Social Zombie Deer Disease Reaches Yellowstone, Fears Raised That It May Jump To Humans

Deorum

Fuck Your Thots
@Black
Reaction score
I'm a little skeptical over the likelihood and risk of a jump to humans, but it's still a concern and damn shame. Yellowstone is the world's OG national park and rightfully considered one of America's first tier crown jewels alongside Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. For my money, it's arguably the most interesting and unique place in the world, possessing half of the entire planet's active geothermal features (geysers, hot springs, mudpots, steamvents, travertine terraces) while simultaneously doubling as North America's version of the Serengeti for apex predators and wildlife observation.

When the mule deer buck died in October, it perished in a place most humans would consider the middle of nowhere, miles from the nearest road. But its last breaths were not taken in an isolated corner of American geography. It succumbed to a long-dreaded disease in the backcountry of Yellowstone National Park, northwest Wyoming – the first confirmed case of chronic wasting disease in the country’s most famous nature reserve.

For years, chronic wasting disease (CWD), caused by prions – abnormal, transmissible pathogenic agents – has been spreading stealthily across North America, with concerns voiced primarily by hunters after spotting deer behaving strangely.

The prions cause changes in the hosts’ brains and nervous systems, leaving animals drooling, lethargic, emaciated, stumbling and with a telltale “blank stare” that led some to call it “zombie deer disease”. It spreads through the cervid family: deer, elk, moose, caribou, and reindeer. It is fatal, with no known treatments or vaccines.

Its discovery in Yellowstone, whose ecosystem supports the greatest and most diverse array of large wild mammals in the continental US, represents an important public wake-up call, says Dr. Thomas Roffe, a vet and former chief of animal health for the Fish & Wildlife Service, a US federal agency.

Roffe had been predicting CWD would reach Yellowstone for decades, warning that both the federal government and the state of Wyoming needed to take aggressive measures to help slow its spread. Those warnings went largely unheeded, he says, and now the consequences will play out before the millions who visit the park each year.

I'm getting that backstrap

giphy.gif

Been hearing about this for many years, and the concern is legit. I mean, DNR officers rarely have expressions beyond indignation, but with this they're afraid.

Farm-hunting, which is like the lowest tier of hunting, as well as deforestation, has to be a contributing factor, I think.

Yeah, it isn't something that has just suddenly appeared out of nowhere, but rearing its head in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem is a good way to draw attention and get into the mainstream news.

"Could spread to humans"...

Let me know when it actually does.

Judging by the idiotic and reckless behavior from far too many national park visitors, you'd think they were already infected with some type of degenerative brain disease. Grand Canyon actually claims more scalps, but Yellowstone probably has the highest overall FAFO potential. It isn't sad when these arrogant shitheads are drowned, boiled alive, or gored by a bison.

Judging by the idiotic and reckless behavior from far too many national park visitors, you'd think they were already infected with some type of degenerative brain disease. Grand Canyon actually claims more scalps, but Yellowstone probably has the highest overall FAFO potential. It isn't sad when these arrogant shitheads are drowned, boiled alive, or gored by a bison.

I mean, I guess it's sad for their family or whatever, but it doesn't bother me. I feel like if you boil to death in a geyser or get gored to death by a bison, or fall 2,000 feet to your deatulh trying to take a selfie - they have the potential to kill someone in the future.

Like that girl who was filming herself driving her car, wrecked it, and killed her sister. Then filmed herself trying to wake up her sister whose entire head was cracked open and missing her brain. I'd link the video but I'm sure I'd get carded for it.

Apparently she didn't learn her lesson after murdering her sister...

Obdulia Sanchez facing 6 charges after police chase, 2 years after sister died in livestreamed crash

The more morons that self-remove themselves from the gene pool, before they kill or main others, the better Imo.

They’ve been crying about chronic wasting disease since the 90s and it’s never gotten bad in the wild, and only significantly impacts deer farms and high fence “hunting ranches” that should be shut down

No human has ever even gotten sick from eating cwd venison, much less contracted CWD itself

I swear it’s a ploy by insurance companies to cull more deer so that they wreck fewer cars

Basically a Mad cow disease but for cervids. Pretty scary stuff, hope they can get it under control and I pray it doesn't become zoonotic.

Wild has hope for Yellowstone because, of all the national parks, it may have the one strength that could help its deer, elk and moose populations endure the disease: a healthy dose of predators.

“They’ve got wolves, they’ve got mountain lions. These predators can detect animals that are sick long before people can,” Wild said. “Some modeling we’ve done in the past, we showed that removal [of CWD-infected cervids] by hunters may help some. But what really helps is selective removal by predators.

Assuming that predators can detect and remove animals earlier in the disease course, they can reduce the amount of time a deer or elk is transmitting the disease to other animals either directly or by putting feces, urine or saliva into the environment that their counterparts could encounter. So, a complete predator guild like Yellowstone has is one of the best things I can think of for chronic wasting disease management.”

Other parks aren’t so lucky. The USGS has found that CWD was the leading cause of death in the elk population in Wind Cave National Park south of Rapid City, South Dakota, with infection rates up to 24 percent. So, scientists are evaluating the effectiveness of reducing elk density on chronic wasting-disease mortality. But without predators around, that requires that people either haze or harvest elk.

They’ve been crying about chronic wasting disease since the 90s and it’s never gotten bad in the wild, and only significantly impacts deer farms and high fence “hunting ranches” that should be shut down

No human has ever even gotten sick from eating cwd venison, much less contracted CWD itself

I swear it’s a ploy by insurance companies to cull more deer so that they wreck fewer cars

It can run rampant, eat Illinois and Wisconsin from the inside out for all I care. I want it culled and kept out of northwest Wyoming.

I mean, I guess it's sad for their family or whatever, but it doesn't bother me. I feel like if you boil to death in a geyser or get gored to death by a bison, or fall 2,000 feet to your death trying to take a selfie - they have the potential to kill someone in the future.

Zero Tolerance. Three Warnings.

🤔

It can run rampant, eat Illinois and Wisconsin from the inside out for all I care. I want it culled and kept out of northwest Wyoming.

Whoa...easy bro LOL. What did we ever do to you?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back