Puerto Rico Only Receiving 200k Meals a Day for 2 Million People

KILL KILL

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This sounds rather awful.

Officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) say that the government and its partners are only providing 200,000 meals a day to meet the needs of more than 2 million people. That is a daily shortfall of between 1.8m and 5.8m meals.

“We are 1.8 million meals short,” said one senior Fema official. “That is why we need the urgency. And it’s not going away. We’re doing this much today, but it has to be sustained over several months.”

The scale of the food crisis dwarfs the more widely publicized challenges of restoring power and communications. More than a third of Puerto Ricans are still struggling to live without drinking water.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/11/puerto-rico-food-shortage-hurricane-maria

After 3 weeks, only 16% of Puerto Rico has electricity

Three weeks after Hurricane Maria made landfall, only 16 percent of Puerto Rico's residents have electricity, the Department of Defense said Wednesday.

But the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority said the number is more like 10 percent after an outage at one nuclear plant.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/16-percent-puerto-rico-power-weeks-hurricane-maria/story?id=50417366

What say you Sherdoggers? Is the response adequate or could we do more to help?

What say you Sherdoggers?

It still means the exactly what it meant last month: the inept Puerto Rican government, elected by their own citizens in free elections, is entirely foreign to the concept of disaster preparation and relief operations, despite living on an island in the middle of hurricane central.

Then again, the corrupted fucks were proven to be piss-poor at every thing else, despite the never-ending push for independence for decades before going bankrupt.

When the mega earthquake eventually hit California, I fully expect my City, County, and State governments to roll up their sleeves and get to work, instead of sitting on a mountain of federal aid while complaining about the feds "not sending anything".

FBI Looks Into Complaints of Puerto Rico's Local Government Corruption in Distribution of Relief Goods
By Joshua Philipp, The Epoch Times | October 10, 2017​
The FBI is looking into complaints that local government officials in Puerto Rico may have engaged in corruption while distributing U.S. relief goods after Hurricane Maria.

According to Carlos Osorio, the FBI media representative at the San Juan field office, the FBI has received several complaints of alleged corruption in the distribution of relief goods. The agency is required to look into criminal complaints.

“I can’t say how many complaints we’ve had that local officials are misappropriating supplies,” Osorio said.

“We’re looking into [the] complaints, as we do with any complaints that may have a criminal violation nexus.”
The U.S. government recently took over efforts in Puerto Rico to deliver relief goods including food, water, and medicine directly to those in need. On Oct. 8, U.S. troops began handing out the goods directly.

This was a break from protocol, in which typically the United States would bring the goods to regional staging areas and let local mayors distribute the goods from there. The Miami Herald reported this was done since some of the local mayors “stumble on the job.”
The role of San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz Soto in the relief efforts has been questioned.

Cruz made headlines for accusing President Donald Trump of not delivering relief to the island. It was soon shown, however, that not only was the Trump administration delivering large amounts of supplies, but in San Juan these supplies were sitting at the port under Cruz’s control and not being delivered.

There were close to 9,500 cargo containers of medicine, food, and other goods stuck at the port of San Juan on Sept. 28, according to CNBC.

Guaynabo Mayor Angel Perez Otero called out Cruz, saying the San Juan mayor was not joining meetings between the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), U.S. military officials, and Puerto Rican leaders.

“I’ve seen other mayors participating. She’s not,” Perez Otero told The Washington Examiner, adding, “We are receiving a lot of help from FEMA and the Red Cross. … There is lots of help coming to us.”

https://www.theepochtimes.com/fbi-i...-in-distribution-of-relief-goods_2330936.html

Last edited:
puerto rico can be swallowed by the ocean for all we care, we should sell them back to spain

The fact they have 16% electricity after this shit is actually amazing. This isn't God creating the earth. Shit takes time

There are thousands of containers containing food, water, medicine and living necessities sitting idle at San Juan's port, delivered by federal government and charities. The problem was never supply, but distribution.

I wonder how long until man develops the power to stop or reroute a hurricane.

It's not like sending linemen to patch up a transformer -- it requires a complete overhaul of a system that was barely functional before the hurricane (and as @Arkain2K mention, one that was left to fall apart by the government which owns the electrical company) this takes a bit of time AND more money than PR could ever be expected to return in tax revenues

There are thousands of containers containing food, water, medicine and living necessities sitting idle at San Juan's port, delivered by federal government and charities. The problem was never supply, but distribution.

Isn't that what the National Guard is for?

Isn't that what the National Guard is for?
So they should just drive boxes of food around the entire island in jeeps?

Maybe the military should just take over the entire island. MacArthur style

Piss on Puerto Rico. So they are owned by the US, big deal, so is most of the world. Probably haven't even invented boot straps to pull up themselves up with yet.

A friend told me that Puerto Rico is dependent on entitlements from the US. If true, that makes a disaster even tougher on them.

We're probably going to see mass relocation of Islanders to the mainland.

PRs future is going to be as a vacation spot only with few other industries.

PR prospered for a couple of decades because they were a legal tax haven under US laws but those laws sunset around 2008 and at the exact same time the economy collapsed.

So people that were there for tax reasons left and they got the recession at the same time. A double whammy.

At the same time the cost of living and median wages are higher than Mexico and every other country in the Carribean/Gulf.

Add on the Jones Act and the fact that they are USD denominated they are at a disadvantage when it comes to many industries. Mainland state's that have no niche market at least have proximity.

Now at the same time OR has a rather inept government in regards to tax policy and should have been working to establish some kind of market outside of being a tax shelter but they're really no. Worse than Mississippi or Louisiana when it comes to governance imo.

Anyway not sure what I even originally started rambling about.

But PR may have been on it's way to a slow death that was sped up. Most will go Florida, NY, PA, NJ.

So they should just drive boxes of food around the entire island in jeeps?

Maybe the military should just take over the entire island. MacArthur style

Yes and no.

Didn't the National Guard have a huge role in spreading resources after Katrina?

What entitlements?
I don't know.

Edit:

www.economist.com
Welfare in Puerto Rico. Public welfare in Puerto Rico is a system of nutrition assistance, public health, education, and subsidized public housing, among others, provided to the impoverished population of the island. It is mainly funded by United States Federal assistance and by local government funds.

I don't know.

Edit:

www.economist.com
Welfare in Puerto Rico. Public welfare in Puerto Rico is a system of nutrition assistance, public health, education, and subsidized public housing, among others, provided to the impoverished population of the island. It is mainly funded by United States Federal assistance and by local government funds.

It's from 2006 but still an interesting read.

The average IQ of Puerto Rice is 84, bless them.

Source?

I wouldn't be surprised the island probably has had a huge brain drane over the past decade. If you were a Puerto Rican who went to college in the mainland how likely are you to return?

Back