Hearts of Iron IV: World War II Grand Strategy (UPDATE March 2018 - New DLC)

It was a sad day gentlemen, we lost Europe. i got all the men out an brought them back to Britain and sending a massive force to NA to fuck up Italy

Dunkirk all over again. At least your navy is blowing the germans out of the water.

The Allies having complete domination over the sea helps a lot. The AI is stupid as fuck. The US and the Soviets could easily steam roll through Germany but I realized the AI tends to only send 1 or 2 infantry divisions to attack, no matter the force defending the area. I would have some weak ass Italian infantry division attack my position of 2 Armor divisions and 4 mechanized infantry divisions. At least the sheer number of Allied troops help hold a defensive line along the territory I conquer. The AI US did impress once though by encircling German forces I was having trouble punching through. It is 1947 now and we are creeping closer to Berlin.

Are tactical bombers better for supporting ground troops than the lighter CAS planes?

It seems like the level of AI necessary to convincingly play a 4x or grand strategy game is far beyond our current capabilities. I think we're gonna get photorealistic graphics before we get truly cunning enemies and allies.

It seems like the level of AI necessary to convincingly play a 4x or grand strategy game is far beyond our current capabilities. I think we're gonna get photorealistic graphics before we get truly cunning enemies and allies.

In the meantime it would be nice if you could "suggest" battle plans for allies. No specifics or micromanaging, just "hey, you should evaluate and send someone here." Hell, make it cost political points. I always have way more than I need at the end of the game anyway.

The Allies having complete domination over the sea helps a lot. The AI is stupid as fuck. The US and the Soviets could easily steam roll through Germany but I realized the AI tends to only send 1 or 2 infantry divisions to attack, no matter the force defending the area. I would have some weak ass Italian infantry division attack my position of 2 Armor divisions and 4 mechanized infantry divisions. At least the sheer number of Allied troops help hold a defensive line along the territory I conquer. The AI US did impress once though by encircling German forces I was having trouble punching through. It is 1947 now and we are creeping closer to Berlin.

Are tactical bombers better for supporting ground troops than the lighter CAS planes?

i have a line of typhoons that im gonna build here soon for carriers. heavy fighters are defintly good for coastle defense and raping ships

I've seen good reviews. I tried to play HOI2 back in the day, but I don't think i got the cracked version to work for me. Is this one pretty simplified compared to previous versions?

I've seen good reviews. I tried to play HOI2 back in the day, but I don't think i got the cracked version to work for me. Is this one pretty simplified compared to previous versions?

So far that seems to be the consensus from people who have played other versions. I didn't feel that intimidated coming in. Overall the systems and how they inter-operate is clear, it's just a matter of weeding out all of the detailed functionality from the UI. I think I was 40 hours in before I realized I had to assign ace pilots after they had been promoted.

ive never played a hoi game, and im honestly loving this game

By the way, is there a way to see what kind specific equipment an enemy unit has? I can see if they have light tanks and how many artillery batteries, but I was wondering if I could know exactly what tank they have, or what kind of fighters they have in the airspace, assuming I have the intel assets. I don’t want to be sending my early model fighters against ME-262s, and I want to know if they have ME-262s.

By the way, is there a way to see what kind specific equipment an enemy unit has? I can see if they have light tanks and how many artillery batteries, but I was wondering if I could know exactly what tank they have, or what kind of fighters they have in the airspace, assuming I have the intel assets. I don’t want to be sending my early model fighters against ME-262s, and I want to know if they have ME-262s.

you dont have a modernized air force? lmao wtf?

p-51s will be fine

you dont have a modernized air force? lmao wtf?

p-51s will be fine
Lol I do now but I didn’t when I first sent troops to Europe since I didn’t need to research planes much. I got jet fighters now lol. I still use older models just because I have so many in stockpile although I try to give them away via lend lease. I also had the issue with tanks as well; I wasn’t sure I was pitting my 1936 tanks against Tigers. Luckily I have the modern tank now but I want to know if I need to upgrade its capability if the enemy is using variations that can beat it.

Lol I do now but I didn’t when I first sent troops to Europe since I didn’t need to research planes much. I got jet fighters now lol. I still use older models just because I have so many in stockpile although I try to give them away via lend lease. I also had the issue with tanks as well; I wasn’t sure I was pitting my 1936 tanks against Tigers. Luckily I have the modern tank now but I want to know if I need to upgrade its capability if the enemy is using variations that can beat it.

ahaha ive kept the modernization fast and quick.

