Opinion: Connor will NOT fight at 145 again!

I suspect that Conor/Aldo 2 will look alot like Cain/JDS2. Cain got caught and finished quick is the first one (not as quick as aldo but quick anyway). but i still think aldo wins that matchup 8/10 times. He hits hard, he has a monster leg kicks and knees, and he's a high level BJJ blackbelt. I think he's the more complete fighter. Like JDS conor can always win, even if he's overmatched, by catching his opponent with a perfect shot like in the first fight. But i think aldo is the better fighter.
I think 100% conor comes back to FW, so he can keep his belt for one, and so that he can reassert his dominance at FW and move back up to LW with some momentum back. If i had to bet, i'd bet conor loses his FW belt by end of year and goes up to LW for good. Prob is LW is a tough division for him. I doubt he'll dominate there. His power is not as effective, and there's alot of beast wrestlers who will maul him on the ground like RDA, Alvarez and Khabib. Not that he cant beat them, but it'll be a tough tough road, and he'll have to be in some wars that after watching his fight with Nate, he is not currently prepared for.
Wow I totally agree with this

I tend to agree with this. I don't see how he was every going to bulk up to 170 and the cutback down to 145 in 4 or 5 months. I think he will lose the rematch to Nate drop the Featherweight belt and then re-launch his second run at lightweight with a stadium fight in Ireland against someone like Joe Duffy.
If he fights Diaz on 201 at 170, that's about 6 months away. Aldo/Edgar would be possibly cleared by then, but I don't see it happening for six months. so possibly middle 2017. at 170 i don't see stickin around even if he beats Diaz. Conor at 155 against anyone in Ireland most likely, but they might give a TS regardless.

Guy who has made weight every time and performed quite well against top guys "can't make that weight ever again" according to some jackass on sherdog

Ok....

Couldn't just be that he is making money fighting Nate just to make money while avoiding the risk of losing his belt... That makes too much sense. Gotta be that weight bullshit, people keep typing that in all caps so they must be pretty serious.

Guy who has made weight every time and performed quite well against top guys "can't make that weight ever again" according to some jackass on sherdog

Ok....

Couldn't just be that he is making money fighting Nate just to make money while avoiding the risk of losing his belt... That makes too much sense. Gotta be that weight bullshit, people keep typing that in all caps so they must be pretty serious.
I wanted to say this too. could be, and probably is true. Who was or should have been next for Conor at 145? Maybe Frankie? I think that's why he moved up. And thought he'd roll thru Diaz.

Ok....

I agree. He has never missed weight. I think if Connor truly wants to get to 145 again he can. But I'm less than convinced that Conor even wants to go back to FW.

I don't think he fights Nate again anytime soon.He has to defend his belt and if he wins I can see him moving up to 155 to fight Nate eventually.If he loses the defense I don't see an immediate rematch coming
If aldo beats frankie, and aldo then beats conor, maybe the trilogy. Bullshit rematches happen all the time. Even if he has to fight frankie and loses. Nate is fringe top 10, so if Conor goes to 155, maybe that's his first fight there.

The fight is irrelevant till he mans up and fights him at 155.He isn't beating Nate at 170 ever
Never say never. I'm not going to write him off against Nate. Conversely, there is no guarantee he could beat Nate even at 155.

Now when you irrelevant, irrelevant to what? If his goal is a big money fight, Nate is a big money fight at LW or at WW either one. Now, he needs to get that one back if he wants to chase the money fights rather than going back to FW. But maybe he needs to do it at 170 to prove something to himself. Maybe the game changed. Maybe it is still about money, but now it is about pride as well. I mean, I don't know. But I don't see how it is irrelevant unless you are just talking about relevance to the FW division.

Conor needs to defend his belt before any play can come in motion.Thats a fact
How is that a fact? If they want to, and all parties are willing, they can rebook the Diaz fight. The DIaz fight is a bigger fight than either Aldo or Edgar. If he is able to find a way to beat Diaz, it opens the door for other money fights that aren't contingent on defending his title.

Also, don't forget, there are no rules. We are talking about a company who gives guys title fights who are coming off losses. We are talking about a promotion that will go for the money fight. Even coming off the Diaz loss, if GSP came back today and said he wanted the fight that would net him the most coin, that is going to be McGregor. I don't think it's ideal. I don't think it is the most likely scenario. But it really isn't that far fetched either. Even off the loss, McGregor is probably still the biggest draw. If McGregor is the biggest money fight for GSP, and GSP is the biggest money fight for McGregor, and it is going to be the biggest money fight the UFC can put on, it's not too wild to think they would do it.

yes...it can be done.....but if he loses because of the weight cut ...heck if he loses period he's almost done

Ah well now your talking about something else. Which might be true who knows. Other top fighters have lost before and still been able to sell big later on. GSP lost twice and was still able to go on and be bigger than ever. It's hard to predict how long the casuals will stay and who they will latch on to.

