Should I move to the USA? (Northern California)

Just seen this:

Summary about cost of living in San Jose (USD is in parentheses):

• Four-person family monthly costs: 4,551.85S$ (3,343.75$) without rent (using our estimator).
  • A single person monthly costs: 1,253.73S$ (920.98$) without rent.
  • Cost of living index in San Jose is 8.13%lower than in Singapore.
  • Cost of living rank 79th out of 521 cities in the world.
  • San Jose has a cost of living index of 81.84.

If the living cost is 8% lower and the earnings potentially 30+% higher than it doesn't seem too bad :)

Singapore doesn't have shady areas like San Jose. Remember, every US city has ghetto areas that lower the avg. They shouldn't be in the avg because they aren't in the pool of places you would ever consider living in.

Palo Alto is one of the most expensive places but when I lived there around 2000 East Palo Alto still had one of the highest murder rates in the US.

have you done any research yourself? 90k in those places won't make for a comfortable lifestyle unless your wife is making a similar amount of money and you're debt free. my wife and I live in a place where the cheapest house thats livable is 350k and we make a combined total of around 120k. After the mortgage, house, and student loan payments, we aren't saving more 5-6k a year. Also, how your job will help with healthcare is relevant, especially with Trump changes down the way...

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...-121.953735,37.338432,-122.077332_rect/12_zm/

It's really tough to get Yorkshire tea and Heinz baked beans. Might not be a big deal for you but for me it's a deal breaker.

have you done any research yourself?
Minimal, as of yet. I've been thinking about it since today and my first thoughts were to check the price of American muscle cars and start a thread here. :)

Actually I just want to get some insight about what it's like to live in USA compared to other countries, and particularly northern California area.

I've never even been to the USA before.

I don't want to get too hung up on the money because, it could be different.

How's your life in Singapore?

I love Singapore. Good weather, good food.. It's my home now. I'm renting a nice brand new condo (small tho), I live in a good area, I have a job I like.

Problems are that I can't save money because my wife doesn't work, the rent is expensive too. I can't afford to buy a car or an apartment (not even close), and I can't get permanent residency although I've applied a few times.

I'm thinking about how to save money because I want to buy some land and you know...have a family and shit.

It's really tough to get Yorkshire tea and Heinz baked beans. Might not be a big deal for you but for me it's a deal breaker.

Sounds like you need to try a real country breakfast instead, mate.

Singapore doesn't have shady areas like San Jose. Remember, every US city has ghetto areas that lower the avg. They shouldn't be in the avg because they aren't in the pool of places you would ever consider living in.

Palo Alto is one of the most expensive places but when I lived there around 2000 East Palo Alto still had one of the highest murder rates in the US.

They tried changing the name of East Palo Alto hoping people wouldn’t realize where they were moving to. I used to return scrap aluminum to a recycler there when I was a teenager for a contractor I worked for..... packs of dogs roaming the streets, thugs hanging around in front of liquor stores, it was like going into Mogadishu

Ravenswood always up to no good

I love Singapore. Good weather, good food.. It's my home now. I'm renting a nice brand new condo (small tho), I live in a good area, I have a job I like.

Problems are that I can't save money because my wife doesn't work, the rent is expensive too. I can't afford to buy a car or an apartment (not even close), and I can't get permanent residency although I've applied a few times.

I'm thinking about how to save money because I want to buy some land and you know...have a family and shit.
Let's not talk about them banning vape because they can't tax the shit out of it like what they did with alcohol and tobacco. Thanks PAP.

I thought singporeans just buy properties and cars in malaysia then retire there.

They tried changing the name of East Palo Alto hoping people wouldn’t realize where they were moving to. I used to return scrap aluminum to a recycler there when I was a teenager for a contractor I worked for..... packs of dogs roaming the streets, thugs hanging around in front of liquor stores, it was like going into Mogadishu

Ravenswood always up to no good

People usually don't think of East Palo Alto in th category of Gary IN, New Orleans, Memphis, and East St. Louis for murder rate but it absolutely was.

Funny story: a couple of years ago we were looking at moving back to the area and I was thinking of Belmont. My kids would have gone to Claremont -- the high school in the movie Dangerous Minds. I showed them the movie to scare them - LOL. The reason that school was so dangerous was not because of Belmont, it was because they bussed in kids from East Palo Alto.

When I lived in the San Jose area as a kid, it was great. Northern and Central California has some of the better weather in the country. When I was there the people were friendly, lots of activities to do, going up into the hills and up into the mountains during the weekends. I suspect most likely you will enjoy being there.

It's been a long time since I talked with him, but my mom stays in touch with his mom. I've been told a HS friend recently moved from California to Florida for work. He now wants to move back to California. Costs were less in California for him, more jobs were available and people friendlier he and his wife are saying.

Tell your wife to get a job. Feminism and equal rights and all that.

Have you looked at jobs in other states?

Get the Camaro SS. It's the most capable of the 3. Best acceleration, lateral acceleration and braking.

Yeah, but the challenger has 4 doors in case you ever need to have more than one person in your car, or have anything to take with you.

Yeah, but the challenger has 4 doors in case you ever need to have more than one person in your car, or have anything to take with you.

Both camaro and mustang have good trunk space and enough space in the rear seats to put stuff so the "anything" is covered. But yeah of you absolutely need a 4 door the charger is basically the only option. It's a heavy pig that doesn't handle well but it's good enough in a straight line.

PA and EPA are two separate cities. Also for EPA that is no longer the case, its way better.

I would suggest waiting until around January 20, 2021 to move here.

How come your wife doesn't work?

Back