How effective is the jab or leg kicks/knees in real fight?

How effective is the cross in a street fight? I'm just wondering. It seems like straight punches could be very effective with bare fists. Plus getting punched in the nose is a horrible feeling even with gloves on.
As for leg kicks, it fucking hurts to get kicked in the leg if you aren't trained and aren't ready for it.

Unless you're getting some balls, its a waste. I've actually had folks kick/knee me in the groin and it didn't stop me because it wasn't a clean hit. In fact--I've never had it successfully done where it stopped me.

Take it from me: YOU ARE LUCKY!!!!!!!!!

i mentioned this on the 1st page...teep to the knee or thigh. youre not putting yourself at much risk from a TD in this situation and a windmilling, charging douchebag is most likely not gonna see that teep coming down below. once he's off balance, flurry with the hands or clinch or whatever youre gonna do...

or flurry a simple 1, 2 and then low kick. i do that in sparring and against guys my level (6-12 mos of MT) or below, it lands quite frequently. i tend to look between the collarbones when i spar, but some untrained guy on the street is probably looking at your eyes so throw the hands to distract and then kick low. they most likely will not see that kick coming.

in my experience if u can pull it off on a trained person, u can and will against an untrained person; if the situation gives you the opportunity. In the case of the techniques i mentioned i used, i did so successfully against trained and untrained people. The lead right was esp effective against non trained guys, but i pulled it off against trained guys in fights too.

Didn't understand your post tbh well not how it relates to mine anyway

How effective is the cross in a street fight? I'm just wondering.
It's very effective. It's my go to punch, I've dropped quite a few with it and many times the only shot I ever needed to throw. I hardly ever lead with it in boxing but in a street fight when you have one shot to preemptively strike with then it's perfect for that.

That's simple too. But it rarely happens cleanly since all it takes is a guy slightly moving back to make it ineffective.

Unless you're getting some balls, its a waste. I've actually had folks kick/knee me in the groin and it didn't stop me because it wasn't a clean hit. In fact--I've never had it successfully done where it stopped me.

I've only ever kicked someone in the nuts accidentally but one technique that I saw in a RBD video by Lee Morrison was to throw a rising kick toward the groin a bit like a rising knee but with your foot and shin out so that you maximise the chances of catching his nads. It's a low power ugly looking technique because of the mechanics but it looks guaranteed to make contact with his testicles. Very fast and simple too. It's literally just like raising your knee up sharply.

I wouldn't rely on it as a fight stopper but certainly if they react their head normally comes down and their body bends over. Perfect for following up with a knee to the head or a takedown.

They're fucking effective... esp against the fool who doesn't know how to strike and close the distance.

Yeah, if you dont know how to kick.

If youre a good kicker, and youve been doing it your whole life, there's no reason you shouldnt be able to do it in a street fight, at all.
Just don't kick high if you're wearing jeans though.

Against someone who never fought before, and assuming you know how to throw a real jab, the fight could be over right there.

But assuming you're opponent isn't some kinda pussy, the jab is a jab. It's pretty weak. Now a knee or leg kick could be a fight ender. A good knee to the body could KO someone. Not sleep them but it would incapacitate them for sure. They'd be on the ground gasping for air while you take their girl.

A good leg kick can do the same. They can't even stand up straight let alone trying to fight you. That's why in a fight, I always throw some kinda lame hand technique to distract them then throw a mean leg kick. Especially if they're untrained, they won't know how to defend it. Sooner or later they will start fishing for your kick with their hands down, then show them the Holly-Rousey head kick.

Just don't kick high if you're wearing jeans though.
You mean skinny jeans. I wear nothing but jeans but I would have no problem head kicking. It's funny seeing some people in those skinny jeans. Some people have big ass thighs and still wear tight ass jeans.

Kind of a silly question. If you have the experience, you can literally beat someone up by just jabbing them in the face while they try to throw their windmill haymakers.
A lot of people that are new to martial arts seem to have a hard time understanding how this could actually be. How could someone destroy an aggressor who's spamming power shot after power shot by just throwing a simple lead punch straight into their face?

Going back on the knee. It's probably not a good idea to clinch and knee MT style. Someone on here talked about their altercation a few years back. I'll try to sum it up. Basically he's a bouncer who trains MT. He clinched a guy and was kneeing him to death until that guy pulled a knife out of thin air and stabbed the Sherbro bouncer.

Luckily the Sherbro Bouncer survived and was able to tell us the story. But he is forever disabled or something. Muay Thai Plum Clinch or whatever is bad in a street fight because you can't see wtf they're doing with their hands and could easily pull a gun or knife on you.

