'You either retire a GSP or Khabib, or compete long enough to become a Tony Ferguson.'

I like these types of discussions amongst Sherdoggers in-between major PPVs. We're the type to visit the heavies for serious discussion rather than single-digit IQ nuthugging.

Seems like legends like GSP & Khabib made smart decisions to retire early while they were ontop, rather than staying too long fighting young and hungry challengers while their physical performance slowly degrades and leaves them vulnerable to humiliating losses that kill their status.

And Volk's moving up to 155 to challenge for the belt, twice, makes GSP's decision to not move up and fight A.Silva for the 185 belt retroactively a very wise move for their legacy and longstanding respect within the MMA fanbase... which to many is more valuable.

Unfortunately, far too many get too overzealous and stay too long, and that list of legendary fighters becoming the highlight reels of younger fighters is also too long. Father time is undefeated is clichè but also 1000% true.

As for Tony, he got screwed by the matchmakers, never giving him a shot at the legit belt when he absolutely deserved it far earlier in his career. He was better in his prime than most who've worn the 155 belt.

Anyway... thoughts about the 'You either retire a GSP or Khabib, or compete long enough to become a Tony Ferguson?'

Unless you're Jon Jones. The rare exception.

Lol that literally doesn't apply to 99% of fighters though

'You probably retire when you start losing more than you win, and you were probably never a champ or even that good' would make more sense

Reactions: HHJ
There def is a happy medium between the 2, most fighters dont realize what that is. There love of the sport and will to compete blinds them into thinking they are what they were... when its 100% obvious to everyone else..

GSP and Khabib can work with people (coaching, business) or even act. They have got a lot of fans in their home countries.

Tony is not really capable of such work and has mental issues that can get worse without training/working. And I am sure he is financially nowhere near them. It is sad but he does not have many options.

irks me to see people trying to throw gsp and khabib in the same basket.

one completely cleaned out his division and defended for years on end, the other fled before really getting started. no comparison at all.

Its been even longer and GSP threads are still coming ..so what's your point? ..

Khabibs career is not on par with GSP...not even close
My point is Khabib won't be forgotten and you're an idiot if you think otherwise.

Not sure why you're still hating the guy after he's retired tbh. GSP himself isn't insecure about Khabib and he respects Khabib a lot. Khabib respects GSP a lot.

So why the fuck are you here pretending to defend GSP when he doesn't even agree with you?

Reactions: HHJ
irks me to see people trying to throw gsp and khabib in the same basket.

one completely cleaned out his division and defended for years on end, the other fled before really getting started. no comparison at all.
Well that's tough fuckin titty aint it?

Wrestling is the strongest.

Sit there and be irked!

GSP and Khabib can work with people (coaching, business) or even act. They have got a lot of fans in their home countries.

Tony is not really capable of such work and has mental issues that can get worse without training/working. And I am sure he is financially nowhere near them. It is sad but he does not have many options.
Tony is lke alot of fighters, where you dont know where they would be if they couldnt make money doing this. They didnt have a plan B and probably couldnt do it if they did. Sad but true.

Just to be sure that I understand your response correctly:
Are you contending that the safest way to fight Edson Barboza is to give him space to work in the middle of the cage… at distance… with his nasty kicks?
Keep in mind that Khabib’s strategy was force Barboza to fight off the back foot which he doesn’t do anywhere near as well as he does moving forward, and work to get inside where the bear wrestling Russian would have a significant advantage over the kick heavy Brazilian.

If you contend that the wrestler crowding his opponent who has better results when he’s moving forward and kicking to be a reckless (not cautious, etc…) strategy, then I don’t know how to logically counter that argument.

?? should he go and display low fight iq to prove a point???

Khabib has a hard nosed, come forward all up in your face style. There is nothing fuckin risk averse about it. He doesnt stay away from the fight, he comes right at em. WHERE THE DANGER IS.

"oh my god,i neverrrrr,khabib,he just doesnt take risks,he should stay on the outside and let edson kick his legs,then ill respect him!!!!!!!!!!"

Anyone saying Khabib is risk averse should climb on their pink girl bike and go the fuck home. Grown folks is talking here.

