What is the most bad ass family dog I can have?

Mountain mastiffs.

They can live outside like its nothing, big strong yet like teddy bears.
Never seen these before, good looking mix. Probably a bit bigger than I'd like though.

Yeah, pit bulls are unpredictable because they were bred to have a vicious temperament. So you can train them to be great dogs. But they can also snap in an instant and kill everyone, which is why they are dangerous. But the fact is, all of the past breeding, to give them the necessary temperament to fight bears and other dogs, has resulted in unpredictability in the breed today, couples with a physicality that makes such unpredictability super dangerous. Don't listen to the idiots in this thread who probably never even passed a biology class in their life and have no idea how genetic drift works.

Agreed. While well-trained pitbulls are good with humans, their natural instincts make them prone to attacking smaller animals and kids they're not familiar with.

View attachment 290681

The Odle English Bulldogge is a tremendous breed. Loyal, strong, and much more athletic then the English Bulldog. They are also great watch dogs. I have a 6 month old grandson who visits frequently, and my male Bulldog is very gentle and loving with him. Also, just watching bulldogs do random dog stuff is funny.

Nice. I don't see bulldogs like these anymore.

Really? So, in your opinion aggression in pit bulls only comes from breeding. The environment they grow up in has no affect whatsoever. So, if a human (an animal with a higher IQ) who is raised in a violent environment and grows up to be violent, is only violent because of his genes? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

You can take an American Pit Bull (or Pit Bull mutt), German Sheppard, or Rottweiler and regardless of 'breeding' turn him into a violent or docile animal from birth. Breeding may help but is not the only 'ingredient' in what makes an animal violent or docile.

I've recued and worked with fighting Pit Bulls. Yes, these were the 'bred' types that attacked other dogs in a fight for their lives. Unfortunately there is illegal dog fighting here in Oklahoma. Yes, they were traumatized but with due time and therapy, they became very docile. Breeding did not have shit to do with it.

How do you think Soldiers and Marines learn to kill other human beings in war. Was that done through breeding also? No, that's usually done through training and discipline. Environmental factors.
You're applying human emotion and conditioning to animals just like every other idiot hippie that doesn't know shit about dogs.

Of course dogs can be ruined through trauma, but they're wired for specific jobs, which is what makes them so useful. The lab is going to love the water because of selective breeding. The sheep dog is going to naturally herd because of selective breeding. The American Pit Bull Terrier is going to love to fight because of selective breeding.

It's funny you brought up German Shepard Dogs. That's a breed thats been absolutely ruined because of hippies that don't know shit about dogs. They're a shell of their former self. The only place to still get a good GSD is Europe, and you're going to spend several grand. The American dogs are fucked.

What do you want the family to do or be responsible for?

What is your experience with dogs and are you willing to take it to some training?
We had 2 chihuahuas (gf's dogs) that she had raised from pup. Other than that I've never had a dog personally, but been around quite a few in my life. The chihuahuas were already adult dogs by the time she moved in with me, so I didn't get to train them much myself. Honestly I would prefer a dog that I could train myself rather than deal with schools. I am pretty good at researching and can be pretty strict so I don't see why I couldn't do it on my own. My girlfriend is a dog lover and that would be my biggest obstacle is her spoiling the dog when I'm not around or her being more lax with the training regime. She doesn't want a young puppy, because of the difficulty, but I insist that if we get a medium-large breed we need to start with a pup for the safety of our child and cat.

Bully breeds ain't shit. They're not that badass, they're deformed and can't move properly. A GSD would fuck their shit up and is way more intimidating to people.

We got 2 Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies and at 5 months old they're 65-70lbs. They're bred to be African farm dogs and lion hunting dogs and they'll get up to 120lbs. Not as smart as a GSD though.
Obviously this is subjective, but they are athletic, agile, compactly built and look pretty bad ass to me. I don't care that thugs glamorize these dogs or that the media makes them out to be evil, they ARE bad ass regardless.

