Is Jones the only A level athlete in MMA?

Jumping is just one quantifiable way to measure athletism, otherwise, high jumpers would be ruling the roost in sport. For the grappling arts, core strength is more valued than ability to run fast or jump high. In football, quickness and speed don't mean the same things, the athletiscm for a lineman is different to, that of a wide receiver. And as much as I loathe Jones, he may not be NFL athletic, but he is optimally athletic for MMA.
Athletic is athletic running and jumping are a good gauge of general athleticism because they involve full body force production including core. When you jump and run you use a lot of core for power generation and stability

idk, when i was a kid being a good athlete meant you excelled in sports. those were athletes.
Where'd you go to school btw, USA?

That is what I thought too, I think most people do. But imagine you are in Michael Phelps class; he is the goofiest dude, unable to make any sports team, has a wicked long Torso, short legs, long at,s and big feet. Years later, it turns out tho he was a horrible athlete on land, it tuned out he was an unstoppable athlete in the water........possibly the best athlete of all time, if we go by medals.

Athletic is athletic running and jumping are a good gauge of general athleticism because they involve full body force production including core. When you jump and run you use a lot of core for power generation and stability
That's true but also look at Jon Jones: can't run or jump to save his life but has inner core strength that is absolutely absurd.

The 6'4 guy who cant dunk is an a level athlete?

Im 5'8 and i can get above the rim.

<DisgustingHHH>

Exactly, athletic is generally used to refer to jumping, running, fast twitch type stuff but I'm just saying there are all types of athletiscm. Athletiscm is just ones ability to get their body to move in a way they desire. Jumping athletiscm is not applicable swimming athletiscm, just like core strength athletiscm is not applicable to running athletiscm.

I think in America especially, we think running/jumping athletiscm because that is what is used in our most popular sports (football and basketball..baseball to an extent to). There must be something said tho for the marathoner athlete, he who can't sprint fast but can go longer: the difference between a Yoel Romero and a Nick Diaz.

Fighting is so fucking awesome because we see two totally opposing athletes get to go head to head and to see what type of "athletiscm" wins out......which thus brings me to my final point in that the most sensible way to judge athletiscm is by who can kick the other one's ass. Running, jumping in all this other stuff really doesn't help if the shit hit the fan, as sports were originally invented to burn off that competetive spirit amongst men, so they could settle disputes and whatnot without killing each other; much like how wolf and bear cubs will playfully grapple to determine where they sit in the pecking order, so they can not only Sharon their fighting skills for later but also come to a hierarchical understanding without killing off it's own kind.
I cant fault your athleticism argument its perfectly logical even if its not the way we normally speak and not the usual idea we share in conversation.

Yea fighting, running throwing, swimming, types sports seem to be the most "pure" because they are activities that predate our species even throwing. Golf and soccer is less animal less natural, less at the root of who and what we are.We dont have instincts to kick a ball around we do have instincts to beat each other up or run from danger.

But since its about competitiveness and winning, dominating other men, you make a great point, who really wins a race if one guy is good at sprinting and one at long distance, they both win their own event, but a fight is many natural attributes tested against another mans to see who is best, thats a really good decider of who is the better man physically. Also its a more pure expression of the instinct to dominate and win over another man, running is for when you are scared or chasing something its not what you do when you want to dominate another man.

2 Komodo dragons wrestling

2 Goats headbutting

Now thats as pure as "sport" can get, it predates sport and is just the natural instinct of male on male domination to get the female.

What is this thread.

If you are able to impose your will on another man who cares if you're an A level or D level athlete. Fighting is the most primal thing there is.

Jon is not very explosive. That's certainly not what sets him apart as a fighter.

Would it be fair to say many sherdoggers can probably run faster and jump higher than Bones Jones I certainly believe I can, I bet out of a class of 30 kids at school Jones wasnt number 1 or the fastest! I bet he was number 4/30

I think we get some kind of mental blindness when someone is famous about how good they are.

I saw a video of Mc Greggor doing plyo jumps and they were like any Joe bloggs can do.

Same goes for strength and how much weight these guys can lift I be Mc Greggor would be out lifted in the bench pres or squat by many average gym goers or many ppl on here

Last edited:
Wrestling in the Olympics is the equivalent of being a professional wrestler (Rick Flair and company excluded). It is the highest stage of competition for the sport. Judo is the exact same way. It would be foolish to call the men and women who compete in those sports "amateurs."

