Game of Thrones discussion v26: Season 5 Finale edition (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't.

Though his character served its purpose.

When fans of Stannis say 'They didn't show him die. He could still be alive.' I say 'Yeah, just like Syrio Forrell?'

yah i know he died... it was just wishful thinking, because he clearly was a dope swordsman

thanks. as an aside, i would not be surprised to see the books and the show end differently...that's if RR decides to even finish them.
I think we'll see Book 6 late next year but we'll never live to see the 7th Book released. GRRM doesn't care anymore.

He didn't.

Though his character served its purpose.

When fans of Stannis say 'They didn't show him die. He could still be alive.' I say 'Yeah, just like Syrio Forrell?'

I think Syrio is dead too, but the main difference here is the fact that Stannis has had more screen time in a single episode than Syrio had in the entire series. You'd expect a character like Stannis to die on screen.

I also think Stannis is dead, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I also think Stannis is dead, but I wouldn't bet on it.

He's dead. I'd bet on that.

Brienne has more motivation to kill Stannis than any other character in the series. She recited the sentence, he gave his blessing, and she swung the sword.

What motivation would she have to decide to spare him, mid-swing? How could he aid her? He couldn't walk, and she'd have to transport him everywhere.

He torched his own daughter, his wife hung herself, half of his army deserted, the other half was led to slaughter, and he died at the hand of the kingsguard of his brother than he murdered. He's had the best demise in GoT since Rob.

Well, the biggest problem during Seasons 1-4 was that even if the book discussion didn't mention spoilers it could be used to make predictions on what could happen next. That was the main issue with book talk, all we'll have to worry about for now is spoilers, which won't even be a tenth as bad as before. Most of them will come from leaks.

As for the characters that haven't been introduced, the majority of those characters have had their roles used by current characters. We have Euron Greyjoy cast for this Season, all the others that they talk about they've been saying since before Season 4.

Leaks and from the press and IMdB.

To be perfectly honest, I would have enjoyed this show a hell of a lot more if I had discovered it after it was finished, had heard nothing, and binge watched it with no contact with the outside world until I was done. So many things have been diminished for me because previews and the like have given them away, like the Viper fighting the Mountain. I would have loved to have been clueless, wondering who was going to defend Tyrion, until Oberyn made the epic reveal, but that couple of seconds from the season preview ruined that completely, and the scenes with Jaime and Bronn as well, knowing it wasn't going to be them. I go way out of my way to avoid stuff like that, but someone posted a gif of that fight right in this thread, so I was burned.

I don't understand why there isn't a rule about putting spoiler tags around anything from previews, books, casting or the like. It would be insanely easy to enforce and would fix so many problems. People who want to see it could just click a button, people that are only here to discuss what we've seen or THINK will happen would be safe.

It doesn't affect me so much any more because I just said screw it and buried myself in the lore, but if there's ever another mega show like this again, there is no way I'm going to spend any time talking about it in a Sherdog thread until it is completely over.

Brienne has more motivation to kill Stannis than any other character in the series. She recited the sentence, he gave his blessing, and she swung the sword.

What motivation would she have to decide to spare him, mid-swing? How could he aid her? He couldn't walk, and she'd have to transport him everywhere.

He torched his own daughter, his wife hung herself, half of his army deserted, the other half was led to slaughter, and he died at the hand of the kingsguard of his brother than he murdered. He's had the best demise in GoT since Rob.

Then why would this show, that has reveled in showing us characters dying in agonizing glory, not show it here?

As I said I'm pretty sure he's dead but I think the door is still wide open.

Then why would this show, that has reveled in showing us characters dying in agonizing glory, not show it here?

As I said I'm pretty sure he's dead but I think the door is still wide open.

Which role would his character serve in the story?

Stannis the mannis.

Which role would his character serve in the story?

I have no idea. Really, no idea, which is one of the reasons I like you think he's dead.

All I'm saying is they left the door open, and if he's dead, we should have seen it happen.

It's leaving me with that hollow feeling I had at the end of No Country For Old Men.

brienne could possibly use him as a bargaining chip to get ole girl away from ramsey

lol of course he wouldnt honor it ... this is ramsey bolton we are talking about

i was just thinking of reasons why she might potentially keep him alive

Leaks and from the press and IMdB.

To be perfectly honest, I would have enjoyed this show a hell of a lot more if I had discovered it after it was finished, had heard nothing, and binge watched it with no contact with the outside world until I was done. So many things have been diminished for me because previews and the like have given them away, like the Viper fighting the Mountain. I would have loved to have been clueless, wondering who was going to defend Tyrion, until Oberyn made the epic reveal, but that couple of seconds from the season preview ruined that completely, and the scenes with Jaime and Bronn as well, knowing it wasn't going to be them. I go way out of my way to avoid stuff like that, but someone posted a gif of that fight right in this thread, so I was burned.

I don't understand why there isn't a rule about putting spoiler tags around anything from previews, books, casting or the like. It would be insanely easy to enforce and would fix so many problems. People who want to see it could just click a button, people that are only here to discuss what we've seen or THINK will happen would be safe.

It doesn't affect me so much any more because I just said screw it and buried myself in the lore, but if there's ever another mega show like this again, there is no way I'm going to spend any time talking about it in a Sherdog thread until it is completely over.
Agree on all parts. There were many threads for people who read the books.

Also, I'll never understand why TV shows would show such big reveals in previews or trailers.

Agree on all parts. There were many threads for people who read the books.

Also, I'll never understand why TV shows would show such big reveals in previews or trailers.

I imagine marketing has determined that people want to know what's coming, trailers for pretty much everything are packed with spoilers now, often telling most of the story.

Hell, look at the zeal with which people in these threads post that stuff, combing every possible source for any information about what's coming.

I'm super careful even going to IMdB, ignoring the actors names when possible because it shows how many episodes they're in.

just in case

jon is going to warg into ghost. the night's watch bros will know about ghost and jon, so ghostjon will have to run away. he's going to head down to winterfell to see what is up, find stanis badly hurt, but not dead, then he is going to warg into stannis and create the savior mel has been talking about, stanjon. for the rest of the series, the people of westeros will see only stannis, while the viewer will see him as jon, who is really in control of stanis' body.

No, she won't, and she's not dumb.

Dumb characters don't last long in GoT.

Disagree.

She was really dumb in the books and she's pretty dumb in the show (most of the time). She makes too many decisions based on code that should absolutely have gotten her killed by now.

It's far more obvious in the books where you can hear what she's thinking.

Disagree.

She was really dumb in the books and she's pretty dumb in the show (most of the time). She makes too many decisions based on code that should absolutely have gotten her killed by now.

It's far more obvious in the books where you can hear what she's thinking.

I'm talking about HBO Brienne.

Ok, is she the smartest character in the series? Oh hell no.

But she's been cunning, has a great killer instinct in battle, and true to her word and oaths.

Calling her 'dumb' wouldn't be accurate.

I imagine marketing has determined that people want to know what's coming, trailers for pretty much everything are packed with spoilers now, often telling most of the story.

Hell, look at the zeal with which people in these threads post that stuff, combing every possible source for any information about what's coming.

I'm super careful even going to IMdB, ignoring the actors names when possible because it shows how many episodes they're in.
I find it really odd that people want to know so much. I always imagined that the people who were looking for information were the people who read the books and just were curious about how it would be adapted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back