Not a vaild argument as humans weren't bred for fighting
Really? So, in your opinion aggression in pit bulls only comes from breeding. The environment they grow up in has no affect whatsoever. So, if a human (an animal with a higher IQ) who is raised in a violent environment and grows up to be violent, is only violent because of his genes? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

You can take an American Pit Bull (or Pit Bull mutt), German Sheppard, or Rottweiler and regardless of 'breeding' turn him into a violent or docile animal from birth. Breeding may help but is not the only 'ingredient' in what makes an animal violent or docile.

I've recued and worked with fighting Pit Bulls. Yes, these were the 'bred' types that attacked other dogs in a fight for their lives. Unfortunately there is illegal dog fighting here in Oklahoma. Yes, they were traumatized but with due time and therapy, they became very docile. Breeding did not have shit to do with it.

How do you think Soldiers and Marines learn to kill other human beings in war. Was that done through breeding also? No, that's usually done through training and discipline. Environmental factors.

A dog that barks at the doorbell is a dog that thinks you are it's bitch.

They bark because they think it's their job to sort out who comes into the home. It's a sign of an unhappy dog because it's far more responsibility than they can deal with. A dog out of its depth is more likely to behave badly.

You need to be the master of your domain with a dog. Seems like you could use some doggy education before getting one so you don't make irreparable mistakes.

No dude I can get all the doggy education I need right here on sherdog, heading out to adopt a 1 year old Cane Coso right now! Can't wait to introduce him to my young family. Thanks for all the valuable info guys :rolleyes:

We have a black cat and a 5 year old daughter... Are bully breeds completely out even if raised from a pup? Are terriers in general not suitable for a youngster and cats? I'd like a breed that is durable and somewhat athletic. Labs are cool but I've heard they sometimes won't even bark when the doorbell rings. I don't need a guard dog, but a dog that at least sounds the alarm and/or puts on a show would be nice if there were ever a home intruder. It seem all these type of dogs also have higher prey drives making them less suitable for a home with a house cat or small child. What say you (sher)dog people?

I think almost any dog raised from a pup would be fine as long as you take good care of it and give it a stable environment.

But certain breeds, if they snap for some reason, you are going to have a problem on your hands. There's a difference between trying to pull a Pitbull off something and a Golden Retriever lol

Rottweilers. Very intelligent beasts. Their puppies are some of the cutest furballs around.

6f8380ea1a15f6a9f666273ba8475728--cute-rottweiler-puppy-rotweiler-puppies.jpg

I'm considering getting an American Bully as my next pet and companion for my Rottie. Anyone with experience with these?

I know many dog-owners (pitbull owners especially) piss on them that they're a poor pitbull ripoff but that doesn't really bother me. I've read that American Bullies in general are ugly big babies, and while looking intimidating with a pitbull face, is on the opposite end of the spectrum as pitbulls in terms of aggressiveness. They're apparently good with kids too with high pain tolerance. Sounds good to me if all that's true.

Tri-Color-American-Bully-Pitbull-For-sale.jpg

This is great advice. I had bully/working breeds most of my life. When the time came to get a new dog I researched what would be good for my family's lifestyle. Wife is allergic to most dogs and she doesn't want dog hair in the house. We travel a lot with youth sports and need a breed that I can drop off with friends or family so they can watch them while we are gone. Ended up with 2 miniature schnauzers. Not the most "manly" of breeds but idgaf. I got them for companions. They are great at that.
My girlfriend dog sits a neighbors mini schnauzer from time to time... nice dog really seems to be drawn to me (I think he lives in an all female home) Goofy little guy, real sweet... schnauzers are definitely be considered. Don't really care for all the hair covering the eyes, but could probably learn to groom em.

