International Catalonia's Rebellion: 170,000 Spaniards in Madrid March Against Amnesty Plan for Catalan Secessionists

I'd give Catalan freedom fighters a few billion worth of weapons to fite 4 freedom.

So much for democracy right?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4937860/Riot-police-clash-voters-Catalonia.html

Hundreds of people have been injured in violent clashes as riot police shut down polling stations on the day of the controversial independence referendum in Catalonia.

Officers were seen stamping and kicking protesters as they stormed buildings and seized ballot boxes.

Footage captured in the village of Sarria de Ter in the province of Girona showed authorities using an axe to smash down the doors of a polling station where Catalan president Carles Puigdemont was due to cast his vote.

And in Barcelona, the region's capital, officers fired rubber bullets at thousands of protesters demonstrating against their votes being denied.

At least 460 people have been hurt in the clashes across Catalonia, the city's mayor said, while Spain's interior ministry said at least 11 police officers had been injured.

And tens of thousands of fans have been banned from attending FC Barcelona's football match with Las Palmas as part of a protest against the violence.

Spain's Constitutional Court has suspended the referendum and the central government says it is illegal.

But regional separatist leaders pledged to hold it anyway and called on the area's 5.3million eligible voters to show up to cast their ballots. [/quote[

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ice-clash-voters-Catalonia.html#ixzz4uHVUeAgi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

44E9662B00000578-4937860-Spanish_National_Police_prevents_people_from_entering_a_voting_s-a-55_1506847425759.jpg

44E958DF00000578-4937860-Spanish_Guardia_Civil_officers_smash_down_the_door_of_a_polling_-a-50_1506847425665.jpg

44EACBF900000578-4937860-image-a-78_1506855889789.jpg

From what I know its an unconstitutional referendum anyhow.

Spain must protect its sovereign interests

They could have just shot down the result and quelled a couple riots afterwards. It would have blown over for another 10 years.

Trying to physically prevent the vote from taking place is one of the dumbest most hamfisted things I've ever seen & wouldn't be surprised if independence becomes an inevitability now.

Spain must protect its sovereign interests
Spain is just trying to enforce its national borders but these extremist Catalonians want to rebel against Spanish nationalism. Sad!

Yes it is.

But this does not justify Spanish government acts :

Spanish government is making a huge mistake using force against people who wanted to vote.

Fine so it does not have legal effect. That does not give the government the right to bash people's heads in.

Madrid is reacting poorly, however the catalonians reasons for indepedency are mostly emotional

Spanish Police even beating up firemans who tried to protect the protesters.

Madrid is reacting poorly, however the catalonians reasons for indepedency are mostly emotional

Leftism is based entirely on emotion and that hasn't stopped a good chunk of western civilization from engaging in it.

Yes it is.

But this does not justify Spanish government acts :

Spanish government is making a huge mistake using force against people who wanted to vote.

Fine so it does not have legal effect. That does not give the government the right to bash people's heads in.
Fair enough I suppose.

How does that make their reasons less legitimate
Emotional reasoning is not the best basis for radical transformation of your society. Plus its unconstitutional.

How does that make their reasons less legitimate
Because feeling "special", "superior", or even "mistreated" are often not based on rational or logical reasons. If we followed that logic every little village should be allowed to become independent.

Fair enough I suppose.

Like @AviatorShades rightfully said, they could just have ignored/shut down the results afterwards, with legal weapons as it is unconstitutional.

But the fact that they used force on people, and in a very shocking way, is a mistake by the government. It’s all over the medias here in Europe, and this plays in favor of the Protestants more than anything.

This is not how you treat your people in a so called democracy.

They could have just shot down the result and quelled a couple riots afterwards. It would have blown over for another 10 years.

Trying to physically prevent the vote from taking place is one of the dumbest most hamfisted things I've ever seen & wouldn't be surprised if independence becomes an inevitability now.
I feel much the same way.

As an uninterested party, a seed farmer half a world away on the tail end of harvest, my honest to God gut reaction is this:

"Fuck it, let the Catalonians have Independence. If Spain is going to be such assholes about it, maybe they should have Independence."

Way to unify even more Catalonians and shore up outside support for Catalonia as an independent state, Madrid.

Back