Serious Movie Discussion XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is strong story telling in OGF, idk why we keep going back to this. You simpletons can't seem to grasp a film maker doesn't have to follow the build-conflict-climax, transparent narratives most films go by to have a strong story. Where does the story trying to be told falter in complexity or point? Are you gonna give me some duntz answer like Caveat with the "need more Bangkok, need protagonist I can cheer for" retort? This is nonsensical. Like what you want, but your criticisms are off base. Period.

What you're asking makes no sense. Refn presents two themes (neither of which you understood before I pointed them out), and now the film is still shit unless I tell you what he offers through them? What does that even mean......

OK so based off what you are saying, like him and the film or not, Refn and OGF are most certainly 'daring' lol its funny you can't even see that though.

Christ almighty...

Ok let me put it like this...

You went with:

You've never felt like you've been dealt a hand that you want to get out of but can't find a way to? You've never loved your parents and felt they wanted something from you and you felt obliged to do it cause they are your parents, even if you know its wrong?

What is Refn's perspective of these themes beyond "it's bad/sad"? What do i gain by watching Refn tell it that everyone doesn't already know?

It's just join the pity-party, and be dazzled by colors and slow pans.

Here's the measure of its effectiveness: I've never found myself in this situation and this movie didn't affect my empathy toward it.

Here's why you're annoying me:

You're the one believing this is more intelligent. What's more intelligent about saying nothing beyond what we already know? What's intelligent about not even making the attempt to.

And no, its not 'daring' to try to write compelling dialogue. Daring by definition is taking risks. You're not taking risks by trying to write compelling dialogue lol

It is much more daring to subject yourself to criticism than to hide behind the chaos inherent in the abstract.

Christ almighty...

Ok let me put it like this...

You went with:

What is Refn's perspective of these themes beyond "it's bad/sad"? What do i gain by watching Refn tell it that everyone doesn't already know?

It's just join the pity-party, and be dazzled by colors and slow pans.

Here's the measure of its effectiveness: I've never found myself in this situation and this movie didn't affect my empathy toward it.

Here's why you're annoying me:

You're the one believing this is more intelligent. What's more intelligent about saying nothing beyond what we already know? What's intelligent about not even making the attempt to.

It is much more daring to subject yourself to criticism than to hide behind the chaos inherent in the abstract.
You gain nothing, obviously. You weren't even able recognize these themes in the film, so how could you gain anything from them?

Talking to you is a joke man, i'm done. You literally say "whats more intelligent about saying nothing beyond what we already know?" yet you weren't able to recognize two centrical themes til I pointed them out to you......

And saying you're subjecting yourself to criticism more by trying to write compelling dialogue instead of story telling like Refn? Yeah, ok.

You gain nothing, obviously. You weren't even able recognize these themes in the film, so how could you gain anything from them?

Talking to you is a joke man, i'm done. You literally say "whats more intelligent about saying nothing beyond what we already know?" yet you weren't able to recognize two centrical themes til I pointed them out to you......

And saying you're subjecting yourself to criticism more by trying to write compelling dialogue instead of story telling like Refn? Yeah, ok.

You aren't answering me because you can't come up with one.

What is Refn's insight? It's an easy fucking question and you repeatedly dodge it.

Simply having a theme is not the same as having anything to say about it.

You aren't answering me because you can't come up with one.

What is Refn's insight? It's an easy fucking question and you repeatedly dodge it.

Simply having a theme is not the same as having anything to say about it.
The themes bring insight through personal interpretation. Fool, this is art, and it's art at its most subjective. You couldn't even recognize the themes before I told you, you have said so much dumb shit it has me annoyed and confused, so enjoy that response cause it's your last.

The themes bring insight through personal interpretation. Fool, this is art, and it's art at its most subjective. You couldn't even recognize the themes before I told you, you have said so much dumb shit it has me annoyed and confused, so enjoy that response cause it's your last.

You didn't point shit out, btw. You gave us the author of the dude you read up on when you didn't get it, then you literally said "uhh what Ricky said."

I didn't "get it" because it was too fucking boring to read into. You actually love the movie though, yet can't talk about it when pressed.

I've been working off your (really Ricky's) interpretation. Never mind the fact that it's "personal interpretation" rendering your themes entirely subjective and not necessary for me to "get" in the first place.

And you're still not answering the question...or was that an admission that Refn said NOTHING about the themes? Strengthens my gripe that art house directors tend to not have the guts to take a stand.

As i originally pointed out pages back. I've been left with "uhhh...art"

Last edited:
You didn't point shit out, btw. You gave us the author of the dude you read up on when you didn't get it, then you literally said "uhh what Ricky said."

I didn't "get it" because it was too fucking boring to read into. You actually love the movie though.

