Zookeeper Gabe’s Animal Thread Vol 10.0

This Grandma Orangutan had her own baby, then her daughter had a baby that she couldn't take care of correctly so grandma took over! She is going to raise these 2 babies.

Epic Silverback dad D,Jeeco and his 2 sons Jabali and Ringo

I saw my first wild Badger a few months ago in Wisconsin. I've spent a good chunk of my life there and hadn't ever seen one before. It crossed the road and turned around and looked at us. Didn't get a pic but it looked just like this. Was a pretty cool moment.

American-badger.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63396954

_127339251_gettyimages-548996761.jpg.webp

A woman in Indonesia's Jambi province was killed and swallowed whole by a python, according to local reports.

Jahrah, a rubber-tapper reportedly in her 50s, had made her way to work at a rubber plantation on Sunday morning.

She was reported missing after failing to return that night, and search parties sent out to find her. A day later villagers found a python with what appeared to be a large stomach.

Locals later killed the snake and found her body inside.

After the snake - which was at least 5m (16ft) long - was spotted on Monday, villagers then caught and killed it to verify the victim's identity.

Though such incidents are rare, this is not the first time someone in Indonesia has been killed and eaten by a python. Two similar deaths were reported in the country between 2017 and 2018.

I always wonder how you end up being eaten by a snake. Falling asleep?

I always wonder how you end up being eaten by a snake. Falling asleep?
Why would you have to fall asleep? The snake slithers up to you and grabs and constricts you, then swallows you. Some snakes are venomous (not pythons), that can subdue prey as well although I don't know if any venomous snake is big enough to eat a human.

anaconda-snake.gif

Edit: I feel I should clarify that some snakes constrict, some have venom, some both constrict and have venom and some neither constrict nor have venom. Hopefully @Zookeeper Gabe knows but I think all the snakes which eat people are non-venomous constrictors.

Last edited:
In Sweden, a king cobra snake escaped from its zoo enclosure over the weekend prompting zoo officials to close the park in an effort to recover the cobra. The cobra first arrived at the zoo only a few days earlier

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/snake-escape-zoo-enclosure-houdini-clever-king-cobra-sweden/
Love the quotes from the staff

Visitor-is it safe to be here (as the animal is escaping)

Zookeeper- no, but we are working on it
Not sure if they have gotten the snake back yet or not.

predation events by large constrictors are rare, even if they kill a human we are difficult to consume due to our shoulders. Being ambush predators, it is a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The largest venomous snake is the king cobra and while they can get up to 18’ long they aren’t remotely wide enough to swallow a human. The majority of their prey are other snakes

predation events by large constrictors are rare, even if they kill a human we are difficult to consume due to our shoulders. Being ambush predators, it is a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The largest venomous snake is the king cobra and while they can get up to 18’ long they aren’t remotely wide enough to swallow a human. The majority of their prey are other snakes

The Natural History Museum in Finland has been full of Chilean Recluse spiders since the 60's, but only one person has been bitten.

Update, Sir Hiss, now renamed Houdini is located in a wall.. Skansen aquarium called in help from the customs office to get access to their equipment and they found him.. still working on getting him out..

Comments say the title is mislabeled and it's actually an egg eating snake (hog nose are the ones that play dead). Still cool to look at.

Comments say the title is mislabeled and it's actually an egg eating snake (hog nose are the ones that play dead). Still cool to look at.

I believe they are a mimic of saw scale vipers, saw scales make a very intimidating sound when being defensive.

Back