Why is Eddie Alvarez ranked #1?

Also he was already considered a top 5-10 LW since all the way back to 2008 to now.

Ferguson, kabib
khabib shouldnt even be ranked right now. anyone that is inactive for a year+ and has no fight lined up gets dropped out of most ranking systems.

and no way should khabib get a title shot on his return after 2 years out. Fergusons been looking great. he's still yet to defeat a truly elite opponent yet. One solid win though and he could definitely make the case for being ranked #1 (#2)

He just beat two top five guys
and former champions. Ferguson
beat two top ten opponents.
Khabib may as well be in another
sport at this point. He's lost
relevance, unfortunately

He just beat the #1 guy and was #4..... who else would you put #1??? The only debatable person is Cerrone.

Khabib had one top 10 win in his entire career, that was to #10 ranked RDA at the time. He can't stay healthy for shit and he fights every fight exactly the same way Eddie Is being criticized for using against Pettis.

Ferguson only has 3 top 10 fights, losing to #9 ranked MJ, then beating #8 ranked Thomson and #7 ranked Barboza, in which he was getting his ass kicked the majority of the fight against both of them. Sorry but beating the #7 & 8th ranked guys only makes you #6.

Alvarez has 8 top 10 fights with 6 of them being wins to #3 ranked Kawajiri, #4 ranked Hansen, #3 ranked Aoki, #5 Chandler, #4 me Melendez and #2 Pettis. He's clearly the #1 contender

Go ahead and throw out the old fights and only use his UFC fights if you want, Eddie has fought 3 guys that are far Better than anyone Ferguson has ever fought and IMO all 3 of them beat Ferguson

He just beat 2 top 5 guys including the division's #1 contender. Where the hell do you want him to be ranked? He earned top contender spot.

Ferguson hasn't beat anyone near as good as Alvarez had. Josh Thompson is Ferguson's best win and he was definitely outside the top 5 and coming off 2 losses in a row. Ferguson made it 3 in a row. Barboza has always been a fringe top 10 guy. Ferguson has done enough to warrant a high profile fight not a title shot.

Plus loss to Cowboy > loss to MJ

Bc he's baller as fuck.

EddieAlvarezBellator.jpg

Lost a close decision to Donald Cerrone who was ranked pretty high himself at the time... probably didn't drop very far in the rankings for it.

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Eddie had a good first round, due to Cerrone being a slow starter, but he was clearly outmatched for the remaining two rounds. Cerrone destroyed his legs with low kicks, while nullifying his boxing and take downs with knees and kicks to the body. Had that fight been 5 rounds, he would have easily been finished in the fourth. The fight was competitive, but not close at all.

Eddie's ranking makes sense, but his actual accomplishments have been very iffy. He hasn't really beaten anyone in a fashion that removes most doubt that he won. Both of his recent wins, are iffy imo.

Here's a way to make your life happier.

99% of what is written about MMA (regardless of what it is), is done by people with no competition experience, projecting their own shitty opinions onto a sport they have no experience in.

Once I accepted that, looking at this sport critically got a lot more enjoyable. This is a wonderful sport full of shitty opinions.

Though, in all honesty, this isn't that bad of a ranking. Alvarez is on a 2 fight win streak and has wins over Pettis and Melendez, which is better than almost anyone else in the division (basically, better than anyone not named Ferguson or Khabib).

Spot on. Too many people not accepting that Alvarez did nothing wrong, and Pettis is at fault for making seemingly no effort to combat his weaknesses. How can someone who back to back beat Gil and Showtime be argued for being #1 or at least in the mix

He just beat the #1 guy and was #4..... who else would you put #1??? The only debatable person is Cerrone.

Khabib had one top 10 win in his entire career, that was to #10 ranked RDA at the time. He can't stay healthy for shit and he fights every fight exactly the same way Eddie Is being criticized for using against Pettis.

Ferguson only has 3 top 10 fights, losing to #9 ranked MJ, then beating #8 ranked Thomson and #7 ranked Barboza, in which he was getting his ass kicked the majority of the fight against both of them. Sorry but beating the #7 & 8th ranked guys only makes you #6.

