STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Here's the thing about Hamill. . .

He says he told Rian Johnson early on, "I fundamentally disagree with every decision you've made for Luke."

Okay, asshole, so why the fuck did you make the movie? Is it just me, or does it seem like a bitch move to know ahead of time that you're unhappy with the direction the character is being taken, but then make the movie anyway, only to publicly complain about it after you've gotten paid?

You think people are being unfair to Rian Johnson but you call Mark Hamill an asshole?

Hamill would have been vilified if he had held out on Episode 8, especially after the way it looked like the story was going after Episode 7. People would just be in the dark and puzzled and think he had fucked everything up. They would think the makeshift story to explain his absence in Episode 8 was his fault and that he had robbed them of the Episode 8 they thought they were going to get, but actually never were.

Plus what do you think his contract looked like? Do you think there would have been no consequences to pulling out of Episode 8 after shooting Episode 7?

Do you think he ever thought the Episode 8 script would be what it was when he was filming Part 7 and committed himself in advance to Part 8?

He showed up to work and tried to put as much of the real Luke Skywalker as he could into what was on the paper.

With JJ coming back in for ep IX, I'm really hoping that he gives Kylo back his mask. Or maybe instead he has Kylo fashion for himself a new, even more awesome mask, and spin it as destroying the old mask is destroying the old Kylo Ren. The new mask symbolizes Kylo in all his might.

I don't think he needs to wear it all the time, but it's nice to have in key moments.

So now the Star Wars movies become the battlegrounds between two directors' egos wanting to piss each other off.

You think people are being unfair to Rian Johnson but you call Mark Hamill an asshole?

Hamill would have been vilified if he had held out on Episode 8, especially after the way it looked like the story was going after Episode 7. People would just be in the dark and puzzled and think he had fucked everything up. They would think the makeshift story to explain his absence in Episode 8 was his fault and that he had robbed them of the Episode 8 they thought they were going to get, but actually never were.

Plus what do you think his contract looked like? Do you think there would have been no consequences to pulling out of Episode 8 after shooting Episode 7?

Do you think he ever thought the Episode 8 script would be what it was when he was filming Part 7 and committed himself in advance to Part 8?

He showed up to work and tried to put as much of the real Luke Skywalker as he could into what was on the paper.

This. Hamill is a professional and did his best with the material. You don't just quit.

As a professional soccer player, even if you disagree with the managers orders, you still have to play ... you don't just walk off the field.

Definitely.

Watching his interviews it's like, why didn't you just refuse to participate if you hated the idea so bad. If star wars meant as much to him as it does to these outraged fans he would have just refused. I'm sure he has more money than anyone on here without doing this film

Nonsense.

If you are a professional, you do your best with your job. If you are a professional soccer player and the manager puts you in a position that you disagree with, you don't just walk off the field.

You can voice your disagreement, but ultimately you have to get on with the job at hand. As a professional.

Nonsense.

If you are a professional, you do your best with your job. If you are a professional soccer player and the manager puts you in a position that you disagree with, you don't just walk off the field.

You can voice your disagreement, but ultimately you have to get on with the job at hand. As a professional.

I can understand voicing disagreements privately.

But is throwing the director under the bus at every available opportunity also part of being a professional?

All this is well and good, but if he's going to get on with it and continue with the work then it seems kind of shitty to just be bitching and complaining every time someone puts a microphone in front of him.

Sure, on one hand I can appreciate his candor. But on the other, it does feel a bit like he's stabbing his director in the back.

I mean, he'll continue on with the job and accept payment for services rendered, but then he's just going to talk shit constantly after the fact?

All this is well and good, but if he's going to get on with it and continue with the work then it seems kind of shitty to just be bitching and complaining every time someone puts a microphone in front of him.

Sure, on one hand I can appreciate his candor. But on the other, it does feel a bit like he's stabbing his director in the back.

I mean, he'll continue on with the job and accept payment for services rendered, but then he's just going to talk shit constantly after the fact?

Rian Johnson's a colleague, not his Dad. Mark predates him in these projects by 40 years. I think he's entitled to speak honestly about the films in public.

What I have seen from him are honest and insightful answers about how he had to go about performing this role.

I can understand voicing disagreements privately.

But is throwing the director under the bus at every available opportunity also part of being a professional?

If an interviewer asks him a question, he gives an honest answer.

I would rather Mark Hamill tell the truth rather than lie and bullshit to interviewers, just to gain brownie points from Rian Johnson.

Mark is a man, a man is gonna answer a straight question honestly.

Which is exactly why the critics score of this movie is so high. They're professionals and don't do this

Critics tend more to shy away from low scores I would say but still often overrated things for me.

Personally my view is that there are two potential things going on, firstly media outlets that depend on Disney advertising and access to interviews not wanting to piss them off and risk losing these things, secondly more of a sheep like mentality in modern critics. Being the one to stand out from the crowd and give something a negative or positive review against what they believe the trend will be seems to increasingly be a fear factor even for big name reviewers(who fear being looked on as elitists)

I remember back when places like Rotten Tomatoes reviews often came in over several days not instantly there was a strong tednancy for trends, films would get strong earlier reviews but then after negative word of mouth got out there scores would drop off.

how is Rey so powerful with virtually no training? Force users have always required training. Always.
Actually Luke gets very little training in the first movie. Basically some fundamental stuff in the Falcon on the way to Alderaan & that's it. Wasn't on Degobah that long in the 2nd either tbh considering what full Jedi training would take. Pablo Hidalgo sayz about a month based on the time it took the Falcon to make its journey to Cloud City (same time Luke was training)

Rey didn't do all that much with the force outside of moving physical objects. That was a product of necessity that fine tuned her focus & there was no time for doubt... & so the force flowed through her & she was able to move all them rocks at once.

