• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

You won't guess what the most expensive spec script in movie history was

G

Guestx

c17035d95ee1f0b1e97b82ab6d03471e.jpg

For those who aren't familiar with the term, a spec script is one that is written with the intention to sell it, but without a pre-arranged deal in place. This contrasts with a script that a writer is hired by the studio to write based on a story idea they have.

But yeah, no joke, of ALL the fucking movies it's Deja Vu.

According to this article from WeScreenplay:

To this day, Déjà Vu remains one of the absolute highest selling spec sales of all time. Written by Bill Marsilii and Pirates of the Caribbean’s Terry Rossio, Déjà Vu features a scifi thriller plot imbued with time travel and a healthy dose of 9/11 paranoia. In some ways, it feels like an endnote in the wave of existential thrillers that permeated the 90s and early 2000s, from Dark City and The Matrix, to Gattaca, Minority Report, and even Memento. The film itself, directed by the late, great Tony Scott, released to somewhat mixed reviews and mild box office success.

Writer's Fee: 5 Million
Budget: 75 Million
Box Office: 180 million worldwide

Here are a few more top sellers:

Panic_Room_poster_42607_Medium.jpg

Another David Fincher vehicle, this one starring Jodie Foster and a young Kristen Stewart as a mother daughter duo who find them trapped in the titular, state of the art panic room during a home invasion. The film did solid numbers worldwide and attracted a respectable amount of acclaim from critical circles. It also represented a massive payday for the film’s scribe, David Koepp, who remains one of Hollywood’s most sought after genre writers even to this day.

Writer's Fee: 4 million
Budget: 48 million
Box Office: 196 million worldwide

keyart.ashx

Another year, another stunning spec sale for Shane Black. At the time, Black’s then-record-setting 4 million dollar payday made The Long Kiss Goodnight the most expensive script ever written. Fortunately, the film fared better with critics than The Last Boy Scout, though it lamentably failed to connect with audiences worldwide. The film stars Geena Davis as a suburban schoolteacher who hires a private investigator (played by Samuel L. Jackson) after experiencing a series of seemingly random and increasingly violent flashbacks. To this day, the film maintains something of a cult status amongst fans of neo-noir, which is perhaps part of why there were talks of a television revival a few years back.

Budget: 65 million
Box Office: 89 million worldwide

talladega-nights-the-ballad-of-ricky-bobby-movie-poster-2006-1010431348.jpg

Hot on the heels of Anchorman and Elf, it would seem thatHollywood couldn't get enough of Will Ferrell (speaking of which, they still can’t). Written alongside frequent collaborator, and fellow SNL alum, Adam McKay – who most recently directed 2015’s The Big ShortTalladega Nights presented a lovingly satirical look at the world of NASCAR racing. The script sold for a massive 4 million dollars – money well spent, given that the film won above average reviews and a more than respectable box office take.

Budget: 72 million
Box Office: 162 million worldwide

a-knights-tale_u-L-F4Q3B90.jpg

Still buzzing from his Oscar winning script for L.A. Confidential, Brian Helgeland surprised Hollywood with an adaptation of the first story from Chaucer’s literary masterwork, The Canterbury Tales. The eventual film received mixed to positive reviews and decent box office success, and is perhaps most notable these days for the late Heath Ledger’s central performance.

Writer's Fee: 2.5 million
Budget: 56.5 million
Box Office: 117 million worldwide

the-game-movie-poster-1997-1010678418.jpg

The Game, otherwise known as David Fincher’s most criminally underrated film, was a mild box office success worldwide, though it failed to light a fire with audiences in the same way that Se7en had (though Fincher would rectify that a couple of years later with Fight Club). In any case, the screenplay fetched an impressive two million dollars before lingering in development hell before Fincher eventually came on board. The film centers on a banker, played by Michael Douglas, who finds himself at the center of a deadly, labyrinthine alternate reality game.

