Does Gastelum 1st round ko make GSP comeback win look weak?

A little tbh... GSP is not a top 10 MW, I think we all kinda knew that though.

Bisping vs GSP as a title fight looked weak no matter how you slice it. Everyone knew both guys were avoiding top contenders and cherry picking a fight they thought they could win.

no i dont believe he can buttt we are talking about here and now.. i would never disrespect gsp by comparing kevin gastelum to him.
Well, the here and now would then be that Bisping was still beat up from the GSP fight.

I don't think it affects GSP's comeback win at all. Gastelum is a legit threat in 185 and if he can get his shit together at WW. Styles make fights and just because GSP took a bit longer and had more trouble doesn't mean much to me. His next fight will tell us more about where Georges it at vs. the top shelf 185 fighters ala Robert if they make that fight. I hope.

Gsp had a 4 year lay off
Gsp/bisping had to promote a title fight
gsp/bisping had to make 185 and train for 5 rounds
Bisping was just in a war a few weeks ago and took some damage.
Gastelum had to pull some shenanigans to make weight.

So no. Kelvin is mentally weaker and as we know, Half of mma is 90% mental.

How was BisPing allowed to fight 3 weeks after a loss?

Honestly this makes the UFC look bad for allowing the Count to fight so soon. Sure, he wasn't KOed by GSP, but it was still a fight where he took some head damage from strikes. Remember it was a knock down that set up the RNC.

Then he takes on a puncher?

The result was expected, really, based Bisping fighting 3 weeks after a loss combined with Gastellum having some punching power.

Does this make GSP look bad? No. It makes Bisping look like a fool (or brave) for taking a fight so soon after a loss, and it makes the UFC look bad for allowing Bisping to fight.

Not in the slightest.

Bisping took this fight on two weeks notice, a week after a war with GSP. Gastelum put on a show and i don’t want to take away from his win but let’s not pretend bisping was fresh out there.

And regardless still, what GSP did was unprecedented. Name another professional athlete who has ever taken near 5 years off and been able to return like he did?

He got his bell rung by GSP in that last fight and was foolish for coming back so soon. And a lot guys lose after a big loss.

And GSP was gone for years.
It's just good to see Bisping returned to his rightful place in the pecking order. No point in comparing apples to grapefruits.

<15>

I think it's tough to compare fighters through common opponents when one is a puncher and the other isn't. It's also just another form of MMAmath and can be shown to be unreliable.

If memory serves, Frankie finished Mendes even faster than Conor soon after Conor KO'd Mendes in their fight. That didn't enable Frankie to beat Aldo.

Good morning fellas.., Does Gastelums DOMINANT victory over Bisping make GSP win over Bisping look weak or less impressive now?

Its definately time for Bisping to retire. I really hope he knows this now
to be fair.....Michael Bisping retired the night he beat Luke.....

What do you guys expect Gsp cracked bisping chin, did all the heavy lifting for gastelum

I don't know. Good question. I don't think Bisping is really a great fighter, but I figured he'd beat GSP due to the size issue, style, and layoff. Style wise, Bisping should have had it much easier with GSP than Gastelum. I gave him no chance against Gastelum since I saw Gastelum destroy Kennedy, a guy who outclassed Bisping more handily than people are willing to admit.

GSP wasn't known for power in his hands, had a layoff, was fighting with more muscle, and liked to wrestle, things which would seemingly hurt against a guy like Bisping, who has insane cardio and is hard to wrestle.

Gastelum is known for big power and didn't go to 185 looking like he'd gas on his way to the cage. I gave Bisping no chance.

Yes. And it's glorious.

Hope Whittaker trashes GSP even worse than Kelvin did Bisping.

Maybe then UFC will learn to promote the true top guys instead of whoever they think will sell most.

The MW division looks like a joke right now.

I didn’t even think GSP was going to fight Whittaker before; there’s no way he’s going to now that Gastelum annihilated Bisping better and easier than he could.

This thread is stupid. Also, transparently sad and desperate.

Back