Yeah I noticed that too. The AI always launched weak invasion orders, and if they take the port then they start reinforcing. But as long as you can keep them from landing, they're pretty easy to deal with. Even when they do land, I tend to let them take a province or two, just so I can cut behind them and cut off the shore. Sometimes it works better than just suppressing them, because it stops them from reinforcing. Depends on the invasion force, reinforcement rate, etc.

Naw. They aren't particularly great at anything. But they can do CAS, Naval Strikes, Strategic Bombing, and Port Strikes, which makes them versatile and IMO great for a small nation that can't invest a lot in an air-force. But they aren't near as good as their specialized counter-parts. But with Spain, for instance, I found building those along with building fighters gave me a well-rounded enough air-force to support my ground forces, where most of my focus was, but also control the Iberian Coast, Mediterranean, etc.

I tend to specialize with nations that have a ton of factories, but if I go Australia or something then I'll use tact bombers and light fighters. I might spin up a game with Britain and see how far I can get with mostly focusing on my air force. Like, can you successfully invade Germany with just a handful of armored division and a ton of air support?

Figuring out that stuff is where all of the replay value and fun is for me. Well, or misery depending on how it goes. The first time I ever got the "game over" screen was heartbreaking. I let my people down.

I tend to specialize with nations that have a ton of factories, but if I go Australia or something then I'll use tact bombers and light fighters. I might spin up a game with Britain and see how far I can get with mostly focusing on my air force. Like, can you successfully invade Germany with just a handful of armored division and a ton of air support?

Figuring out that stuff is where all of the replay value and fun is for me. Well, or misery depending on how it goes. The first time I ever got the "game over" screen was heartbreaking. I let my people down.
Lol how did you lose? I never saw the end game yet since I just quit and started a new game if things got too bad. My Argentina game is going well as Germany has capitulated and Japan is on its way. The only thing that’s kind of weird is that the Allies and the Comintern are fighting (no cold war in my world) in Europe and fucking up my territorial gains. I’m got out of the Comintern and started my own faction, but whoever wins the fight in my territory ends up taking my territory.

I’m not sure if the game reflects that but I imagine Air Power alone can’t do a whole lot with 40s technology. I’m big on air power myself but they don’t seem to do as much damage as I would like.

On a side note, I designed my mechanized infantry divisions to be as similar as possible to the division I was in when I was in the Army. Not sure if it’s more effective game wise but it sure costs a lot of experience points.

Lol how did you lose?

Haha I've lost twice trying to take the communist side as Spain when the civil war breaks out. It's not impossible to do, but I've never been able to get The Soviet Union to send reinforcements. Meanwhile, Nationalist Spain keeps getting reinforced by Germany and Italy. Luckily it's only like an hour and a half of game-time, but that's still a good bit.

I never saw the end game yet since I just quit and started a new game if things got too bad. My Argentina game is going well as Germany has capitulated and Japan is on its way. The only thing that’s kind of weird is that the Allies and the Comintern are fighting (no cold war in my world) in Europe and fucking up my territorial gains. I’m got out of the Comintern and started my own faction, but whoever wins the fight in my territory ends up taking my territory.

That makes sense! I had a game where Germany (ally) was seemingly taking over provinces that I conquered without any explanation. Maybe someone was dropping paratroopers, the Germans iced them and I just wasn't paying attention.

I’m not sure if the game reflects that but I imagine Air Power alone can’t do a whole lot with 40s technology. I’m big on air power myself but they don’t seem to do as much damage as I would like.

On a side note, I designed my mechanized infantry divisions to be as similar as possible to the division I was in when I was in the Army. Not sure if it’s more effective game wise but it sure costs a lot of experience points.

What's the template look like?

What's the template look like?

I'm going off by memory, but my division had something like:
2 mechanized infantry brigades both consisting of 2 mech infantry and 1 tank battalion, and 1 artillery brigade. The game can't represent this but we also had a lot of different support units directly under division command. For example, we had two different recon assets but ingame you only have 1 recon company. In-game, I am not sure how effective designing a division based off real units is in-game. It costs more experience points to put a tank battalion under a infantry brigade, but maybe this is because WWII divisions didn't do this.

I finally finished my game. Argentina got all of South America except for some european territories, of carved up some territory in europe, africa, and asia. Wanted to have some footholds there for global power projection. Also made Germany and Vichy France into puppets.

Time for Fascist France and make France a major Axis power lol

Back