NCAA Wrestling

For some reason this college season has been kind of boring. For the first time ever Im more interested in freestyle to folk. Maybe the conference tournaments will snap me back in place.

Fix/Suriano should be great. Love that they decided to do it.
I think it's a symptom of the growing trend of lack of depth and massive disparity between the top and the bottom guys

You can make a legitimate argument the "middle class" programs and wrestlers are disappearing in folk style. It's either the elite schools with elite recruits (including high school) or the small budget programs getting first year sophomores in high school or struggling to pay for travel in college. It's part of why you're seeing so many more 3-4x champs in high school and college in the last ten years.

Now you can discuss all day why this is happening, club culture, over specialization, less and less coaches and refs, "softening" of today's youth, high schools recruiting their ass off then pretending they want to grow the sport, coaches and parents caring more about "winning" in youth and high school rather than the health and growth of the sport, and parent 'coaches' etc.

And this is being reflected in the lack of retention at all levels and the numbers being down the last few years.. to the point in a couple states cross country has better numbers in high school.

And finally what makes it hard to fix is that the people in their from the elite programs don't realize how bad it is for the lower programs. I didn't until I helped coach one of this early teams coming from very solid programs

I know it's a few months away but are you guys picking JB or Dake at the Open?

I still got JB. I think the cut on JB's head the Olympics really fucked up his timing and he wasn't able to get constant pressure and pour it on Gedeuv.

JB. Can't pick anyone over him at this point. Still think his Oly performance was nothing more than an anomaly.

Im going Dake. He has always wrestled JB tight and I think seeing him beaten that way at the olympics is going to make KD even more confident. Im also an unapologetic Cornell fan

Great match between Tommy Gantt from NCst and Boris Navochkov just now at the schultz. Check it out on the flo archive. Came down to a last second review.

Im going Dake. He has always wrestled JB tight and I think seeing him beaten that way at the olympics is going to make KD even more confident. Im also an unapologetic Cornell fan

Great match between Tommy Gantt from NCst and Boris Navochkov just now at the schultz. Check it out on the flo archive. Came down to a last second review.

Well not always.....

I don't know if a lot of people realize this but Big Ten Network posts a lot of wrestling matches especially the student U matches on their official YouTube channel, this year they posted bigger matches too like Penn State vs. Iowa

Match of the year candidate: Retherford vs. Sorenson

Hall vs. Meyer

Playlist of all the matches on the channel
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RRF9GtC9s1B-Y77LTY_DN_muSU87CP0

For some reason this college season has been kind of boring. For the first time ever Im more interested in freestyle to folk. Maybe the conference tournaments will snap me back in place.

Fix/Suriano should be great. Love that they decided to do it.

My take...this season has been predictable. Gilman is still king of 125 with Suriano and Dance right behind him. Tomasello rules 133 but Clark and Brock are a step behind. Heil is on top at 141 but there are a bunch of guys nipping at his heels. Etc. Etc. Etc. There have been no real shockers. There hasn't been a Dean over Ruth type shocker that builds up the anticipation. Looking big picture, I think most wrestling fans are most excited by the prospect of Dean/Nickal, Snyder/Medbery, and BoJo/Valencia. Outside of those big 3 matches, there really aren't any other matches that have people on the edge of their seats in anticipation.

My $.02.

Absolutely idiotic that this duel starts at 6 tonight

Didn't know think I was going to watch the duel last night because I had plans after work but the bar we were at actually had the match on.

After the Retherford dual they tried to change the chsnn6but apparently there were like 30 PSU fans who started booing so they kept it on.

Surprised by the Retherford v Jordan match; I figured it would be a regular decision. Was thinking, "Jordan gets a takedown here and he could avoid the major"...then Retherford gets a takedown, turn and ends up with a tech fall. lol

Penn St v Okie St prediction:
125 - PSU 3, OSU 0
133- PSU 3, OSU 5 (could be 6)
141 - PSU 3, OSU 8
149 - PSU 6, OSU 8
157 - PSU 11, OSU 8 (19 out of 20 times, bonus points for PSU)
165- PSU 14, OSU 8 (swing match)
174 - PSU 17, OSU 11
184 - PSU 21, OSU 11
197- PSU 21, OSU 14
HWT - PSU 25, OSU 14

Wouldn't be surprised if Penn St wins at 197. Or gets techs/pins from their big 3 - 149, 157 & 184. Only match I really see swinging in Okie St's favor is 165. Also keeping Hwt to a regular decision.

Last edited:
Surprised by the Retherford v Jordan match; I figured it would be a regular decision. Was thinking, "Jordan gets a takedown here and he could avoid the major"...then Retherford gets a takedown, turn and ends up with a tech fall. lol

Penn St v Okie St prediction:
125 - PSU 3, OSU 0
133- PSU 3, OSU 5 (could be 6)
141 - PSU 3, OSU 8
149 - PSU 6, OSU 8
157 - PSU 11, OSU 8 (19 out of 20 times, bonus points for PSU)
165- PSU 14, OSU 8 (swing match)
174 - PSU 14, OSU 11 (I think Crutchmer's strength & size will be too much...but I could see Hall hitting half a dozen ducks on him & winning...)
184 - PSU 18, OSU 11
197- PSU 18, OSU 14
HWT - PSU 22, OSU 14

Wouldn't be surprised if Penn St wins at 174 or 197. Or gets techs/pins from their big 3 - 149, 157 & 184. Only match I really see swinging in Okie St's favor is 165. Also keeping Hwt to a regular decision.

You do realize Hall almost majored Crutchmer at the Scuffle right? 10-3

Just caught the replay of Lizak and Gilman.

Lizak goes up 8-0 in the first off a TD and two tilts, rides Gilman for like 1:45 in the 2nd after taking top before getting reversed at the end of the period.

He's up 8-2 with almost 4 minutes of riding time going into the 3rd and Gilman takes neutral and hits 3 TDs so easy it looked like they were drilling before tossing Lizak too his back for the pin.

Lizak burned himself out. Everyone knows he a monster on top but damn...

Just purchased my plane ticket to STL a few days ago for NCAA. This will be my first! How many of you sherdoggers are going to be there?

Back