Movies Your most depressing movie

Simple Southerner

Etriviere By Hermes Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just had a flashback and thought about a requiem for a dream. I used to watch that movie a lot when I was younger but I can't hardly seem to be able to go through it these days. Such a depressing ass movie

Another few I thought of
Schindler's list
The machinist
The road

What's yours ?

Come and see

come-and-see-cover-art.jpg

I'm not all religious but passion of the Christ was pretty damn depressing

Not sure but a few that might not get mentioned by many...

Funny Games
Alien 3
Melancholia
Dancer in the Dark
Still Alice
Conspiracy
Downfall
Silent Running
Awakenings
The Plague Dogs

I thought Schindler's List had enough of an upturn at the end with the lives saved to avoid being a totally depressing experience. The Pianist is kind of along the same lines but with less to be happy about at the end.

The Grey Zone would have been depressing as hell if it had been executed a little better, with the skill of the best Holocaust movies like the above or The Counterfeiters, etc.

There was an AIDS documentary in the 90s called Silverlake Life that was incredibly depressing.

Last edited:
I'm sure not on purpose , but I'm also sure you've seen some we all have
{<BJPeen}
I haven't seen Schindler's list or the road. I saw the machinist, I guess it was depressing. I dunno that I'd wanna watch the movie again. I saw alien 3 listed, I just thought it was a shitty movie

The_Chronicles_of_Melanie_poster.jpg

The chronicles of Melanie.

Here's the synopsis:

In the early morning of June 14, 1941, under Stalin's orders, over 40 000 people from Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania were arrested, shoved into cattle cars and dispatched to permanent exile in Siberia. Among them - journalist Melanie and her 8 year old son Andrei, forcibly separated from husband and father Aleksandr. In the Siberian village women, ignorant of the fate of their husbands, are settled in badly built barracks and forced to work like slaves. Melanie keeps herself alive for her son and husband to whom she writes hundreds of love letters that are never sent, since his address remains unknown. She keeps her personal integrity in the face of starvation, hard work or disease. After 16 years, Melanie is released and returns to Riga, only to find out that her husband Alexander died in the camps in 1942.

The movie hit me really hard, because my mom's parents went through this shit (they spent 7 years in a gulag) and my grandma used to tell me stories from Siberia..Seeing the messed up scenes she told us about re-enacted in a film, really fucked me up, even at age 20, when I saw the film. I just saw it once, and I'm not touching it again. It's not extremely gory, it just makes me really emotional.

The feeling that the horrible stuff happening to the people in the film might have happened to my dear grandmother that I adored so much really breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes. She's such a warrior to survive everything

My mom refuses to watch the movie at all, so obviously it's too heavy for her too.

I wonder what stories grandma didn't tell, but chose to take them to her grave.

Last edited:
Back