Pit bulls/staffers are not ideal for kids and pets

The best breeds for that are retriever breeds that show little to no aggression, Goldens and labs

If you want them to be gentle with the kids, cats AND guard from strangers then the best bet is a shepherd breed like a German or Aussie shepherd since they are bred to want to keep a designated group safe and not hurt them/allow anything to hurt them

Most guard dog breeds like chows or mountain dogs don't do well with cats

It's not rocket science, just look at what jobs they're bred for

It's usually prudent not to get a dog based on looks/image; rather you should get a dog that fits well into your lifestyle. Going out on a limb as well as using your op as an indicator.....im guessing the dog isnt going to get a whole lot of exercise with a kid to take care of, so bassett hound?

I actually am pretty active (hiking, walking, jogging) during the day, and would probably be even more motivated if I had an active dog (although I am not seeking high energy breeds specifically for this) I figure even the "lazy" breeds would still want to go on hikes and walks with me, so I am keeping an open mind here. I work graveyard shift so I have plenty of time in the mornings/early afternoon while my kid is at school. I agree that one should not get a dog just based on looks, but if you like the way a dog looks and it can also fit your lifestyle, then why not?

But certain breeds, if they snap for some reason, you are going to have a problem on your hands. There's a difference between trying to pull a Pitbull off something and a Golden Retriever lol

No doubt and honestly, this is probably why I won't end up with a bull breed. Been around some real gentle ones, but that "what if" would always be in the back of my mind. I'm liking the Boston Terrier suggestions so far. Also I've always had a thing for pugs even if they don't fit my "bad ass" request lol

I have a pit bull / Great Dane mix. He's a fucking idiot. Too wild to have inside.

We have a black cat and a 5 year old daughter... Are bully breeds completely out even if raised from a pup? Are terriers in general not suitable for a youngster and cats? I'd like a breed that is durable and somewhat athletic. Labs are cool but I've heard they sometimes won't even bark when the doorbell rings. I don't need a guard dog, but a dog that at least sounds the alarm and/or puts on a show would be nice if there were ever a home intruder. It seem all these type of dogs also have higher prey drives making them less suitable for a home with a house cat or small child. What say you (sher)dog people?
Bully/terrier breeds are fine with kids and ours used to curl up and spoon with the cat. The problem is that it is really hard to have them around other dogs... dog park or places with a lot of dogs are pretty much out of the question, which makes it kinda hard to get them out to exercise. They don't always start the fight with the other dog, but they always finish it, and anything that happens is pretty much always assumed to be your fault regardless.

Pit bulls/staffers are not ideal for kids and pets

The best breeds for that are retriever breeds that show little to no aggression, Goldens and labs

If you want them to be gentle with the kids, cats AND guard from strangers then the best bet is a shepherd breed like a German or Aussie shepherd since they are bred to want to keep a designated group safe and not hurt them/allow anything to hurt them

Most guard dog breeds like chows or mountain dogs don't do well with cats

It's not rocket science, just look at what jobs they're bred for

I thought German Shepherds tend to have high prey drive making them unsuitable for homes with small animals?

Pitbulls (we tend to call them staffies here) are really gentle if they're not raised by complete fucking cunts.

Unfortunately, cunthead fuckwits want those dogs and treat them like shit, encourage them to be aggressive and so the dog gets a bad name.

We've picked up a couple around here that have been lost and they've all been massive sooks. As long as you're raising it as a pup and aren't going to mistreat the thing, then a pitbull will be fine. The only time you might get hurt by one is when they wag their tail like crazy as it's a bit like a whip (a lot of people get them cut off, though I think that's more to make them look tough).

Avoid little dogs if you have kids, they'll bite for no reason and are just high strung.

Hmmmm , " they'll bite for no reason and are just high strung"

I thought it was 100% " all in how you raise them " ? Isn't that the go to for you guys?

I think I'm gonna head down to the pound and pick me up a mutt , maybe turn him into a champion bird dog!

What kinda sucker believes selective breeding actually accomplishes anything anyway. Your nanny dog pitbull notwithstanding.

I thought German Shepherds tend to have high prey drive making them unsuitable for homes with small animals?

Not if you raise them with cats and establish that the cat is part of the in group. The same way they were originally bred to guard your livestock instead of eating it

Back