"Palming" a basketball

you sure, I never knew that. I swear I have seen NBA players grip in one hand and make one handed passes while standing, or while dunking.

Yeah, that's not palming. You don't watch must basketball do you? ;)

Yeah, that's not palming. You don't watch must basketball do you? ;)

I used to back in the 90s, and I played a lot of street ball because everyone was back in the day.

What is palming then? I thought it just gripping securely and holding ball with one hand.

I used to back in the 90s, and I played a lot of street ball because everyone was back in the day.

What is palming then? I thought it just gripping securely and holding ball with one hand.

Turning the ball over with your hand when dribbling.

What he meant by palming is carrying the ball. When you dribble, you can't take the ball with your palm at least more than 90 degrees parallel from the ground

Edit: was answered already lol

Last edited:
Oh I thought that was called carrying.

I'm pretty sure they are one in the same, but I think carrying is a subset when you're moving forward. Palming can be done when standing still.

Jordan loved holding the ball out.

2157889318001_4285125898001_Can-Michael-Jordan-Palm-It.jpg

it was one of Jordans great attributes how easily he could palm it on either side. He didnt need both hands to corral the ball when driving left or right he could just palm it and bring it up for a dunk or layup, giving the defender the worst angle possible to try to swipe at it the whole time. He could do it at full speed which lots of guys cant or right off the dribble.

Reminds me of a conversation between my Bob-Cousy-Short-Pants-Era Dad and me a few years ago. He was carrying on about 'all the palming the basketball' going on and how illegal it was.

My son had taken his first lessons and I said the rules had changed since the 60's and that type of dribbling was being taught. Of course, he just grumbled more about 'not real dribbling'...

Reminds me of a conversation between my Bob-Cousy-Short-Pants-Era Dad and me a few years ago. He was carrying on about 'all the palming the basketball' going on and how illegal it was.

My son had taken his first lessons and I said the rules had changed since the 60's and that type of dribbling was being taught. Of course, he just grumbled more about 'not real dribbling'...
the rule hasnt changed. the enforcement has

KD has small, girly fingers. More about finger strength as guys that tall will have big hands. I know firsthand. Look at Giannis. He palms the ball and with his length and quickness makes him impossible to guard once he's got a good drive (could win him an MVP this year).

Last edited:
KD has small, girly fingers. More about finger strength as guys that tall will have big hands. I know firsthand. Look at Giannis. He palms the ball and with his length and quickness makes him impossible to guard once he's got a good drive (could win him an MVP this year).

Giannis hands are an anomaly. He can smack anyone in the face with them hands.

102013_GiannisHands.jpg

IIRC, his mitts are bigger than Dr. J's.

Claw's got some paws on him as well

Ca-qM_PUcAI6dTk.0.0.jpg

Damn. The excuse back then for Shaq not being able to hit them free throws is because of them giant hands. Kawhi can hit them Js, so I guess it ain't a big hands issue for Shaq after all.

yeah, like this

koberaja.jpg

Kobe doesn't have the biggest hands... which is why you can see in this picture his thumb is on the seam of the basketball... I can't truly palm a ball, but if you hand me a basketball and let me place my fingers on the seams I can "grip" a basketball.

Jordan could palm a ball effortlessly... like a normal person could palm a softball, plenty of others can as well but quite a few can't control it well without gripping it like Kobe is.

tumblr_ofmjnv4atK1ur4zrgo1_400.gif

Last edited:
Damn. The excuse back then for Shaq not being able to hit them free throws is because of them giant hands. Kawhi can hit them Js, so I guess it ain't a big hands issue for Shaq after all.
Shaq was sweating bullets at the line. Diesel was everywhere at once except at FT drills.

it was one of Jordans great attributes how easily he could palm it on either side. He didnt need both hands to corral the ball when driving left or right he could just palm it and bring it up for a dunk or layup, giving the defender the worst angle possible to try to swipe at it the whole time. He could do it at full speed which lots of guys cant or right off the dribble.

Most professionals and high level amateurs can do that. There is only a handful of guys that were too small to grip basketball securely ever make it past high school ball. I think even most guys that play juco can hold ball with one hand.

Back