're absolutely right. However, in my current situation even my dad doesn't encourage me to quit. He still smokes and living with somebody who smokes while you're trying to quit it nearly impossible. I was ready to give it a go, but my dad told me he thought it was a bit early for that, and that I might be setting myself up for failure.

Trust me though, I'll be ditching the cigs and buying a vaporizer post-mortem.

I don't believe in an after life, however my dad is the one who first showed me how to lift weights, and he will live on in my life in that way. The gifts he gave me by inducting me into the order of iron are countless. And he will live on in my training, in competition. Every PR I set owes something to that man. I'd also like to hope that I myself have, and will continue to pass on that gift. To take some time aside to lay things out for a newcomer, to show a skinny kid with no self esteem what he can do with himself, or a chubby kid that he too can excel at athletics if he is determined (determination, one of the many gifts that training with weights has brought to bear). Lastly, my lifting is about more than just me now. It's not just about the dream I have, to be the greatest powerlifter in history, or the fleeting, shadowy glory that goes with it anymore. It's also about my dad. Being the best will be a testament to him as well.

One last thing, before I end this long and overly emotional post. As an adolescent I hated my dad, we butted heads regularly, and I despised him for the way he treated my mother. Once I moved out of the house, I got to see how the real world works a little bit more, and that got me to thinking about my dad. My dad raised me by himself from the time I was 7. My mom's always been there for me, but it was my father who busted his ass at the office not only to feed me and clothe me, but also simply to buy me the toys that I really wanted etc. Suddenly, at 20, I realized my dad wasn't the monster my mom made him out to be. I for the first time saw my parents as people. My dad was a man. A man who'd worked hard to raise a son by himself, and give that son not only what he needed, but often what he wanted as well. I took the time then to sit him down and tell him how much I appreciated what he'd done for me over the years, and how I could appreciate what it must have felt like to be 37, and alone with a child and a shitload of debt. I'm really glad I had that talk with him before he got sick, so he knew for sure that those were my true feelings, not a guilt/impending death induced jumble of emotion. My point being, you teenagers who are reading this, if you don't get along with your dad, that's fine. Some of you have assholes for parents, but most of you aren't putting things in perspective. Imagine yourself in your fathers shoes, and if you feel what I felt then, tell him. My dad and I aren't real big on "sharing" our feelings, but some shit just has to be said. If you think about it, and despite the bullshit, despite the hormonal desire to kill him etc., your dad is a good man, you go tell him so goddamnit!

Good post Carnal. And to show you that you're not the only one who has realized things like this I'll share with you something I wrote up because so many people ask:

The story behind my ring name.

This is quite an interesting tale. See the thing is my grandfather never talked much about his youth. The guy literally should write a book. His parents and his older sister were fall-down drunks. Apparently when my mother and her brothers and sister were young they didn't like to have to kiss their grandmother because she smelled of liqour and cigarettes. This would be in the morning time mind you. So this kid (my grandfather) ran away from home when he was 12 years old. This was in New York, I forget where, I think Albany. He lived in a train station and shined shoes for a nickel a piece so he could eat. He became best friends with my grandmother's brother. Now I don't know if you have ever seen the movie "The Outsiders", but that's exactly what my grandfather was. He was a switchblade carrying, cuffed t-shirt, leather jacket-wearing, '55 Chevy driving, liqour drinking, cigarette rolled in his sleeve, hair so slick he glided when he walked Greaser. My grandmother said whenever he used to have gang-fights they would have her wear chains as belts and hide out all the weapons on her. Cute.

My uncle Bobby had rhumatic fever when he was little and spent most of his young years in the hospital. So when he finally became healthy enough not to need to be hospitalized most of the time he was very thin and sickly, but my grandmother says he could scrap with the best of them. Because he was sickly you had to practically kill him to kick his ass. Hence the nickname "The Crip". He had a funny little walk and everyone knew about it because back then you couldn't pay people to stay out of your business. My grandfather on the other-hand had become so good at sneaking around in the alleys and whatnot to avoid the Cops that he was most notorious for being able to very quietly sneak up on people and she said he would grab their hair and reach around to belt them in the mouth as hard as he could. Especially if my uncle Bobby was already distracting them with shit-talk. This is how it became a custom for when anyone in the neighbordhood saw the two of them coming you heard "Aww man, here comes The Crip and The Creep." Quite a gruesome twosome.

I never heard this accounted by my grandfather. They were so tight that most of the time after they became best friends my grandfather spent most of his time at their home. He was a street-rat with nothing else. And eventually he and my grandmother married as they had known each other since the ages of 7 and 9. Now mind you there are other psychological reasons why she married him (her parents HATED it, which made it the thing to do), and I asked how come he never talked about Uncle Bobby, she said she thinks it stings him too much to think that once Bobby got married and moved to Brooklyn, and he joined the Military at age 16, they practically never spoke again.

Now my grandfather and I don't really speak. I don't hate the guy because I know how hard his life must have been. But he's almost impossible to be around if you can get offended at ANYTHING. So, using the ring name of "The Creep" is my way of paying homage to the man he once was, the Soldier, the guy you could never get the upper-hand on.

Hey dudes, how bout something related to my training? This day five of being painkiller free, and most of the physical withdrawl symptoms are gone. I'm eating a little more, sleeping slightly better, and don't feel like my skin is going to slide off my sinew anymore.

Tuesday, January 10, 06: Press

Narrow Grip Bench w/ double choked averages
Warm Ups
6X2@185
2X1@205 (comp grip)

DB OHP
X10
X6
X6
75lbs

Skullcrushers
2X6 125

Band Pushdowns
2X10

Band Pull Aparts/Scapular retraction.

Looking to get a workout in with Lynne here this Friday/Saturday to get back to the heavy benching in addition to my assistance day.

