Arab-Israeli Conflict, v2: What the UN Jerusalem vote mean for Israel, the U.S, and Palestine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, but you claimed Europe is antisemitic too for opposing it.

Is that what I said? If so, I may have misspoken. I do not think opposing the US action is inherently antisemitic. I simply think antisemitism is a major driver of it in the Middle East (as you yourself pointed out) and also in Europe, where antisemitism is widely recognized to have increased greatly in recent years. I already stated that I do not think antisemitism is the only driver of opposition to the US action.

Do you even give a shit where the Capital of Israel is? Does anyone in this thread?

what i give a shit about is that a bunch of poverty peasant countries are voting to undermine us. let them; they need the US more than we need them. next time theres an ebola our aids outbreak, they can take care of it themselves

DRloPnjV4AANNlC.jpg

I think the abstain votes are people who are afraid of Trump, so pretty much all right wing governments in latin America, Canada and UK.

The UK backed the resolution.

The UN is that dog that barks and chases after cars but does not know what to do other than uninterestedly walk away when cars stop right in front of it.

You say I'm dead wrong, but then admit that I'm correct about Israel not being the aggressor in the 1973 War. So you are conceding that you were wrong when you said Israel has always been the aggressor.

I am also correct that Israel did not start the 1948 War which can only reasonably be described as a defensive war against an international military coalition.

I agree that Israel has historically been attacked by Arabs, but most Palestinians are young and werent even alive back then.

I agree that Israel has historically been attacked by Arabs, but most Palestinians are young and werent even alive back then.

Yes, I wasn't making the point that today's Palestinians are responsible for things that happened in 1948. I was merely refuting @HomerThompson 's historically nonsensical claim that Israel has always been the aggressor.

Your hostility to Israel's Jewish cultural and religious heritage is noted.

I hold no hostility towards jewish cultural or religious heritage. I'm speaking purely from a position of common sense. Something that's very much lacking in that region from both sides, since they're both reading from thousand year old books of nonsense. It really doesn't help the situation when the US comes in, reading from a third ancient book of nonsense, when their constitution specifically forbids them from mixing religion with state matters.

FUCKING DUH.

Who was under the impression that the majority of the world sides with Jews over the Arabs? The East doesnt give a fuck about them, India doesn't give a fuck about them, and Europe loves the Arabs.

If you took a vote asking if the Arabs could take back all the settlements and officially claim the city the results would the same. Lol

Last edited:
According to Ottoman statistics studied by Justin McCarthy, thepopulation of Palestine in the early 19th century was 350,000, in 1860 it was 411,000 and in 1900 about 600,000 of which 94% were Arabs. In 1914 Palestine had a population of 657,000 Muslim Arabs, 81,000 Christian Arabs, and 59,000 Jews.

I know Arkain already has a massive Arab-Israeli conflict thread that involves some posts on this, but I think the issue deserves its own thread for a moment rather than just being on page 72.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ampaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2050

Recognizing Jurusalem as Israel's capital creates a needless controversy and offers no tangible benefit to Americans. Also, along with the Paris Treaty, it symbolizes how the current administration is alienating America from the international community.

It is easy to ridicule the United Nations, but ultimately, America acting as a rogue state will- and really, since the administration of Bush II, already HAS- destabilized the world tremendously.

For those of you celebrating the US's decision to thumb its nose at world opinion yet again, remember that if we had listened to world opinion 15 years ago, we would have avoided that nice little puddle of shit known as the Iraq War... and from there you can theorize the dominoes that would or would not have fallen in the Middle East and North Africa.

Politically, it might be wise to remember that GWB exited office with an approval rating in the low 20's-- and voters cited a desire to return America into a position of international respect as a major motivation in the 2008 election.

lol

Cool. Let them handle the rest of the worlds problems then. I'm good with that.

why should the UN care about the US honoring Jerusalem as Israel's capital? Palestinian's don't even have a country to make a capital.... they are a made up people of rejects from other arab countries.

Then why did you call it nonsense?

Well I am agnostic. I think the Jewish scriptures, the bible and the koran are all nonsensical, but I will defend the right of people to believe in whatever they want, as long as they're not using those beliefs to shit on others.

Palestinians in Jerusalem: UN vote 'pointless exercise'
by Zena Tahhan

Palestinian leaders have hailed the result of a vote at the UN rejecting a unilateral US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital, calling it proof of international support for "justice".

"The international community has unequivocally proved that it will not be intimidated or blackmailed, and its members will defend the global rule of law," Hanan Ashrawi, a senior member of the Palestine Liberation Organization, said in a statement after Thursday's vote.

But for many on the ground, the resolution approved by the UN General Assembly was nothing more than a symbolic act.

"It's a pointless exercise," Amany Khalifa, a political activist in Jerusalem, told Al Jazeera.

"The Palestinian Authority (PA) has to evaluate the whole diplomatic process of going to the UN. The experience we've had is that for decades now these resolutions have not changed anything."

Breaking with decades of US policy in favour of a two-state solution, President Donald Trump on December 6 said Washington would formally recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and would start the process of moving its embassy to the city.

The declaration dealt a blow to the Palestinian leadership, which for more than two decades has unsuccessfully attempted to establish a Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital.

When a US veto at the UN Security Council earlier this week blocked the same draft resolution from passing, the PA decided to take the issue to the General Assembly, where the resolutions are non-legally binding.

"We will take political, diplomatic and legal actions against Trump's declaration regarding Jerusalem," Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the PA, said.

But Khalifa believes that "the only ones who are still talking about the two-state solution are the PA".

It is "in their interest to maintain this discourse", she said.

"If they don't do so, they will cease to exist."

The PA, which administers pockets of the occupied West Bank, says that the only answer to the more than 70-year-old conflict is the establishment of a Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital, alongside the existing Israeli one.

But since the signing of the Oslo Accords in 1993, meant to lead to the formation of that Palestinian state on the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, the Israeli occupation of these territories has only intensified, making it difficult for Palestinians to envision such a solution.

Currently, between 600,000 to 750,000 Israeli citizens - or 11 percent of the Israeli population - live in the occupied territories.

Guarded by heavily armed Israeli soldiers, they have taken up large swathes of Palestinian private land and are. At least 12 such settlements have been built around and in the heart of Palestinian neighbourhoods in Jerusalem.

Amid this reality, as well as dwindling hopes of Israel ever withdrawing its settlers, some say it is time for a different approach.

"People are already living in the reality of settlements and they see that such a solution is impossible to be achieved on the ground," said Khalifa.

"We need to accept that there is one state - the Zionist one - and then we can talk about finding other means of resistance - not clinging on to the two-state solution," she added.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/...-vote-pointless-exercise-171221154344668.html

Well I am agnostic. I think the Jewish scriptures, the bible and the koran are all nonsensical, but I will defend the right of people to believe in whatever they want, as long as they're not using those beliefs to shit on others.
I'm not Hindu, but I'm not going out of my way to call the Vedas nonsensical. If I were, I would be demonstrating animus toward their religion and culture.

You can't have it both ways. If you want to be a cynical critic of the books that are the heart and soul of the Jewish cultural and religious tradition, and suggest that it ought to have no bearing on decisions Jews make about their country, don't follow it up by saying you bear that tradition no animus. Same goes for those criticizing the Koran in terms similar to those you used imo.

This makes me so fucking happy. Finally a president that isn’t afraid to tell the world to fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back