I believe that every single fighter for the UFC who was an Olympian competed in either freestyle, Greco Roman, or Judo. We can safely call them professional athletes.
OK, I'm not into wrestling so i wouldn't know. Good to know.

All amateur means is u are not getting paid directly to compete.. u think usain bolt is not a good athlete???
That's not what it means. You are a professional if you can make a living of your sport and don't have to work side jobs to get by. If not, you're an amateur. Usain Bolt was definitely professional therefore...

Or is he sub A level, or even B level. We all know he dominates and is levels above everyone else. His brother arthur was a good defensive tackle in his prime. And his other bro chandler is a beast A level freak athlete pass rusher.

Jones obviously was too skinny for football and is the least athletic brother yet he dominates MMA and is a specimen. If sub a level jones who might even be B level or even C level is tearing through the sport it shows there are no a level athletes in MMA.

Mma basically has poverty D level athletes with jones being the exception.

EDIT:jones might be C level
2gt3g5v_jpg.gif
To be fair, I'm 6ft 1in with a 38in vert(played ball all my life) and I wouldn't be able to dunk that. Al Horford set Jon up BAD lmao. FINAL VERDICT: B LEVEL ATHLETE

There are so many different ways to be effective in the fighting game. There isn't one type of athleticism that reigns over others.

Jones is definitely A level suited for MMA.

How many footballers can win a marathon? How many basketball players can do a backflip? How many 1500m world champions can dunk one handed?

What the Fuck is an A level athlete?
I'm not arguing against you, but I went to HS with a 1500m Olympian who could easily dunk. And Ozzie Smith used to always do handsprings and shit.

Answers like this always baffles me... How does being an olympian means you are a great athlete???? Is DC a great athlete?

No he isn't, he's an absolutely terrible "athlete"
How does being an olympian means you are a great athlete???

huh????

seriously?

How does being an olympian means you are a great athlete???

Where'd you go to school btw, USA?

That is what I thought too, I think most people do. But imagine you are in Michael Phelps class; he is the goofiest dude, unable to make any sports team, has a wicked long Torso, short legs, long at,s and big feet. Years later, it turns out tho he was a horrible athlete on land, it tuned out he was an unstoppable athlete in the water........possibly the best athlete of all time, if we go by medals.

yes, new york.

and agree but again that's the perfect example of why using athleticism as a narrow definition of track and field stats is dumb. athleticism manifests itself in different ways in different sports. tiger too on the athleticism spectrum prob doesn't rank with other "athletes". or messi. etc. but they have something special. jon jones has something special.

Not at wrestling.

I don't understand why there's any question whether or not a dominant professional athlete is "A" level in their respective sport.

The concept of high level athlete needs to be broken down so much more carefully that it often does. As an example of how multifaceted the concept is, look at MLB. In that sport, the biggest stars are A+ level in terms of the exact abilities that baseball demands of them. Hitting a baseball at 90 mph hard enough to slam it out of a baseball diamond is a type of skill that if you have it can set you on track to being an A level baseball athlete and if you don't have it than you won't be able to get there even if you dedicated your life to it and your soul depended on it. And in turn when it comes to the types of athleticism football measures, some of baseball's biggest stars would be mediocre at best.

When it comes to MMA, an A level athlete refers to athletes who have the right taylor made abilities; it works the same way. That includes the ability to withstand the physical rigors of intensive wrestling for repeated sessions with each session lasting several minutes. Many of the best of the best in football, basketball and baseball would crumple to the floor trying to do that. Some of the NFL's best players likely skipped out on even being varsity wrestlers in high school due to it asking too much of them physically. In some ways Daniel Cormier comes off, at least to some critics here, as a rather unimpressive athlete but in grappling he has the physical ability to do things some the NBA, NFL and MLB's biggest standouts would cringe at the thought of.

Jon Jones is an A+ athlete in MAM because every single thing about him, from body type to mental abilities to specific athletic traits, is as perfectly taylor made as can be for success in this arena. Really, we've never seen a professional fighter as aptly suited for this sport as Jones. And if a segment of NFL stars were to try and cross over, we still can't presume that any of them would be as perfectly taylor made for MMA as Jones is.

The 6'4 guy who cant dunk is an a level athlete?

Im 5'8 and i can get above the rim.

<DisgustingHHH>

He was trying to do it with one step from the foul line.
He can easily dunk.

Don't kid yourself. Jones would beat you in a friendly game of 1 on 1.

Back