It's best to stay far away instead of in-fighting.

Hey guys was just wondering a quick question. I just train boxing and kickboxing for exercise and fun but I of course train to help with self defense to. Now I'm not posting some stupid thread asking about how to fight against people with knifes/guns/ etc, and I know the best thing to do is run away. But if I was put in a position where I had to fight, how effective is a jab, and/or leg kicks/knees in a street fight?

Because in street fights it's usually a minute or so of just heavy power punches, and if I was attacked by an untrained person and he's obviously going to be coming at me with his home run overhand right, would it smarter to jab and move or just get in there and throw my power shots as well.

If anyone here has seen any fights that the jab or leg kicks/knees has helped, or just if they think it is most definitely worth it then please let me know.

Thanks
A gloveless stiff jab would pretty much be all you need against an untrained opponent, especially if he's shorter. A single jab would shatter his nose, follow-ups will have him coiling on the ground in pain. As for leg kicks; I imagine they'd be a good first attack. Some people might expect a jab-cross or sneaky overhand from the rear pocket if you square up and lean back. However, a heavy leg kick will take his base out, which usually remains closest to you. Then, GnP the dude.
However, def establish teh jab. Best strike in all martial arts imo.

Love this thread...there's a post of me from when I was relatively new to MT haha. RIP to all the Sherbros along the way who didn't make it this far.

Kind of a silly question. If you have the experience, you can literally beat someone up by just jabbing them in the face while they try to throw their windmill haymakers.
A lot of people that are new to martial arts seem to have a hard time understanding how this could actually be. How could someone destroy an aggressor who's spamming power shot after power shot by just throwing a simple lead punch straight into their face?

Everyone has a plan to windmill, until they get jabbed in the face.

Maybe show them this jab if they don't think it can be an effective punch...:eek::eek::eek:

Going back on the knee. It's probably not a good idea to clinch and knee MT style. Someone on here talked about their altercation a few years back. I'll try to sum it up. Basically he's a bouncer who trains MT. He clinched a guy and was kneeing him to death until that guy pulled a knife out of thin air and stabbed the Sherbro bouncer.

Luckily the Sherbro Bouncer survived and was able to tell us the story. But he is forever disabled or something. Muay Thai Plum Clinch or whatever is bad in a street fight because you can't see wtf they're doing with their hands and could easily pull a gun or knife on you.

It's best to stay far away instead of in-fighting.
I had something like this happen to me but it was because I wrapped the guy up in guillotine. Before I could really fully apply it I noticed the guy fishing in his pocket for something. Luckily it only turned out to be some keys and not a knife. Needless to say I let go of the choke really quickly and switched to striking him.

It's exactly in this manner that the jab was invented in the first place.

In a street fight clinching is allowed. If you throw jab, it may or may not be caught. Once and if it does get caught, you will end up throwing power shots with the rear anyways.

You mean thrown starting at the hip like TMAs do when in horse stance.

Sort of, it doesn't need to be from the hip. But a jab from the lower position. If you change elevation even by a few inches, your jab comes from beneath. Which is an advantageous angle.

A gloveless stiff jab would pretty much be all you need against an untrained opponent, especially if he's shorter. A single jab would shatter his nose, follow-ups will have him coiling on the ground in pain. As for leg kicks; I imagine they'd be a good first attack. Some people might expect a jab-cross or sneaky overhand from the rear pocket if you square up and lean back. However, a heavy leg kick will take his base out, which usually remains closest to you. Then, GnP the dude.
However, def establish teh jab. Best strike in all martial arts imo.
Leg kick works, a teammate of mine was on the bus a few years back with his kid, and some random was harassing everyone, they stepped out, and 1 leg kick put him out. Didn't even have to follow up with gnp or anything, dude gave up but still tried to act tough limping away.

Judo is the most effective art for streetfighting.

Someone who knows only judo will get spectacularly one shot ktfo by anyone of similar or greater weight with basic boxing.

If you want to grapple on the street, which is not a good idea, shooting is much safer than mummy walking forward with your chin in the air. Might not be good for your knees though.

Someone who knows only judo will get spectacularly one shot ktfo by anyone of similar or greater weight with basic boxing.

If you want to grapple on the street, which is not a good idea, shooting is much safer than mummy walking forward with your chin in the air. Might not be good for your knees though.

Judo also only lets you grab sleeve, and lapel, no cross gripping. So it is quite limited in offensive capability. They did recently tweak the gripping rules a bit, but is too late. You may as well learn Sambo.

Back