• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

You're in LE. Would you bust your parents/siblings?

Horse Style

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Let's say you're in a position of cracking down on criminal behavior. It could be a cop, security guard or a position in loss protection for a retail store. One day you witness your mother, father, sister or brother committing a crime (stealing, assault, etc.).

Would you bust your immediate family member or try your best to look the other way? Let's get past the "well, my mom would never do that" responses. Let's say no matter what kind of person your immediate family member is, you still witness them committing a crime whether it's a misdemeanor or felony. What would you do?

EDIT: Let's say your answer is "no". Would it still be a "no" if you had a partner with you who also witnessed the person committing the crime? How would you convince your partner to let your family member go?

Last edited:
Definitely confront, probably not charge depending on what it is. If they were a serious problem that would change.

Ask them why they did it?

That's an emo copout.

Of course I would. They're doing illegal shit, and it's my job to stop people from doing illegal shit.

I've already told my GF I would never cover for her if she killed someone or something. I told her I'd expect the same treatment

1. I would never be in law enforcement
2. If I was I would be corrupt as shit
3. Profit

That's an emo copout.

Of course I would. They're doing illegal shit, and it's my job to stop people from doing illegal shit.

I've already told my GF I would never cover for her if she killed someone or something. I told her I'd expect the same treatment

But what if its a child?

Probably not. I would def try and talk to them though and find out why they were doing it. It also depends on the crime. Serious things like murder, rape, etc are much different than say a non violent crime like shoplifting.

No, blood thicker than laws...but I would correct problem.

To the posters saying "no", my edit:

EDIT: Let's say your answer is "no". Would it still be a "no" if you had a partner with you who also witnessed the person committing the crime? How would you convince your partner to let your family member go?

To the posters saying "no", my edit:

You should also just list 3 or so crimes varying in levels of seriousness. Some people are looking at it from just petty theft while other much more serious. I think it would change answers.

You should also just list 3 or so crimes varying in levels of seriousness. Some people are looking at it from just petty theft while other much more serious. I think it would change answers.

1. Shoplifting hundreds of dollars of merchandise
2. Assaulting someone
3. Murder

I don't see why its so hard. They're breaking something you swore to uphold. Pretty cut and dry.

Nope. I'll explain him the situation and tell him to look the other way.

It's happened to me before. In the situation I was in I handed it off to my partner(LE partner, not life partner) to be impartial. Gotta keep that integrity son.

It's happened to me before. In the situation I was in I handed it off to my partner(LE partner, not life partner) to be impartial. Gotta keep that integrity son.

If you don't mind people asking, what was the crime?

God no - I would protect my family to the ends of the earth, regardless of what crimes they commit.

Obligation to my family supersedes all else.

Back