News Zombie Deer

DougieJones

You're The Man Now Dog Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Are any hunters here concerned about this spreading disease? Anyone have any encounters with infected animals?

‘Zombie deer disease’ concerns scientists over possible spread to humans

The discovery of Yellowstone National Park’s first case of chronic wasting disease (CWD) last month has raised concerns that the fatal brain disease may someday spread to humans, according to some scientists.

A deer carcass in the Wyoming area of the park tested positive for the highly contagious prion disease that can also cause weight loss, stumbling, listlessness and neurological symptoms, according to the CDC.

It has been spotted in deer, elk, reindeer and moose in areas of North America, Canada, Norway and South Korea.

Symptoms can take up to a year to develop and some have dubbed it the “zombie deer disease” since it changes in the hosts’ brains and nervous systems, leaving animals drooling, lethargic, emaciated, stumbling and with a telltale “blank stare,” according to the Guardian.

It is fatal, with no known treatments or vaccines.

CWD is one of a cluster of fatal neurological disorders that includes Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly referred to as “mad cow disease.”

“The BSE outbreak in Britain provided an example of how, overnight, things can get crazy when a spillover event happens from, say, livestock to people,” Dr. Cory Anderson told The Guardian. Anderson is a program co-director at the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP).

“We’re talking about the potential of something similar occurring. No one is saying that it’s definitely going to happen, but it’s important for people to be prepared,” Anderson added.

He added that what’s also worrying is that there is no known way to effectively and easily eradicate it, “neither from the animals it infects nor the environment it contaminates.”

Anderson said that once an environment is infected, the pathogen is extremely hard to eradicate. It can persist for years in dirt or on surfaces, and scientists report it is resistant to disinfectants, formaldehyde, radiation and incineration at 1,100 F, according to The Guardian.

Parks officials said that since the mid-1980s, the fatal brain disease has spread across Wyoming and is now found in most of the state. The disease is estimated to be found in 10-15% of the mule deer near Cody that migrate to the southeastern section of Yellowstone in the summer. Yellowstone National Park said last month that the long-term effect of the disease on deer, elk and moose in Yellowstone is uncertain.

The Alliance for Public Wildlife, according to the Guardian, estimated in 2017 that 7,000 to 15,000 CWD-infected animals a year were unwittingly being eaten by humans, and that the number was expected to increase by 20% annually.

It’s definitely a concern; I just don’t know that there’s a viable solution at this point.

Hit them with a Cody Cutter.

QaOwCt.gif

No I got human Zombies walking the streets around here. Maybe that's what they got. I always thought is was the drugs but maybe it's the CWS. I'll make sure I don't eat those ones. Thanks for the heads up.

I blame Ric Flair's energy drink which contains cordyceps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back