Think about when Luke was on Dagobah (Ep. 5) & Yoda had him focus on the rocks in like day 1 training... & he was hovering them successfully... including holding himself upside down on one hand with Yoda sitting on him... but then he lost his concentration & they all fell. Later he couldn't pull the X-wing out because his focus was tainted by doubt. So moving stuff with the force is done through concentrated focus & belief. (pure power of focused will) The necessity Rey had was her focus, & it had to be done or they would all die & so there was no room for doubt. She had to do it... & that's why it worked for her.

She became an elite staff fighter growing up through necessity & just straight up "need to survive" vibrancy... & now add to that the force awakening so strong in her... & it ads up that she can fight that well.

Last edited:
The film entertained me all the way through but I still consider Dunkirk and Blade Runner as my top films of 2017. I felt like they were trying to insert too many jokes into the film and some of the dialogue seemed amateurish coming from such a high profile film. Some of the jokes were great but there were a lot that fell flat as well. Chrome dome was especially stupid and I cringed really bad at the titty milk joke . Leia floating through space was silly but I could live with it. The plot with Finn and the chick felt like it paled in comparison to the rest of the other character's plots and it's made worse by the amount of time it has dedicated to it. I liked it more than the Force Awakens.

Actually Luke gets very little training in the first movie. Basically some fundamental stuff in the Falcon on the way to Alderaan & that's it. Wasn't on Degobah that long in the 2nd either tbh considering what full Jedi training would take. Pablo Hidalgo sayz about a month based on the time it took the Falcon to make its journey to Cloud City (same time Luke was training)

Rey didn't do all that much with the force outside of moving physical objects. That was a product of necessity that fine tuned her focus & there was no time for doubt... & so the force flowed through her & she was able to move all them rocks at once.

Think about when Luke was on Dagobah (Ep. 5) & Yoda had him focus on the rocks in like day 1 training... & he was hovering them successfully... including holding himself upside down on one hand with Yoda sitting on him... but then he lost his concentration & they all fell. Later he couldn't pull the X-wing out because his focus was tainted by doubt. So moving stuff with the force is done through concentrated focus & belief. (pure power of focused will) The necessity Rey had was her focus, & it had to be done or they would all die & so there was no room for doubt. She had to do it... & that's why it worked for her.

She became an elite staff fighter growing up through necessity & just straight up "need to survive" vibrancy... & now add to that the force awakening so strong in her... & it ads up that she can fight that well.
But...she's a girl.

But...she's a girl.
A very feisty one... who's been living at the edge of life & death her whole life. That passion & "need" is what drives the force & allows people to use it.

Luke was kind of a whiney kid who lacked self belief. Rey couldn't afford such luxuries. Her friends were going to die if she didn't move them rocks.

She was in what she considered a life or death battle in TFA with Kylo when she pulled the saber to her. That burning feisty will to survive grabbed that Saber. Kylo wanted to recruit her & probably underestimated her as any kind of threat. He's kind of a snobby middle class but fairly rich kid, so he doesn't have that survival instinct like Rey has. He was probably pulling at the saber with the minimum will that was necessary. That's why Rey's force power got her Lukes saber in that scene over Kylo despite Kylo having trained for much longer. She was fighting for her life.

A very feisty one... who's been living at the edge of life & death her whole life. That passion & "need" is what drives the force & allows people to use it.

Luke was kind of a whiney kid who lacked self belief. Rey couldn't afford such luxuries. Her friends were going to die if she didn't move them rocks.

She was in what she considered a life or death battle in TFA with Kylo when she pulled the saber to her. That burning feisty will to survive grabbed that Saber. Kylo wanted to recruit her & probably underestimated her as any kind of threat. He's kind of a snobby middle class but fairly rich kid, so he doesn't have that survival instinct like Rey has. He was probably pulling at the saber with the minimum will that was necessary. That's why Rey's force power got her Lukes saber in that scene over Kylo despite Kylo having trained for much longer. She was fighting for her life.
Still...she's a girl. With vagina!

Don't forget to mention. Yoda noticed this too about Luke and absolutely did not want to train him. Even argued with Obi-Wan about it, and wanted to train Leia instead. Even though Leia grew up rich and royal, he noticed the fight in her and felt she would make a much better Jedi. Took a lot of convincing to get Yoda to change his mind.

Yoda probably loves what he sees in Rey, he would be salivating to train her. Hopefully we see more of Yoda with some training

Next movie, don't know if we're supposed to fill in the gaps and assume Kylo is learning from holocrons. If we'll see Sith ghosts. And if Luke will be back too as a force ghost, or do we assume Rey is busy reading up on the Jedi texts. But I'm guessing we'll see them at the height of their powers

Luke was a farmer for chrissakes, yet the first time he ever sat in an X wing fighter he managed to evade trained storm troopers in tie fighters, zoom past death star laser cannons in a 10 foot wide trench, and fire one magical shot to a two meter hole at high speed. But, yeah, Rey being good at magic fighting is totally unrealistic :rolleyes: At least she has a background of surviving on her own for her entire childhood. I suppose a 10 minute Luke and Rey jedi crossfit montage would have cured this whole issue for people.

I liked it, could have done without Yoda, and the Leia floating to safety was cheesy, but it kept me entertained throughout. They've done a great job of establishing a new universe and set of characters, to the point where Luke was the character that interested me least.

I thought the way they subverted expectations was excellent. I read nothing about it beforehand and expected sort of a beat by beat reworking of Empire Strikes back, but it avoided predictability. There's no real way to improve upon the classic, so I'm glad they made this one it's own story, after Force Awakens completely mimicked New Hope.

The opening scene was one of the best scenes in the series.

Merry Christmas everyone!

df4f1bb3629523b074529b853ff616f9.jpg

Back