Welcome to Leith

Winnie The Foo

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So I watched this documentary, Welcome to Leith, last night. Went into it not really knowing what to expect. After I watched it I found myself kind of siding with the White Supremacists.

Basically Craig Cobb, who described himself as one of the "most famous racists" finds a small town in North Dakota, with a population of about 24 people. He decides he would like to move there and start an all white/pro-white community. He buys a bunch of land and invites some other "well-known" white supremacists to move there, become the majority then start a takeover. However the current residents aren't allowing him to do so without resistance. A lot of back and forth bickering takes place, then Cobb and one of his buddies stroll through the neighborhood with loaded weapons. They end up being arrested for terrorism and basically forced to leave town.

Not sure if anyone else is familiar with this event, but would like to get the War Room's take on all of it.
welcome-to-leith-sig.jpg

Welcome to Leith chronicles the attempted takeover of a small town in North Dakota by notorious white supremacist Craig Cobb. As his behavior becomes more threatening, tensions soar and residents desperately look for ways to expel their unwanted neighbor. An unsettling exploration of what happens to democratic principles when they’re pushed to the limit, the film asks us to consider how in a free society we confront people whose views we find abhorrent.

Leith, a 90 minute drive from the nearest city (Bismarck) is home to around 20 people, mostly farmers and ranchers living on a prairie backdrop of sky and wheat. In 2012, an outsider moved in and started buying up property. Residents initially welcomed him, figuring he’d moved to be closer to the oil fields, but Craig Cobb had other motives. Posting on white nationalist forums that he’d found the perfect place to start an all-white enclave, Cobb implored other white supremacists to move to Leith and help take over the town’s government.

Meanwhile, far from the prairies of North Dakota, Ryan Lenz, an investigator from Montgomery, Alabama’s Southern Poverty Law Center, discovers Cobb’s posts and informs Leith’s mayor, Ryan Schock. Schock, a young rancher and family man who has lived in Leith all his life, is stunned by the news — and the ensuing media firestorm as tensions in Leith threaten to boil over into violence.

As the community rallies to save their town from strangers intent on taking it over,Welcome to Leith details the clash between the locals and Craig Cobb’s band of white supremacists as they challenge his vision for the future of the place they call home.
Source: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/welcome-to-leith/

he hasn't started anything shit since he moved. He hung a sign on the side of his house that said no Jew spooks in the sky but that's it.
He's on probation until 2018

Sounds like a fun place to visit.
Apart from the gun toting maniacs and so on.

What if they let you play with their guns? I bet you'd think it's even more fun, then.

just going by the cliffs I would say this guy should find a town with 0 people before trying to start an all white racist ass community.

I may watch this later and have a different opinion

What if they let you play with their guns? I bet you'd think it's even more fun, then.
I just wonder if they were not trying to get away from the gun toting maniacs, by becoming that themselves?

he hasn't started anything shit since he moved. He hung a sign on the side of his house that said no Jew spooks in the sky but that's it.
He's on probation until 2018
Wonder if he meant Black Jews only. White Jews and Black Christians/Muslims welcome!

lol never mind, I just Googled him and found out it's the same guy as in the OP

None of them are still in Leith. I don't know where the other douche is but Cobb is in a different town.
When it happened there was 10 or so people living there and one guy was black and in interviews he mocked Craig brilliantly.
All the houses the dipshits lived in got condemned and they burnt them down.

None of them are still in Leith. I don't know where the other douche is but Cobb is in a different town.
When it happened there was 10 or so people living there and one guy was black and in interviews he mocked Craig brilliantly.
All the houses the dipshits lived in got condemned and they burnt them down.
I was only joking.
I remember seeing some bit on it from the BBC a while ago.
If some white guys decide to start an utopia, I don't think it is a great thing to become all militant about it.

Wonder if he meant Black Jews only. White Jews and Black Christians/Muslims welcome!
Who knows, the guy is a few cards short of a deck.
He petitioned to get his probation moved to Kansas but they denied it so they could keep an eye on him.

And mr White national drives a Toyota.

The fact this guy is so famous for nothing more than being a racist with a few friends goes to show how little supply there is relative to the demand for legitimate white racists these days.

He doesn't kill people. He doesn't bomb buildings. He's not an important big shot whose decisions affect large numbers of people. He's a random idiot that says mean words that only have the power to spur a handful of people to action. Yet he's famous.

That's heartening.

The fact this guy is so famous for nothing more than being a racist with a few friends goes to show how little supply there is relative to the demand for legitimate white racists these days.

He doesn't kill people. He doesn't bomb buildings. He's not an important big shot whose decisions affect large numbers of people. He's a random idiot that says mean words that only have the power to spur a handful of people to action. Yet he's famous.

That's heartening.

He's good at provoking people and pushing their buttons all within the confines of the law. Sounds like the GOP front runner.

He's good at provoking people and pushing their buttons all within the confines of the law. Sounds like the GOP front runner.

It's also an illustration of how Trump isn't a racist. As you pointed out, there are similarities in method between this guy and Trump. The difference is content: this guy's a racist, Trump isn't, otherwise it stands to reason that this guy, a racist with Trumpian tactics, would also be very popular, which he's not.

It's also an illustration of how Trump isn't a racist. As you pointed out, there are similarities in method between this guy and Trump. The difference is content: this guy's a racist, Trump isn't, otherwise it stands to reason that this guy, a racist with Trumpian tactics, would also be very popular, which he's not.

Trump seems like a shape shifter to me. Is he racist? Maybe. But I don't think racism defines who he is like with Cobb.

What's your threshold of acceptable racism? Because even if I could be convinced that casual racism is nothing for people to complain about, I could not be convinced to draw the line to include a man who is an active proponent of racist policies and once tried to take over a town to convert it to a white utopia.

What's your threshold of acceptable racism? Because even if I could be convinced that casual racism is nothing for people to complain about, I could not be convinced to draw the line to include a man who is an active proponent of racist policies and once tried to take over a town to convert it to a white utopia.

You misread my post if you inferred anything supporting that from it.

What I am saying is this: Imagine a deeply racist society, which is what the BLM race-baiters say America is. OK. Racists everywhere. Racism is the norm. In such a climate, would a guy like Cobb be newsworthy? Or would he just be Mr. Cobb from 7 Washington Street, a nameless, faceless racist among millions of other racists?

Cobb is famous because he's exceptional--in a bad way. His views are repugnant to 99.xx% of Americans because 99.xx% of Americans are not racist and Cobb is.

That's heartening.
A total under-achiever

Back