How much is too much?

Dream101

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I've been hearing that too much exercise is bad for us. So how much is too much?

I've been told by numerous people that my daily routine of a 7km run and a 2 hour muay thai class is too much excessive strain on my body. People who are training for even amateur fights train more than that...not to mention full time pros(MMA, Muay thai).

What are your guys' opinions on this? How much exercise is too strenuous? What would be signs to know the amount of exercise I'm doing is bad for me?

Fat people will always tell you you exercise too much

When it makes your life worse rather than better

Bad for what, is the question. Short/medium term sports related goals and long term health aren't the same thing.

What are your guys' opinions on this? How much exercise is too strenuous? What would be signs to know the amount of exercise I'm doing is bad for me?

I think that any pro or good level amateur can do two sessions of physical activity a day, for five or six days in a week. But I am pretty sure no one can make those sessions balls-to-the-wall, grueling, all-out sessions: anyone who tries will stop improving and get injured.

If you do train a couple of sessions a day, most days, some sessions will be almost entirely technical or skill-based, some might involve very low intensity things like mobility work, some might be done at such low intensity that it qualifies as "active recovery". Sessions which are balls-to-the-wall will be carefully planned and sequenced. And overall the selection and sequencing of sessions will be very smart. (A caveat, I guess- if you are actually doing competitive events you probably won't quite be able to keep this up.)

Of course, if you are just doing stuff casually (like lifting a couple of times a week, jogging once, taking martial arts classes twice a week) if you tried to jump to a schedule like that right away it would probably wipe you out, even with all the low intensity/recovery sessions. But if you build up to it you should be fine.

The way to tell it is actually too much is simple in principle: you stop improving at a satisfactory rate, and/or you get injured, even though you are training smart, and your rest and nutrition are in point. In practice it's harder because when things stop working, it's hard to say for sure it is because you are doing too much, rather than the wrong things. But, if you are improving at what seems like a decent rate, not getting injured all the time and are enjoying it, then it is pretty safe to say you're not doing too much.

See, it's not really something you can quantify.

But you can get pretty damn close. That's why I like RPE training. It's a way to evaluate the ACTUAL effects of your training routine.

A good consensus would be if you feel burned out too early. If you're still feeling healthy, looking forward to training sessions, then you're still good. If the opposite, and always feeling tired, dread training, then its time to take a week off, reassess, and come back.

Although, I'd say 7km daily might be much.

See, it's not really something you can quantify.

But you can get pretty damn close. That's why I like RPE training. It's a way to evaluate the ACTUAL effects of your training routine.

I think it can easily be quantified. TS, are you improving? Sweet. Keep it up.

I can exercise a whole lot more the less of a fuck i give about being fat. Because Calories= recovery bitches.

firas zahabi just made a good video about fitness, it has some decent tips. everyone's body is different, as long as you know that you didn't overtrain to the point that you cant train tomorrow, you should be good

A good consensus would be if you feel burned out too early. If you're still feeling healthy, looking forward to training sessions, then you're still good. If the opposite, and always feeling tired, dread training, then its time to take a week off, reassess, and come back.

Although, I'd say 7km daily might be much.

7km daily too much? People in muay thai camps usually run 10km in the morning plus 5-10km in the afternoon PLUS all of their muay thai training.

This is exactly why I'm here asking for people's opinions because even some fitness instructors have told me that too much exercising can be detrimental to your health.

Going back to my question of what is too much? And is "too much" exercising going to up my risks of some health issues. It is not so much about risk of physical injury. What I'm being told is that it can have some serious health issues.

For example I was told by numerous fitness experts that running a marathon is actually terrible for the body because it's just too much. But the person who is running the marathon is clearly feeling alright....he's running it! Yet it's "bad" for health. I'm here wondering why it's bad, what are the consequences. And again it is not about the higher risk of physical injury from overtraining.

7km daily too much? People in muay thai camps usually run 10km in the morning plus 5-10km in the afternoon PLUS all of their muay thai training.

This is exactly why I'm here asking for people's opinions because even some fitness instructors have told me that too much exercising can be detrimental to your health.

Going back to my question of what is too much? And is "too much" exercising going to up my risks of some health issues. It is not so much about risk of physical injury. What I'm being told is that it can have some serious health issues.

For example I was told by numerous fitness experts that running a marathon is actually terrible for the body because it's just too much. But the person who is running the marathon is clearly feeling alright....he's running it! Yet it's "bad" for health. I'm here wondering why it's bad, what are the consequences. And again it is not about the higher risk of physical injury from overtraining.

I wouldn't say the frequency is too much, its just the duration. I said its alot, because 6-10+km daily over a long period of time ends up bringing knee injuries. Of course if your running form is good (main reason for injuries is bad form and prolonged distance) and you're not feeling anything wrong, its fine; Which comes back to my first point in the initial reply.

I can improve on Smolov, but it's sure as shit too much and not sustainable.

But it will help you improve, correct? Once improvement slows, then it's time to make a change. There's no need to fix something that isn't broken.

they also take a nap in the afternoon to recover from morning workout. lol they're on a full-day fighter's schedule, not something most people can afford to be on.

But it will help you improve, correct? Once improvement slows, then it's time to make a change. There's no need to fix something that isn't broken.

I think that's a flawed way of training. It will only work for such a short time before you have to keep program-hopping. Who wants that out of their training?

Why not instead get on a solid routine that can be used indefinitely?

Back