I've been working off your (really Ricky's) interpretation.

And you're still not answering the question...or was that an admission that Refn said NOTHING about the themes? Strengthens my gripe that art house directors tend to not have the guts to take a stand.

As i originally pointed out pages back. I've been left with "uhhh...art"
Oh please man. Do yourself a favor and be honest w yourself. In your initial post you said "it doesn't speak to any real world experience" until I clearly debunked that, so don't act like I revealed nothing to you. At least grow from this through recognizing the faults in your attempted points.

I obviously have a passion for Refn. Do you know how many discussions I've had about OGF at this point? But because I point people in the direction of An amazing video that shares all my viewpoints instead of typing giant posts, that's bad? Grow up. Not even gonna bother reading the rest of your post at this point

I didn't think the themes left a lot of room for subjectivity. They weren't exactly opaque.

But they were boring in themselves and in their execution. Drive's redemption story was exhilarating by comparison.

Oh please man. Do yourself a favor and be honest w yourself. In your initial post you said "it doesn't speak to any real world experience" until I clearly debunked that, so don't act like I revealed nothing to you. At least grow from this through recognizing the faults in your attempted points.

I obviously have a passion for Refn. Do you know how many discussions I've had about OGF at this point? But because I point people in the direction of An amazing video that shares all my viewpoints instead of typing giant posts, that's bad? Grow up. Not even gonna bother reading the rest of your post at this point

I said he has no commentary on his observations of the world and existence. And you haven't done shit to defend him. And you never will.

I didn't think the themes left a lot of room for subjectivity. They weren't exactly opaque.

But they were boring in themselves and in their execution. Drive's redemption story was exhilarating by comparison.
So because the themes are transparent they can't make people feel and/or think individually toward them?

I don't think so either, but this dude is saying that it's art at its most subjective, that it's about personal interpretation, and that one is an idiot for not getting his interpretation.

There's some insight right there. People who like Refn are some serious intellectuals...o_O

So because the themes are transparent they can't make people feel and/or think individually toward them?
They can think whatever they want, but that doesn't mean the gist of the thing isn't also there staring them in the face.

Or singing at them from the podium, or whatever. It's not a hotbed of controversy in that regard, imo.

I don't think so either, but this dude is saying that it's art at its most subjective, that it's about personal interpretation, and that one is an idiot for not getting his interpretation.

There's some insight right there. People who like Refn are some serious intellectuals...o_O
That's always true in some respect, I guess. But I didn't perceive a thematic complexity that would make it especially true in this case.

That's always true in some respect, I guess. But I didn't perceive a thematic complexity that would make it especially true in this case.

I'm merely pointing out the paradox of his position.

Guys I made ice cubes earlier while cooking quesadillas and now the frozen cubes taste like jalapeno, what do.

I'm so thirsty and not in the mood for this.

It's all over his Facebook page so I guess I'll post it here. We lost another friend recently.

@edco76 passed away recently. I know he used to post a lot in this thread so I wanted to post it here first.

It's all over his Facebook page so I guess I'll post it here. We lost another friend recently.

@edco76 passed away recently. I know he used to post a lot in this thread so I wanted to post it here first.

Cannot believe it... Horrible news, and so soon after HuntersCreed.

He was always a really easy-going guy in here and a consistent part of the gang who helped make this thread so great to me over the years.

8KXWJDh1-e1424824365763-718x405.jpg

Rest in peace, brother.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to help financially support @edco76 's family, you can donate here.

First I would like to say thank you to each and every individual who has reached out to our family during this difficult time. You guys do not know how much your love and support has meant to us. Unfortunately, Eddie's injuries have left him in a state in which he will not be able to sustain life without 24/7 medical support via a ventilator, tracheostomy, and feeding tube as he is paralyzed from the neck down. Today we were fortunate enough to be able to turn off all of the sedatives and have a discussion with Eddie regarding his wishes and whether he would want to live on life support. Eddie has decided that he would not want to live that way. Today we will be removing the ventilator and other support and administering medications to ensure that he is comfortable. Again, thanks to everyone for your support, love, and prayers. Please continue to pray for our family as we endure this very sad time.
On July 2nd, Eddie Cook was involved in a diving accident in which his spinal cord and cervical spine were injured. Unfortunately, Eddie's injuries have left him in a state in which he can not survive without the support of a ventilator and other medical equipment. Eddie and his family have decided to remove the ventilator and allow him to pass peacefully with his family at his side. Eddie has served the public for 9 years while working for Northstar Emergency Medical Services where he worked as a medic. He has dedicated his life to helping others and now it is our turn to help him! This fund will be used to help cover funeral expenses and any other expenses that Violet may need assistance with. Please donate whatever you can afford and continue to lift Eddie and his family up in your prayers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back