The Maze Runner series: Maze Runner, Scorch Trials, Death Cure

G

Guestx

Since the new movie is coming out soon I figured I would give these a look. I had seen the first one once before, when it was originally released, but avoided the second because I heard it wasn't very good.

When I saw the first film a few years ago I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. These YA movies are REALLY hit-and-miss (more often miss than hit) and I wasn't expecting much, but it ended up being well-done and the premise felt original to me. The whole concept of the maze felt like something I hadn't seen in a movie before and the effects were top-notch.

Overall I'd give The Maze Runner a 7.5/10.

Watching The Scorch Trials tonight for the first time, again I wasn't expecting much. It has a 48% on RT and most of the word of mouth was negative, so I went into it anticipating disappointment. All in all, I walked away feeling like it's not as good as the first, but it's a decent movie. It starts out strongly but then just slowly goes downhill until the end.

I think the biggest issue with it is that, unlike the first film, it feels derivative. I couldn't help but draw comparisons with the Resident Evil series: the world is an apocalyptic mess, a virus has turned people into zombies, and WCKD is kinda sorta like Umbrella. It just didn't at all feel fresh in the way the first film did. It was more like been there, done that.

I was still mildly entertained by it though so I'll give it a 6.5. I'm hoping The Death Cure is a step up from The Scorch Trials, but I guess we'll see.

Thoughts on the Maze Runner series? Anyone planning to go see the new one?

Just another young adult cash grab like Divergent, Percy Jackson,The Giver, I am Number 4, ect

I'd be embarrassed to buy a ticket to it personally

Just another young adult cash grab like Divergent, Percy Jackson,The Giver, I am Number 4, ect

I'd be embarrassed to buy a ticket to it personally

Let me guess, this is another film you've decided sucks without actually seeing it.

I liked some of it

But it was better when it was just the kids. It became shit once you saw the bigger picture

I liked it all the way through. Of all the YA movies I've seen, it's the one that impressed me the most.

I'll take it over The Hunger Games, which most people seem to regard as the crown jewel of the YA genre.

I generally liked the first one. I ended up seeing it more than I ever anticipated because I was still paying for DirecTV at the time and it was playing on a lot of the movie channels.

The second one really seemed to have lost me as I know I've seen it at least twice but not a whole lot of it was memorable. I'd give the third one a shot but my expectations are exceedingly lower than they were for the sequel.

I also like the main actor guy for the most part, but American Assassin let me down quite a bit. I just couldn't buy into it like I was hoping to, but that's unrelated.

I was pleasantly surprised with the first one.

Not a fan of the second though.

I really liked the first movie and the first book. I did NOT like the rest of the books or the second movie.

I was hoping that the rest of the books would be as interesting as the first one. I was hoping the questions would be answered in an interesting fashion and it would have a satisfying ending. That was not the case. The author appeared to not know what to do with the story and instead just went with teen drama.

First one was okay for the first 80% or so. The tacked on ending was so bad that I decided not to watch any sequels then and there.

Hunger Games is better.

I really liked the first movie and the first book. I did NOT like the rest of the books or the second movie.

I was hoping that the rest of the books would be as interesting as the first one. I was hoping the questions would be answered in an interesting fashion and it would have a satisfying ending. That was not the case. The author appeared to not know what to do with the story and instead just went with teen drama.

I think its a case of the story just sucking

Once you actually found out what the story was, is when I was like "Yeah ok this is shit"

One you actually found out what the story was, is when I was like "Yeah ok this is shit"

As I pointed out earlier, the story ends up being pretty similar to the Resident Evil series. And I know you like the RE series.

Once you actually found out what the story was, is when I was like "Yeah ok this is shit"

I would say the story sucked if it ever went anywhere. I'm wondering through the whole thing what the point of the maze was and never got a decent answer. They hardly even tried to address it and what they did say made zero sense.

I'm wondering through the whole thing what the point of the maze was .

Exactly, and that's why I enjoyed what I did

As I pointed out earlier, the story ends up being pretty similar to the Resident Evil series. And I know you like the RE series.

If I was writing the story the kids would have never left the maze

I feel like the author really killed his own story by trying to turn it into some grand human survival bullshit.

We have enough survival post apocalyptic bullshit in media already. Being stuck in a huge maze with massive creatures is way cooler than where he decided to go with this thing

If I was writing the story the kids would have never left the maze

I feel like the author really killed his own story by trying to turn it into some grand human survival bullshit.

We have enough survival post apocalyptic bullshit in media already. Being stuck in a huge maze with massive creatures is way cooler than where he decided to go with this thing

Don't you feel like, in order for a story to stay interesting, it has to change?

I'm trying to envision how you could make a whole series out of it if the kids never get out of the maze. Is there a way to avoid the story feeling repetitive?

Don't you feel like, in order for a story to stay interesting, it has to change?

I'm trying to envision how you could make a whole series out of it if the kids never get out of the maze. Is there a way to avoid the story feeling repetitive?

It wouldn't be a 6 book series my man

I for one think the author should have just came up with a decent explanation. They alluded to basically stressing the kids out so that they could harvest a cure from them. One of my issues with that was how a bunch of the kids died. Why would they be killing them? If I remember correctly some of the kids were immune to the disease and if that's the case those kids are extremely important so putting them in situations where they get killed is nonsensical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back