Writer's Fee: 2 million
Budget: 70 million
Box Office: 109 million worldwide

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be more interested in what the highest priced spec script that never got made, is. I know of cases where writers got paid 6 figures for films that never got made, which in itself is pretty impressive as writers usually get paid a % of the films budget on top of the purchase price.

I'd be more interested in what the highest priced spec script that never got made, is. I know of cases where writers got paid 6 figures for films that never got made, which in itself is pretty impressive as writers usually get paid a % of the films budget on top of the purchase price.

Yeah, I couldn't tell you on that one.

It really is amazing though how many scripts studios have bought that then just sit in a vault somewhere.

I was listening to a Q&A with a screenwriter recently and he was mentioning that he had sold several scripts, but only one has been produced. And that a veteran screenwriter once told him that if he sees just six of his screenplays get produced before he dies then that is a solid, successful career.

More than anything though, I just can't believe it's fucking Deja Vu that sits on top.

My nephew just wrote a script for Paramount for a movie called "44" based on Son of Sam in NY but focusing more on crime reporter Jimmy Breslin. The movie is apparently budgeted at $200 million.
I don't know what he got for it. I'll have to ask him.

My nephew just wrote a script for Paramount for a movie called "44" based on Son of Sam in NY but focusing more on crime reporter Jimmy Breslin. The movie is apparently budgeted at $200 million.
I don't know what he got for it. I'll have to ask him.

Budgeted at $200 million? I can't believe that is correct.

Very few movies in film history have been budgeted that high and they were all films with a shitload of visual effects.

Yeah, I couldn't tell you on that one.

It really is amazing though how many scripts studios have bought that then just sit in a vault somewhere.

I was listening to a Q&A with a screenwriter recently and he was mentioning that he had sold several scripts, but only one has been produced. And that a veteran screenwriter once told him that if he sees just six of his screenplays get produced before he dies then that is a solid, successful career.

More than anything though, I just can't believe it's fucking Deja Vu that sits on top.

I think that's fairly common. The guy I was reading about had a very successful career but he'd only had a handful of films made.

DeJa Vue was awesome. But I never would have guessed it was the most expensive script.

I think that's fairly common. The guy I was reading about had a very successful career but he'd only had a handful of films made.

Frankly, I do not think I'd want to be a full-time screenwriter. It sounds boring and stressful, with relatively little reward. They tend to not get a lot of respect in the industry, the pay is relatively low compared to actors and directors, and they only rarely get to see their work brought to fruition.

Writing for myself with the intention of directing my own stuff is one thing, but I think if my only path to a career in movies was as a screenwriter then I'd pass.

Very few movies in film history have been budgeted that high and they were all films with a shitload of visual effects.
I know. When he told me that, I was like WTF? Maybe he misspoke. That type of movie certainly wouldn't need a budget like that IMO.

DeJa Vue was awesome. But I never would have guessed it was the most expensive script.

I thought it was okay, but nothing more than that.

It was basically just "a movie." It's not film that I've spent much time thinking about since I watched it, nor one that I've really felt compelled to revisit.

Also there's a movie about a serial killer called Child 44, and Jimmy Breslin is an actor.

I know. When he told me that, I was like WTF? Maybe he misspoke. That type of movie certainly wouldn't need a budget like that IMO.

I would ask him to run that by you again.

Depending on the talent involved, I would think for a movie like that $30 million to $60 million would sound more like it.

I thought it was okay, but nothing more than that.

It was basically just "a movie." It's not film that I've spent much time thinking about since I watched it, nor one that I've really felt compelled to revisit.

It wasn't mind blowing, but it was really fun. And I like almost anything with time travel.

Maybe they're planning on casting Cruise and RDJ, that's ~$100M right there.

yea, I no doubt misunderstood what he said or they're in fact getting big names.
this is only his first screenplay anyway. pretty sure he didn't get any huge payout
at the outset.

he's written Broadway plays though. his last play Nerds was set to open at the Longacre Theater but
the main financer pulled out at the last moment. everybody was pissed.

I like all of those movies, so money well spent.

Look at that box office money!! Worth every single penny imo!! Shit, underpaid actually.

Back