It's unethical to leave your wealth to your kids

Thanks for your valued, ASKED FOR input

oh wait

I'm reading the thread. If you actually have any argument or data to support your claims, I'd love to see it. But when you react to a question about that by bailing, it just pretty clearly exposes that you were talking out of your ass, IMO.

I'm reading the thread. If you actually have any argument or data to support your claims, I'd love to see it. But when you react to a question about that by bailing, it just pretty clearly exposes that you were talking out of your ass, IMO.
once again, thanks for your vaunted opinion

my day was not quite complete, it was missing a little something. Now, i'm good

You 'can' yes...

but making that mandatory is not only illegal but absurd

also, go for it, good luck w/ that endeavor!
Of course I would never make it mandatory but I do agree on a much higher estate tax.

presumably b/c you have no estate.....

So now you'll presume to know me? I am not getting into personal details but by the time I retire I will most certainly have an estate (unless some unforeseen terrible luck strikes me or my family).

This is why some people like my folks have it written into their will if they die before I turn a certain age I can't access any of the estate until I hit that age. I think it's like 35-40.

Depends on your philosophy. If you wanna stick hard to some kind of utilitarianism, it probably is, but doing that leads to all kinds of whacky conclusions. I think you have a special duty to your family, so for me it'd be immoral not to leave them my wealth, unless they expressly asked me not to or I had good reason to think it would harm them (e.g very very excessive amounts of money)

So now you'll presume to know me? I am not getting into personal details but by the time I retire I will most certainly have an estate (unless some unforeseen terrible luck strikes me or my family).
I don't presume, it's just statistics and depending on what state/the cutoff is

if you still feel this way and DO fall into this category at retirement, then fair enough. I have a feeling you won't though

Inheritance tax ftw! You make your money off the system, the system takes it back.

I don't presume, it's just statistics and depending on what state/the cutoff is

Just ask me next time bud.

if you still feel this way and DO fall into this category at retirement, then fair enough. I have a feeling you won't though
I have a feeling I will and I already vote against my own financial interests. I'll do cartwheels around my office if the GOP ever lowered the capital gains rate.

But yeah just keep making shit up man. It's easier than addressing arguments.

if not playing along w/ someone b/c they want too is a dick tuck

then sure. I operate by standard definitions and semantics however, so carry on. As you were

once again, thanks for your vaunted opinion

my day was not quite complete, it was missing a little something. Now, i'm good

Looking at the bluster and retreat here, it's pretty clear you know that you were full of shit and have nothing at all to support your position.

This is why some people like my folks have it written into their will if they die before I turn a certain age I can't access any of the estate until I hit that age. I think it's like 35-40.
It's a very personal decision and I certainly don't know you but that sort of thing struck me as strange generally speaking.

People usually need the cash much more at young adult age than later. Presumably people have established their careers at 40 but are still making their way in their 20s.

Personally I will help my daughter out sooner rather than when I croak. And if I do really well I'm seriously considering donating most to charities unless there are other circumstances (daughter gets sick or disabled or something along those lines).

oh sure
what percentage of the wealthy vote for the GOP?

A quarter or so, right?

There isn't good polling because of the small number who fit that category, but that's what I was seeing for the last presidential election.

Ed: Quick search shows this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/business/rich-vote-republican-not-this-election-maybe.html?_r=0

and this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/11/millionaire-voters-back-hillary-over-trump.html

Appears to be a lot of variance from election to election, possibly because we're looking at a small population and less-reliable polling. At any rate, there's no rational basis to make an assumption about someone's estate size based on their views on taxation.

Last edited:
A quarter or so, right?

There isn't good polling because of the small number who fit that category, but that's what I was seeing for the last presidential election.
Strikes me as low, could Trump explain it and the number is higher when the GOP nominates a sane, intelligent candidate?

I have not data on this at all just seems low. Totally anecdotal but every well educated, high income earning conservative I know hated Trump (and some voted for Hillary).

Edit: not sure if it was clear but I mean the number is surprising, not that it's wrong.

Yeah, let’s blame the guy who worked his butt off n left some money behind for his kids instead of the guy who did neither?

So the moral of the story is be on welfare n father as many kids as you want, but don’t worry about it, someone else will take care of them

Strikes me as low, could Trump explain it and the number is higher when the GOP nominates a sane, intelligent candidate?

I have not data on this at all just seems low. Totally anecdotal but every well educated, high income earner conservative I know hated Trump (and some voted for Hillary).

Depends how you define "rich." But, yeah, looks like a heavy Trump effect, as he only got about half of rich *Republicans* in some polls. Romney got a majority, it appears. But even at 60% (Romney's total in one poll), you're not doing much better than chance if you're using it as a basis to guess about someone. Obama got 50% if you use a relatively low cutoff for high earners, because he got people like us by a lot (urban professional types) but lost flyover business types.

Back