Alvarez has 8 top 10 fights with 6 of them being wins to #3 ranked Kawajiri, #4 ranked Hansen, #3 ranked Aoki, #5 Chandler, #4 me Melendez and #2 Pettis. He's clearly the #1 contender

Go ahead and throw out the old fights and only use his UFC fights if you want, Eddie has fought 3 guys that are far Better than anyone Ferguson has ever fought and IMO all 3 of them beat Ferguson

Exactly. I'm a big Ferguson fan but he's def not ahead of Alvarez. Barboza took the fight on short notice as well, it was still a good win, though.

Khabib really needs to fuck off. He'll be inactive for 2 YEARS in April and I'm pretty sure he's injured right now.

He loses to Cowboy in his UFC debut then two split decision wins and he gets vaulted to #1. Benson henderson loses controversially to Cowboy and gets KOd by RDA but beat thatch at ww and has 3 other wins since losing the title and is dropped to 15?
cause he beat pettis who was ranked 1

The fight against Barboza was back and forth, Tony gave as good as he got in that fight. He beat the shit out of Thomson. That is a flat out lie that that right was ever in Thomson's favor

He loses to Cowboy in his UFC debut then two split decision wins and he gets vaulted to #1. Benson henderson loses controversially to Cowboy and gets KOd by RDA but beat thatch at ww and has 3 other wins since losing the title and is dropped to 15?
Ben is apparently a full-time welterweight now, ranked #13 at 170.

I should say that I'm not sure how his original UFC ranking came about, but Alvarez DOES now have wins over Gil and Pettis. Split-decision wins, but wins all the same. I feel weird having him at #1, but there's really nobody else right now.

Right now, the top at LW is kind of a muddle. Alvarez has SD wins over Pettis and Melendez but a solid UD loss to Cerrone; Khabib holds a win over the current champ RDA but hasn't fought in the nearly 2 years since; Pettis is a former champ who stopped Cerrone and Gil, but got dominated by RDA and just out-wrestled by Alvarez; Cerrone has beaten Alvarez and just about everybody else he fights, but been thoroughly beaten by RDA x2 and Pettis; Ferguson has beaten the last 7 guys put in front of him. There's your top 5.

Ferguson only has 3 top 10 fights, losing to #9 ranked MJ
It should bear mentioning that at the time they were both unranked and Tony broke his arm early in the first. I believe a rematch would go very differently.

Last edited:
If Eddie talked some trash and embraced his half Irish ancestry, the same posters who criticize his #1 ranking might be claiming he's GOAT of all weight classes.

It's so the UFC can give Eddie the title shot of Conor wins. They want to have best match ups with the excuse because of rankings. If Conor wins Nurmi is going to get he Edgar treatment, and someone like Bendo will be banned from a return to LW.

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Eddie had a good first round, due to Cerrone being a slow starter, but he was clearly outmatched for the remaining two rounds. Cerrone destroyed his legs with low kicks, while nullifying his boxing and take downs with knees and kicks to the body. Had that fight been 5 rounds, he would have easily been finished in the fourth. The fight was competitive, but not close at all.

Eddie's ranking makes sense, but his actual accomplishments have been very iffy. He hasn't really beaten anyone in a fashion that removes most doubt that he won. Both of his recent wins, are iffy imo.
Well he lost a decision 2 rounds to 1, and definitely didn't get blown out, call it competitive if you like that better, but claiming he would have been "easily finished in the 4th" is pretty silly, especially talking about a guy with championship experience who is known for his grit and durability.

I hear what you're saying about the way he won, but 2 out of 3 of Robbie Lawler's last wins are very iffy... Dominick Cruz's last win is very iffy... same with Daniel Cormier's... and those guys are all wearing belts.

I guess when you're ranking them, you can only go by official wins and losses, otherwise you would have a big mess in every division.

Well he kinda deserves it, but the way he got to be was pretty unimpressive.

Bendo left the division, that's why he dropped. Alvarez has been beating top ranked guys, that's why he rose so fast. He beat Gil who was coming off a title shit and Pettis who was coming off holding the title, two pretty huge wins.

most of you seem to be focused on just the wins between Tony and Eddie....but what about their losses....as in how recent they were...that doesnt play into it? Eddie lost about a year n half ago and Tony last lost like 3nhalf years ago...I see the points on both sides but imo Tony should have got the spot in this situation as he has more momentum behind him at this point...his fights have all been exicting on his streak whereas Eddies have been less than impressive

Back