USADA trialing new anti-doping test method in UFC

dim_

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
920x1240-920x400.jpg

https://mma-today.com/ufc-usada-trialing-cutting-edge-anti-doping-method

In conversation with Joe Rogan on the JRE Experience, UFC Vice President of athlete performance Jeff Novitzky revealed that the UFC are now employing cutting edge technology on behalf of USADA.

Described by Novitzky as “leeching” a small device pierces the athletes skin in a similar manner to that in which a diabetic would collect a sample, and a drop of blood is applied to a testing card where it is dried, and then sealed and shipped to the lab. There they can be analysed for a wide range of substances including stimulants, steroids, drugs of abuse and human growth hormone.

Hmm interesting. Always good to see potential improvements to their drug test.

The golden snitch coming through stopping more cheating Jones' and Silva's'

jeff-novitzky.jpg

Nice! Wonder how many will pop for HGH.

Wait, im confused.. someone help me.. novitzky is employed by the ufc??? i always thought he was a guru employed by usada?? what the ever living fuck?

TLDR for those can be bothered clicking a link and actually reading.

One of the big problems with blood testing aside from cost is it needs a dedicated "phlebotomist" to collect the sample, someone trained in blood collection and there arent as many of them (at the Rio olympics there were only 10 in total)

The new method doesnt need a phlebotomist because its literally one drop of blood, put onto a piece of paper and dried out.

This means that every single doping control officer will now be able to collect blood as well as urine.

also easier to ship, a peice of card with a spot of dried blood on it, sealed in tamper proof envelope, much easier than refrigerated containers being moved around the country.

basically in a nutshell, instead of collecting Urine 100% of the time, and blood on about 20% of the test sessions, they should now be able to collect both blood and urine on 100% of the test visits

and those dried blood spots can be analysed for steroids, hgh, all sorts.

(im not sure they will push forward with anti doping cases based purely on blood spot results, but if a DBS test is positive then they will put the urine sample through more testing, isotope ratio testing etc)

to be honest, thats just as long, just go read the fucking article.

Last edited:
Nice! Wonder how many will pop for HGH.

thats the one that really stood out of me in the studies that have been done on the dried blood spot method. they managed 8-12 hours detection on hgh.

if they now collect blood in every single test session, it could potentially be a game changer

but, this is very much UFC trialing the technology, my hunch is that on a practical basis any positives they get from blood spots they will use that info to target analyse the living crap out of the accompanying urine sample

Wait, im confused.. someone help me.. novitzky is employed by the ufc??? i always thought he was a guru employed by usada?? what the ever living fuck?

No, Jeff is employed by the UFC

he is basically in charge of educating the athletes how to compete clean, how to make good supplementation choices etc, and if they do test positive hes there to assist them with investigating the cause, and liases between the ufc and usada

@USADA is corrupt like everything else

Give jones his own 5 year suspension already

I wonder if it will improve their incredibly shitty success rate?

thats the one that really stood out of me in the studies that have been done on the dried blood spot method. they managed 8-12 hours detection on hgh.

if they now collect blood in every single test session, it could potentially be a game changer

but, this is very much UFC trialing the technology, my hunch is that on a practical basis any positives they get from blood spots they will use that info to target analyse the living crap out of the accompanying urine sample

I didn’t think the detection time was very long, but I didn’t want to look like an idiot. Could be a game changer. I guess we shall see.

Back