Game of Thrones discussion v25 Team White Walkers edition (NO BOOK TALK. No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jorah Mercury brought the stadium to its knees doe

Targaryen Rhapsody all up in this motherfucker!

we are talking GoT here. they will probably have him pushed down the stairs into a pile of nails and broken glass.

Doran would give no fucks. He'd just sit there and stare off into the Water Gardens some more.

I mean the faceless people argument is rough but it's not just true to entertaining, it's true to life, too. It's the same reason why an earthquake that absolutely devastates and kills tons of people thousands of miles away resonates less for an individual than his own sibling dying. One is a mass scale tragedy and the other is a loss of a single person but because that was a known person, it's more emotionally impacting.

But this is a guy you're rooting for (I should say 'were rooting for'), though. You could look the other way if your fav actor, singer, sports athlete, whatever killed a bunch of people in some other country, but you'd only have a problem if he killed his own daughter? People should have known what he was all along. A guy who is willing to sacrifice anyone to accomplish what he thinks is best for the realm. Alright, maybe you didn't know just how far he was willing to go.

But this is a guy you're rooting for (I should say 'were rooting for'), though. You could look the other way if your fav actor, singer, sports athlete, whatever killed a bunch of people in some other country, but you'd only have a problem if he killed his own daughter? People should have known what he was all along. A guy who is willing to sacrifice anyone to accomplish what he thinks is best for the realm. Alright, maybe you didn't know just how far he was willing to go.

If that was him he wouldnt had killed Renly.

Him and Ned were stupid as fuck.

Doran would give no fucks. He'd just sit there and stare off into the Water Gardens some more.

Yeah solid point.

If that was him he wouldnt had killed Renly.

Him and Ned were stupid as fuck.

Renly was dumb for thinking he could name himself king, and his older brother, who happened to be one of the best war generals of that time, would just sit there and be cool with it.

Even rob stark said renly had no claim, same as if bran wanted to be king before rob. Stannis gave him an opportunity to join him and he would've gotten a sweet deal out of it, but renly was too greedy.

She could be using him to help her destroy the great houses of Westeros though. The Lannisters are bankrupt, the Baratheons are near wiped out, the Tyrell's are in trouble and there's tension between the Lannisters and Martells.

This serves both their interests. If the old houses are destroyed it leaves a power vaccum she can fill with Bishops and Priests. He might be under her spell, or under the mistaken impression he can use her.

If they're not linked, they're certainly doing one another a bunch of favours.

Very tough to ascertain her motives but yeah we can all agree she's as skilled a Baratheon killer as Tyrion is a Lannister killer.

Will be real interesting if, down the line, Dany and Stannis ever encounter one another. The fire priestess in Volantis talking about the Dragon Queen savior really makes me wonder whether Melisandre will at some point throw her support in favor of Dany rather than Stannis or reveal to Stannis that he was never the one true king/savior.

Also, read an interview with a sand can this morning, and she said something big will happen with them to help make up for all the disappointment this season.

I wonder if that means Jamie is going down. I don't think anything is going to save the fail that has been the Sand Snakes sans titties.

People should have known what he was all along. A guy who is willing to sacrifice anyone to accomplish what he thinks is best for the realm.

That's never been the case so I don't know why you keep saying it. His own pride >>> the good of the realm.

He refused to join with Renly and Robb against the Lannisters, which would've been best for the realm, out of pride. He's basically killed everyone who doesn't kneel before him, out of pride. Heck, he was about to execute Davos until Melisandre intervened.

This season he ignored good battle tactics and the well-being of his army because he doesn't want to be known as "the king who ran." It has always been about pride, not what is best for the realm. He has had opportunity after opportunity to do what is best for the realm and keeps failing.

if u guys were stannis (same predicament), wat would u guys have done?

-not enough supplies to last the winter
-too far out to march back to castle black or forward to winterfell (due to weather)

well maybe if he had listened to his Hand - Davos they wouldn't be in that predicament

Davos explicitly warned that it might happened

Stannis firmly said "we march to victory, or we march to defeat, but we march forward"

so do as you say, and just march forward

Renly was dumb for thinking he could name himself king, and his older brother, who happened to be one of the best war generals of that time, would just sit there and be cool with it.

Even rob stark said renly had no claim, same as if bran wanted to be king before rob. Stannis gave him an opportunity to join him and he would've gotten a sweet deal out of it, but renly was too greedy.

Yeah but Renly had the backing of the Tyrells. That's where his confidence came from and to be fair, IIRC, he had the army and treasury advantage over Stannis. Hence the whole black magic mumbo jumbo Stannis resorted to instead of outright war.

Yeah but Renly had the backing of the Tyrells. That's where his confidence came from and to be fair, IIRC, he had the army and treasury advantage over Stannis. Hence the whole black magic mumbo jumbo Stannis resorted to instead of outright war.

He also was about to ally with Robb. He had the best shot of defeating the Lannisters by far. Stannis had no shot of making friends with anyone. His pride got in his way.

Stannis wasn't going back to the Wall. If he went back, then he'd have to wait out the Winter which would be years, sometimes over a decade. He was marching towards a victory or a defeat at Winterfell. The Wall wasn't an option in his mind.
I think thats part of the issue people have with stannis sacrificing his daughter. He marched forward win or lose. If he died trying, he seemed fine with it. But to resort to burning your child when you know you might lose is pretty bad.

That excited lip quiver Mace does when Cersei appoints him Master of Coin was hilarious... "Oh your grace!!" He is such a tool. Idk how that character led any armies ever.

How is he a boss?

Mace is definitely a boss. He's still a Mamas boy but is now the richest man in Westeros.

Mace is awesome. But its mainly Randall Tarly that does the army leading when they go to war I think.

And as for Renly, even though he didn't have a legit claim, he still had a good chance of winning. He had a big part of the Stormlands backing him since Robert had given him rule of Storm's End a while back, and he had the Tyrells backing him.

He only lost due to the black magic which he could not have predicted.

I wonder if that means Jamie is going down. I don't think anything is going to save the fail that has been the Sand Snakes sans titties.

Maybe they kill the king of Doran? That lady did not seem like she wanted to let the issue go.

Mace is awesome. But its mainly Randall Tarly that does the army leading when they go to war I think

You are correct, Ser. Tarly handed Bobby Baratheon his only loss during the rebellion, while Mace Tyrell and Paxter Redwyne laid siege to Storm's End and essentially feasted in sight of the starving garrison for the duration of the war, til good old Ned arrived on the scene after the sack of KL, which prompted Mace and co to quickly dip their banners without resistance.

LOL, Stannis would had gotten himself stomped without black magic, he only had dragonstone after all.

Might makes right buddy.

If claims were all that mattered Daenerys is the one true king.

Might makes right buddy.

If claims were all that mattered Daenerys is the one true king.

If might makes right then the Lannisters should have never tried to be usurped they had the power.

If claims were all that mattered it still wouldn't be Daenerys using your logic. Her ancestors stole the crowns of other kings.

Westeros was divided into many separate kingdoms each ruled by a local king. That is where they get the term "7 Kingdoms." Here's the list and a map:
Kingdom of the North, ruled by House Stark of Winterfell
Kingdom of the Mountain and the Vale, ruled by House Arryn of the Eyrie
Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers, ruled by House Hoare of castle Harrenhal. (Formed when the Iron Islands conquered the Riverlands.)
Kingdom of the Rock, ruled by House Lannister of Casterly Rock
Kingdom of the Stormlands, ruled by the House Durrendon of Storm's End
Kingdom of the Reach, ruled by House Gardener of Highgarden
Dorne, ruled by House Martell of Sunspear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back