How is that a fact? If they want to, and all parties are willing, they can rebook the Diaz fight. The DIaz fight is a bigger fight than either Aldo or Edgar. If he is able to find a way to beat Diaz, it opens the door for other money fights that aren't contingent on defending his title.

Also, don't forget, there are no rules. We are talking about a company who gives guys title fights who are coming off losses. We are talking about a promotion that will go for the money fight. Even coming off the Diaz loss, if GSP came back today and said he wanted the fight that would net him the most coin, that is going to be McGregor. I don't think it's ideal. I don't think it is the most likely scenario. But it really isn't that far fetched either. Even off the loss, McGregor is probably still the biggest draw. If McGregor is the biggest money fight for GSP, and GSP is the biggest money fight for McGregor, and it is going to be the biggest money fight the UFC can put on, it's not too wild to think they would do it.
If he loses his defense what relevance does he even have to fight in a bigger weight class.We just saw Nate beat his ass.He has to win his defense.

I wanted to say this too. could be, and probably is true. Who was or should have been next for Conor at 145? Maybe Frankie? I think that's why he moved up. And thought he'd roll thru Diaz.

If you think about it he chose to make possibly more money (the Diaz fight was huge and the RDA fight would have been too as it would have been for the LW belt) to stay champ regardless of outcome

Rather than fight a very tough Frankie Edgar and be "former champ" if he lost.

On paper Nate is probably the easier looking fight (though Nates chin and boxing proved to be a bigger problem than Conor could deal with)

He chose to take the path of most money. Remember he still has a HUGE fight vs Frankie or Aldo waiting for him. Conor's return to FW... That will be a big payday, especially if he isn't coming off of TWO losses. (Which may have aided his decision in the 200 debacle but who knows)

Ok....

it's ok in 6 months I will bump and I accept your apology...I used caps to used emphasis a point you jerk

If you think about it he chose to make possibly more money (the Diaz fight was huge and the RDA fight would have been too as it would have been for the LW belt) to stay champ regardless of outcome

On paper Nate is probably the easier looking fight (though Nates chin and boxing proved to be a bigger problem than Conor could deal with)

He chose to take the path of most money. Remember he still has a HUGE fight vs Frankie or Aldo waiting for him. Conor's return to FW... That will be a big payday, especially if he isn't coming off of TWO losses. (Which may have aided his decision in the 200 debacle but who knows)
he ain't making 145! ....he is avoiding it like the plague.

he wont fight at 145 thats for sure. just strip him of the belt and dont let him hold up the division, he aint no champ, he never even defended the belt once

First thing Conor fans need to know is for all of the "Conor is brilliant" comments....he wasn't smart enough to know that he is an employee and does not own his own company....Mayweather does....and when you don't own the company you don't get to call the shots the company does ( no matter how much the owners like you)....mayweather does ....when you work for the company the company will squeeze every single dollar our of you then discard you like a used napkins connor did not understand this ....mayweather did/does....see where this is going?

Let me be clear that....I understand why Conor is doing what he is doing.... but as a fan of the sport....it's disheartening to watch him do it knowing he doesn't truly deserve it from a pure fight stand point not from a business perspective....and that real
The thing is, you are talking from your point of view., which is fine. But I'm also a fan of the sport, and I'm fine with all of this. Does that mean you are right and I'm wrong? Does that mean I'm not as much of a fan as you? Not everyone wants/needs everything to be from a pure fight stand point.

Some people were pissed when they cut guys like Fitch, Okami, and Shields because they were among the best, and the best belong in the UFC. Some people don't care about that. To them, if it isn't entertaining, they have no desire to watch it. Many people were happy those fighters were gone.

Some people wanted more spectacle for UFC 200. They wanted super fights, champs vs. champs, Fedor, GSP, stuff they don't normally see in the average card. Some people think it's a waste of time and even an event like UFC 200 should still only have fights that are relevant to the title picture of each division.

Some people like the women. Some people don't.

Some people like the smaller weights. Some people don't.

Some people think prospects shouldn't fight other prospects, and contenders shouldn't fight each other because it might bump off a potential title challenger. Some people just want them to make the best fights they can because they think having a plethora of great fights is more important than trying to force the best situation for just a few title fights a year.

Some people think the UFC should only consist of the very top tier fighters. Some people like the fact that the UFC develops a lot of their talent on UFN cards and prelims.

Some people like having all of the top talent in one promotion. Some people liked it better when the talent was spread out, and actually prefer speculating about who would win rather than actually getting to find out.

Some people think everything should follow an exact formula. Some people are okay with a little chaos and mixing things up.

Some people would rather pay for a card filled with top names, even if they more than likely will put on bad fights. Some people would rather pay for mid-tier fighters who routinely put on barn burners.

