You know what's a funny word? "movie"

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It used to be "motion picture." Because they were pictures....and yet.... they were moving! :eek:

So people from generations past started calling them "movies" in their quaint little way. Because they moved. They were movies. Same way as "walkie talkies" were called such because you could walk and talk on them. Walkie Talkies. I have no idea if any of this is true, but I believe it.

I just find it funny the word "movie" is so ingrained in pop culture today I doubt anybody gives it a second thought as to how silly it sounds. "Movie."

Last edited:
And when movies first came out, they were silent. So 30 years or so later, when films with sound were figured out, it was a huge deal and for the next few years, they were called 'Talkies'. But I guess people started to feel retarded saying 'Talkies', and they quickly went back to just being called 'Movies'. Wise choice imo.

giphy.gif

Remember when Shogun said Machida was "very movey. Vroom Vroom." ? Remember how silly that sounded?

And when movies first came out, they were silent. So 30 years or so later, when films with sound were figured out, it was a huge deal and for the next few years, they were called 'Talkies'. But I guess people started to feel retarded saying 'Talkies', and they quickly went back to just being called 'Movies'. Wise choice imo.

<mma4>

So people from generations past started calling them "movies" in their quaint little way. Because they moved. They were movies.

It's actually named after Sir Reginald Movie III, who pioneered the idea of moving pictures by throwing a camera off a tall building. It didn't work but the name caught on

It used to be "motion picture." Because they were pictures....and yet.... they were moving! :eek:

So people from generations past started calling them "movies" in their quaint little way. Because they moved. They were movies. Same way as "walkie talkies" were called such because you could walk and talk on them. Walkie Talkies. I have no idea if any of this is true, but I believe it.

I just find it funny the word "movie" is so ingrained in pop culture today I doubt anybody gives it a second thought as to how silly it sounds. "Movie."
Remember when Shogun said Machida was "very movey. Vroom Vroom." ? Remember how silly that sounded?
It's actually named after Sir Reginald Movie III, who pioneered the idea of moving pictures by throwing a camera off a tall building. It didn't work but the name caught on

<LikeReally5>

I posit that the word 'movie' doesn't qualify as funny, in any form.

funny

1a : affording light mirth and laughter : amusing
  • His account of the war came in bits and pieces, sometimes bloody, sometimes funny.
  • —Robert Penn Warren
b : seeking or intended to amuse : facetious
  • Don't take him so seriously; he was just beingfunny.
2: differing from the ordinary in a suspicious, perplexing, quaint, or eccentric way : peculiar
  • My car has been making a funny noise.
—often used as a sentence modifier
  • Funny, things didn't turn out the way we planned.
3: involving trickery or deception
  • told his prisoner not to try anything funny

Back