Is there any reason why you use bands now? Or did you use them before and i didnt know?

I've used bands either for speed work, or just for unusual resistance (plus it helps keep my ego in check) on my assistance day for a while now. Bands are a good tool, they're just a tad overrated is all.

Wednesday, Jan 11, 06: Pull

Decided to take a week off from heavy pulling, given that it's the only thing I've kept up with any kind of regularity, and the recent 2X a week gig has me a bit worn down.

BB Rows
245X6
295X5
315X5
335X3
355X3
385X3
410X3

Even though I row sorta sloppy, I must say: I fucking love my upper back.

BB surgs
6X3 515
Tried to get some power going here, not much leg involvement, just trying to surg hard enough to get some "airtime" on these.

Curls
2 sets

Cardio=picking up all my dirty laundry (I live in the same dank basement I train in....by choice, in case it matters).

Saturday, January 14, 06: Bench

Flat Bench
Up to 405X1
Downsets: 315X7, 275X10

Sunday, Jan 15, 06: Squat

Squats up to:
555X1
555X1

My token 600 single was delayed today. The first 555 didn't feel right, and when I asked Lynne she agreed that things were off. I don't mean to brag, but my squat form is beautiful when I am in the groove. The second 555 was a cakewalk, and I felt really good about it. Enough so that I would have gone up if it weren't everyones top set at the time.

Good work big man. Awesome to see some consistency, you're a hoss!

I haven't moved any big PR's in so long it's tough to feel like a hoss haha but thanks.

Consistency will pay off in no time here though.

Carnal, thanks for posting the workouts man. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to kick my dad's ass as soon as I was bigger and stronger than him. Sometime before I grew bigger and stronger than him, he became my best friend. I can't imagine what you're going through. Spend time with him while you can.

My dad was like 5'9" and 165 even pre-cancer, so it didn't take me long to get bigger and stronger.

CarnalSalvation said:
My dad was like 5'9" and 165 even pre-cancer, so it didn't take me long to get bigger and stronger.

My dad was 5'5" and about 130 dripping wet, so even my skinny ass was bigger and stronger than him from a young age. He died from the drink about 3 months back. Itll help to be lifting, sitting around and thinking about it is the worst thing you can do.

Good to see you back, I need inspiration.

Thanks for the kind words dexter.

Monday, Jan 30, 06:

16" DL
up to 605 2X1

Eh, only 100lbs off PR levels. In my defense I haven't eaten anything other than a few slices of pizza and a lot of goldfish crackers in over a week now.

No-No-No Oly Squats
3X5 315
2X1 405

Wearing my heeled hiking boots as opposed to chucks helps quite a bit on these.

Hey, at least I moved my body.

CarnalSalvation said:
No-No-No Oly Squats
3X5 315
2X1 405

Wearing my heeled hiking boots as opposed to chucks helps quite a bit on these.

Hey, at least I moved my body.
Why bother with the Oly squats? I'm surprised they make that big a difference or were you just taking it easy?

Do you check your bodyweight often? how is it varying with your "uneven" eating?

Alon, as you saw, I was 100lbs under my best on the rack pulls, despite hitting PR's on back training if nothing else. I was having a really off day, so I decided to try some oly squats. It doesn't make as much of a difference as you see there, but it IS a huge difference. My legs are like t-rex legs, I have a massive chunky hamcables on the backs of my legs, and absolutely no quads. For example, I outsquat the BBer at our gym by over 200lbs (raw), but he schools me on quad dominant lifts like the belt squat.

And no I don't check BW often. My eating can go anywhere from consuming more than most people eat in one sitting 3-5 times a day, to not eating for 3-4 days at a time. My weight the last few times I've had it checked has been between 290 and 310, so I just say "around 300lbs" right now. Weight isn't a great indicator for me because when you're this big you can carry a TON of water. I could probably compete at 275 if I used OTC diretics even, but I refuse to cut weight for comps.

Tuesday, Feb 07, 06: I ain't dead yet bitch!

Narrow Grip Bench w/ double choked averages
6X2 (185, last set 195)
1X1 (205)

DB OHP
2X6 (75)

Skullcrushers
2X6 (125)

Leaning Lateral Raises
2X10 (20lbs)

After I post this I am gonna smoke a cig and go hit up some grippage.

Wednesday, Feb 8, 06: My goodness....is that? is that...Yeti Rage I feel?

16" Rack Pulls
Up to 675X1 (30-35lbs off a PR)

Snatch Grip DL's
425X3
425X5
445X3
The 425X5, and 445X3 were PR's I think. I don't wear a belt on these, in case it matters.

Rows
3X3 (335)
Form was just a tiny bit sloppay on these, so next week I will up the sets to four, maybe hunt some extra reps, but most of all work on tightening up the form.

And that's a wrap for now. I might do more if I get bored.

CarnalSalvation said:
Wednesday, Feb 8, 06: My goodness....is that? is that...Yeti Rage I feel?

Hahahaha, gold! I sure hope so.

2" Bar DL's
135X5
225X5
275X3
300X2
320X2
300X2
275X2

I think my best single on these is only like 360, so this isn't too bad.

surgs
3X8 (425)
2X25 (245)

My back wasn't up for any heavy shrugging today. I will never deadlift and surg 600+ in the same week, at least not until 600 is a wimpy surg for me. My lower back takes enough pounding from squatting and deadlifting each week. or in theory.

2" Wrist Roller
4 Sets (plus "motorcycles")

Band Curls
2X15

Band GM's
2X25

Basicly just a workout to keep my body moving and my attention focused. My forearms are so fried right now it's not even funny. I haven't trained grip in forever, after that piddly shit today, I couldn't close the #1 with my left hand and it was kinda hard with my right. That's how I know I am done training my lower arms for the day usually.

Back