Your TMA experience

Marvin Covar

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
To those who have trained in TMA's, what skills or traits have you learned that has translated well into the modern (more popular?) martial arts like Muay Thai, kickboxing and boxing?

you know I think nothing REALLY transfers. People will so "I got a solid stance from xxx" or "I got great kicks from xxx" but I think not really. As in, maybe you get a few months head start on some aspect because of your years of experience in something else, but it's not like that training gave you a huge advantage. In the grappling world there are guys who are black belts in judo or japanese jujitsu before starting BJJ. Does it give them a bit of a headstart? Kinda, but not REALLY

In my opinion really the ONLY I think translates across arts is athleticism. If you did hundreds of pushups and situps and lifted a bunch of weights, did explosive exercises for your TMA then that will translate. Everything else, not so much so.

Case in point is a guy I know who has black belts (this dude is legit, trust me) in three different styles of full contact karate. He can't box worth shit, and it's not because his karate sucks or he didn't train realistically, boxing's just DIFFERENT.

Comparing something like American kickboxing vs. Muay Thai is already like squash vs. tennis - pretty similar (you hit a ball with a racquet) but really when you lay it on the table and examine them in depth, VERY different. TMA vs. boxing on the other hand is a much bigger gap, like basketball vs. baseball.

You could argue the guy who played basketball, his running skill translates to running the bases in baseball. Again, the only thing that REALLY transfers is athleticism

I didn't have any transferrable skills or techniques from Shotokan to Muay Thai, but what I did learn was a penchant for good technique and form and the attitude that believes that it's never a bad idea to go back to the basics.

I took Seidokan for about 3 years when I was younger. Only thing that transferred into Muay Thai was the flexible I had. Throwing high kicks were easy for me.

I had to re-learn stance, how to kick, how to punch, defense..probably about 99% of stuff.

I didn't have any transferrable skills or techniques from Shotokan to Muay Thai, but what I did learn was a penchant for good technique and form and the attitude that believes that it's never a bad idea to go back to the basics.

Seconded.

Also, strong hands/wrists. Punching with a glove is a pleasure compared to bare knuckle :icon_chee

so Muay Thai is not a TMA?
If you want to get technical, yes. But what I was referring to when I said modern was the way they train, with a focus on realistic sparring. But that's just my opinion.

HKD 5 yrs as a kid...only thing that came with me to MT was etiquette and respect towards the studio and towards my kru and other students...other then that, nothing skill wise.

depends on which TMA and it changes from school to school. My japanese jujutsu blackbelt gave me a big head start in anything I touch... grappling, judo, kickboxing, weapons, fitness...
It all depends on how the classes are taught, mine have always had a focus on realism and always included contact sparring, sport grappling, etc.
Now that I teach japanese jujutsu full time, the focus is even greater on overall fighting ability... sure they may take longer to get their shodan ranking (tests based solely on JJJ based self defence), but by that point they will be experienced grapplers, strikers, etc
I guess you could call it modern jujutsu, rather than japanese jujutsu, but it's base is in traditional japanese jujutsu techniques and the knowledge you gain about the body from doing those techniques makes it pretty easy to pick up or incorporate something new

i did taekwondo.. thoug the master of the gym was a fuckin physco.. we rarely practices forms... until like 2weeks before grading.. it was mostly hitting pads and sparring.. it was a good experience.. where i got my flexablity, speed, and confidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Baker
Back