Does Rich Franklin deserve to be in the UFC hall of fame?

Western OPS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what people's thoughts on this are. The guy was a good champion and always a company man. He was a star during one of their most critically important eras. He has declined significantly in recent years but are his past contributions enough?

I think he will likely get in. He hasn't even officially said he is done yet though and technically can still do his one ufc fight even if that is unlikely at this point.

This is such a dumb thread, like really dumb

He is one of the few guys who deserves to be there. I think the Miletich guys who were champions should all be in there.

As much as I like Rich and want to say yes I don't so. He was a really good fighter but only has two title defenses, which puts him in the same spot as a lot of other fighters who aren't in the HoF yet. Maybe down the line but not quite yet.

Yes, he is a former champ with 2 defenses, like 20 fights in the UFC and is a role model. Well spoken guy outside of the cage and never in a boring fight.

Yes, he is a former champ with 2 defenses, like 20 fights in the UFC and is a role model. Well spoken guy outside of the cage and never in a boring fight.
This sounds right (great company man, lots of fights, former champion, class act).

To add to your quote him and Florian where one of the first fighters to take MMA training on strategically (proper strength and conditioning coaches, hiring nutritionist, alternative sources of recovery such as massage/yoga/acupuncture). They both loved training from the scientific point of view and they where some of the first to have well rounded training/coaching. Neither where high level atheltes and they showed how far you can get by being smart

What are your criteria for induction? He has two title defenses over guys who never made a serious impact in the sport (as much as I like Nate Quarry). He was a face of the UFC for a few years at the same time as Chuck Liddell. He was familiar to fans for a long time. Altogether, I don't think that's enough. Moderate popularity isn't a substitute for long-term achievement like Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz had.

He certainly does.

rich-franklin-2.gif

Yes, Hall of fame worthy career. He's about as close to being a lock as you will find.

The UFC HOF is a joke. Charles "Mask" Lewis is in, but Frank Shamrock is not.

I have no idea if Rich deserves to be in the UFC HOF, but if i was gonna out together an MMA HOF, he would not be in.

Yep. Dude was the first fighter that ever really grabbed my attention. Classy as hell and fought anyone the UFC put in front of him.

Legend in my book.

As much as I like Rich and want to say yes I don't so. He was a really good fighter but only has two title defenses, which puts him in the same spot as a lot of other fighters who aren't in the HoF yet. Maybe down the line but not quite yet.

Are you saying the only deserving middleweight is Silva? That's pretty limiting.

have a look who's already in there...if Franklin doesn't deserve to be there...you may as well scrap it as an idea.

Back