My point is Khabib won't be forgotten and you're an idiot if you think otherwise.

Not sure why you're still hating the guy after he's retired tbh. GSP himself isn't insecure about Khabib and he respects Khabib a lot. Khabib respects GSP a lot.

So why the fuck are you here pretending to defend GSP when he doesn't even agree with you?

Lol im not defending or worried about anything lol

Khabib doesn't belong in the same sentence as GSP when talking legacy... this is just facts my friend..

That was and is my only point...Imagine if GSP stopped his career after beating Matt Hughes twice do you think people would still be talking about him? .. naw...

One of these things isnt like the other...

MMA is like going to vegas....On a long enough tangent every individual will lose. i dont care who you are. If you win against the house, take youre winnings and go home. If you go back to the dealer dont vbe suprised if the house takes you for everything. Khabib was self aware enough to know he would eventually lose.

Lol im not defending or worried about anything lol

Khabib doesn't belong in the same sentence as GSP when talking legacy... this is just facts my friend..

That was and is my only point...Imagine if GSP stopped his career after beating Matt Hughes twice do you think people would still be talking about him? .. naw...

One of these things isnt like the other...
lol people put GSP on a pedestal as if he wasnt the guy that lost to bigrig or came back to fight a visually impaired paper champ .

lol people put GSP on a pedestal as if he wasnt the guy that lost to bigrig or came back to fight a visually impaired paper champ .

Lol... Hendricks gave that fight away in 5th .. hes the only one to blame for that...look how his career went after ...

And yes Bisping the paper champ...i guess Anderson Silva is a can too cuz he lost to Bisping ... Lmfao ...

GSP never fought at 185lbs and came from a long lay off to beat a guy who competed at 205lbs ...totally not impressive or anything..

Stay salty

There def is a happy medium between the 2, most fighters dont realize what that is. There love of the sport and will to compete blinds them into thinking they are what they were... when its 100% obvious to everyone else..

It's also that men, themselves, are often not as aware of their own physical declines as everyone else is. Take Nick Diaz for example: I do very much believe he felt pretty good in the gym and in training leading up to the second Lawler fight. he even looked pretty good in some photos leading up to the fight. but...getting in there and actually competing with hungry, high level opponents is what exposes the decline of past prime men.

:)?? should he go and display low fight iq to prove a point???

Khabib has a hard nosed, come forward all up in your face style. There is nothing fuckin risk averse about it. He doesnt stay away from the fight, he comes right at em. WHERE THE DANGER IS.

"oh my god,i neverrrrr,khabib,he just doesnt take risks,he should stay on the outside and let edson kick his legs,then ill respect him!!!!!!!!!!"

Anyone saying Khabib is risk averse should climb on their pink girl bike and go the fuck home. Grown folks is talking here.

Not sure what you’re on… about.
Just remember to consume in moderation.
Best of luck to you, bud.

I like to think there is some kind of middle ground. Tony will fight until he spends his days in adult Huggies- rocking back and forth and drooling on himself in an institution.

The GSP route and the Khabib route are far from the same thing BTW. Khabib got to retire rich as early as he did because of Conor. GSP went a longer route to prove himself in his career.
Yeah the premise is very inaccurate. There have been a ton of mma fighters go out on their shield with a L like Hendo, Rockhold (before he tarnished it boxing) Couture,Rich franklin, Belfort, Shogun, etc. This idea is complete BS. I don't have time to list all the people that actually knew when to quit or at least did shortly after the skid.

Lol... Hendricks gave that fight away in 5th .. hes the only one to blame for that...look how his career went after ...

And yes Bisping the paper champ...i guess Anderson Silva is a can too cuz he lost to Bisping ... Lmfao ...

GSP never fought at 185lbs and came from a long lay off to beat a guy who competed at 205lbs ...totally not impressive or anything..

Stay salty
His career after that is irrelevant, nothing more that whataboutism. The truth of the matter is GSP arguably lost that fight and then people put him on pedestal for beating one eyed bisping, as if he slayed thanos with the infinity gauntlet...ohhh please. Its ironic that GSP had NO INTENTION of defending his title (fair enough0 but his cheerleaders then bitch and whine about khabib leaving prematurely.

Back