No Homework rule at my kid's school

No homework can work, but the in-class work has to be of the utmost quality and engagement. If the kids are bullshitting and not learning they are gonna be fucked the following year.

Eh.

I think the point of homework, beyond reinforcing the lessons taught in class, is to teach kids that what you do outside of school (And eventually work) can impact your performance.

I'd support kids not having homework K-8 though.

There was essentially no homework in elementary school when I was a kid. Very little in middle school too. I don't think it makes any significant difference in performance. But it seems to put unnecessary pressure on kids.

I wouldn't say it's unnecessary pressure. It preps you for college and also preps you for the real world when there's a deadline you have to meet at work with no wasted time.

When I was in HS we had 7 classes a day and they each wanted you to spend an hour on the material after school. Nope, was definitely not happening.

Yes - Square pizza on pizza day was the shit

square_cafeteria_pizza.jpg

That square pizza is in the shape of a rectangle.

And this why the asians are taking over.

Its why there killing themselves, added to that I think the real difference in things like Maths isn't homework but rather extra private classes outside of school, especially 1 to 1 tutors.

As a parent that would suck for me. homework is a little break in the evening for parents from having to entertain their kids.

My son is 2 and my wife is 7 months pregnant with out daughter. Guess we'll see in about 5 years what will be in store for my kids.
Hate to be the one to tell you, but homework for kids means homework for parents until they're older. My wife and I do homework with our boys every night.

I had my own personal no homework rule. My grammar sucks and it would've probably sucked either way

Hate to be the one to tell you, but homework for kids means homework for parents until they're older. My wife and I do homework with our boys every night.
This. Homework is never break time if you care about your children.

Kids need to be assigned copious hours of homework every night, otherwise they might actually go outside and have hobbies.

Great, another thing for teachers to not do.

I'd rather my kid spent some time at home doing homework with me instead of ALL night filling his Pokedex. One hour of homework every night. Just something to reinforce what he learned at school that day. Plus it would keep me up on exactly what they're learning and help bonding.

I think I might be able to get behind this.

These kids have already spent 8 hours of their day having to be at school and learn shit. It's not unreasonable to let them have their nights to themselves.

The only required homework should probably be shit like required book reading in literature classes and having to study for their upcoming tests.
a good compromise would be no homework weekends, that's how my kids school has it setup. I think it's great that way. Weekdays, focus on school and learn responsibility, and the weekend is the weekend.

Its why there killing themselves, added to that I think the real difference in things like Maths isn't homework but rather extra private classes outside of school, especially 1 to 1 tutors.
Darwinism manifests in different forms. If they're weak, they'd kill themselves. If they get out alive, they'd be smart and iron-willed. And knows the difference between "there" and "they're".
<{1-9}>

Let me rephrase. Break for me. My wife can help them with their homework. She's going back to school to become a teacher after this upcoming maternity leave is over. This will be simple for her.

If they're given appropriate time in class to do their work and they teachers on are them then it should be okay.

Once you hit jr high and high school it is unavoidable if you want to do something with your life beyond crack and alcohol. You just gotta start learning that sometimes you take work home with you - whether it is a job or University/College.

Also, this mindset of not having kids be accountable for their behaviours nowadays is ridiculous - so much excuse making and babying for shit heads nowadays.

Homework in elementary school is fucking BS for the most part. Let them do extracurriculars and play the violin and shit like that. Encourage them to exercise when they get home, don't give them packets of bullshit that put them right back in a chair. You've got them for 6 or 7 hours, that is enough for that age group.

WOW

Kids across the land have started school this week.

My kid's elementary school just instituted a "no homework" policy.

Good idea or bad idea? Should schools give out homework (elementary, middle or high school):

YES - Homework reinforces the concepts that were introduced during the school day. This helps the kids understand the material better.

YES - Homework teaches time management skills.

YES - Homework creates independent and creative students that can work longer/shorter than the designated time given within the classroom.

NO - Homework is just busy work. Studies have shown it makes no significant difference in learning.

NO - I am sure a certain percentage of kids' parents do the homework for them anyway.

NO - Kids are already jam-packed with stuff to do after school from sports, to band, to scouts, to community service projects, etc.
Why do I see so many threads with distinctly political character being started in the Mayberry, lately?

Of course there should be homework - most kids today already lack too much in the discipline department because of their cuck fathers.

Once in a while they could be given a break to enjoy a weekend like Thanksgiving and shit like that, but 24/7??

<{clintugh}><{cruzshake}><{hughesimpress}>

I'm on board with this , particularly for elementary school. The average person spends their best years grinding away at work and with other obligations until they get too old , theres plenty of time for that. Let em be kids in my opinion .

Back