Some people like to see guys like BJ Penn and Conor McGregor go up and challenge the champs in neighboring weight classes, or want guys like GSP, Silva, Jones, etc to go up and do the same. Some fans don't think a champ should ever go out of his weight class, but would rather them only defend their title.

Some people think the UFC needs big stars like Lesnar, Rousey, McGregor, etc. Some fans want fighters like that ran out of the sport.

Some people like the trash talk, the antics, the show. Some people don't like it, they think it's too pro wrestlingesque, and the fights themselves are either enough, or should be enough.

Some people respect the "villains" like Bisping, McGregor, the Diaz brothers, Lesnar, etc, and their place in the sport, how good they are, their drawing power, their entertainment value, etc. Some people hate fighters like that and think they should be ran out of the sport.

Some people thing MMA should stay as true to a pure sport as they can, even at the expense of their own entertainment. Some people don't care how pure it is if they aren't being entertained.

But it's not like there are two sides here. There are many different kinds of fans with their own unique desires and things they like to see from the UFC and MMA in general. There are people who are indifferent. With all of these different fans with different tastes, who should the UFC caterto? The realty is that it is their company. They can't please everyone. No matter what they do, some fans will get pissed. So they might as well do whatever they want. If they want to adhere to a strict guideline, they can. If they want to break their own rules, that is fine too. Some people will think it's bullshit. Some people will like it more. Who are you, me, or any of us to say what they should or shouldn't do? Because what we say is going to be based of our own unique point of view.

LOL @ a millionaire trying to play a game that only billionaires' can play....and you guy think Conor is smart LOL

The thing is, you are talking from your point of view., which is fine. But I'm also a fan of the sport, and I'm fine with all of this. Does that mean you are right and I'm wrong? Does that mean I'm not as much of a fan as you? Not everyone wants/needs everything to be from a pure fight stand point.

Some people were pissed when they cut guys like Fitch, Okami, and Shields because they were among the best, and the best belong in the UFC. Some people don't care about that. To them, if it isn't entertaining, they have no desire to watch it. Many people were happy those fighters were gone.

Some people wanted more spectacle for UFC 200. They wanted super fights, champs vs. champs, Fedor, GSP, stuff they don't normally see in the average card. Some people think it's a waste of time and even an event like UFC 200 should still only have fights that are relevant to the title picture of each division.

Some people like the women. Some people don't.

Some people like the smaller weights. Some people don't.

Some people think prospects shouldn't fight other prospects, and contenders shouldn't fight each other because it might bump off a potential title challenger. Some people just want them to make the best fights they can because they think having a plethora of great fights is more important than trying to force the best situation for just a few title fights a year.

Some people think the UFC should only consist of the very top tier fighters. Some people like the fact that the UFC develops a lot of their talent on UFN cards and prelims.

Some people like having all of the top talent in one promotion. Some people liked it better when the talent was spread out, and actually prefer speculating about who would win rather than actually getting to find out.

Some people think everything should follow an exact formula. Some people are okay with a little chaos and mixing things up.

Some people would rather pay for a card filled with top names, even if they more than likely will put on bad fights. Some people would rather pay for mid-tier fighters who routinely put on barn burners.

Some people like to see guys like BJ Penn and Conor McGregor go up and challenge the champs in neighboring weight classes, or want guys like GSP, Silva, Jones, etc to go up and do the same. Some fans don't think a champ should ever go out of his weight class, but would rather them only defend their title.

Some people think the UFC needs big stars like Lesnar, Rousey, McGregor, etc. Some fans want fighters like that ran out of the sport.

Some people like the trash talk, the antics, the show. Some people don't like it, they think it's too pro wrestlingesque, and the fights themselves are either enough, or should be enough.

Some people respect the "villains" like Bisping, McGregor, the Diaz brothers, Lesnar, etc, and their place in the sport, how good they are, their drawing power, their entertainment value, etc. Some people hate fighters like that and think they should be ran out of the sport.

Some people thing MMA should stay as true to a pure sport as they can, even at the expense of their own entertainment. Some people don't care how pure it is if they aren't being entertained.

But it's not like there are two sides here. There are many different kinds of fans with their own unique desires and things they like to see from the UFC and MMA in general. There are people who are indifferent. With all of these different fans with different tastes, who should the UFC caterto? The realty is that it is their company. They can't please everyone. No matter what they do, some fans will get pissed. So they might as well do whatever they want. If they want to adhere to a strict guideline, they can. If they want to break their own rules, that is fine too. Some people will think it's bullshit. Some people will like it more. Who are you, me, or any of us to say what they should or shouldn't do? Because what we say is going to be based of our own unique point of view.
I see where you are coming from and respect it ....but don't you think it makes a farce of our sport??

Back