$716 billion defense budget.......Wow...

no? did you not see we are shifting our focuses to china and Russian now...
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004192998
our entire military structure and doctrine is getting a policy shift.

They just figured out that a little douche bag in a Toyota pick up with a machine gun in the back may not be a big deal lol. The Chinese assholes might be more of a priority which i agree

America was supposed to use it's economic might to defeat Russia and China. Now it looks like Chinese economy is gonna push America's proverbial shit in over the next century so US has to get froggy with military.

Of course MIC wins as it supplies all sides - they love them a good arms race.

The 700 billion will help the troops keep air superiority over the advanced fighter aircraft of the taliban.

Honestly though. 700 billion but you still dont have power armor?
iran has drones now.

tech is making it affordable for rival countries to be threatening.

and expensive for usa to maintain control.

the f35 program costs trillions and i still dont think it can counter russias sophisticated anti air program. (as far as i know)

so even though theres a massive budget there are indicators that its actually not enough. thats scarier than an overspending problem.

1.4 trillion is a BS number. The government already pays 60% of HC costs. The remainder is made up for in a tax, that is less than what the average person is already paying for HC.

Saying Medicare for all will cost 1.4 trillion, completely disregards the 1.5 trillion that is already being spent.
Strange that the current US model actually costs more pr capita than countries with universal and with worse results. Probably something to ponder
Can you guys provide any proof of this claim?

We've been significantly degraded over the past 8 years of Obama's presidency - and 15 years of continual warfare kinda fucked our stuff up.

BTW - we about to kick it off.

Not because of Trump though. It's because....we're America. It's what we do~

I disagree with you almost constantly, but this post still makes me want to high five a bald eagle.

iran has drones now.

tech is making it affordable for rival countries to be threatening.

and expensive for usa to maintain control.

the f35 program costs trillions and i still dont think it can counter russias sophisticated anti air program. (as far as i know)

so even though theres a massive budget there are indicators that its actually not enough. thats scarier than an overspending problem.

Its more than enough. Isis had drones too. It doesnt mean they are sophisticated or can match what the US has. Its not even about effectiveness really anymore its about making big dollar in the arms industry. Thats why they love the super expensive projects like spending a trillion to "modernize" a perfectly capable and already bloated nuclear arsenal.

It wouldn't even cover half of Medicare for all. Bernie's Medicare for all plan would cost about $1.4 trillion.

It could cover education by quite a bit, but I doubt there are many people who will gain much from post secondary education that aren't already in it. I would argue it would lead to overall lower test scores, because people would devalue post secondary education since they aren't directly 'paying' for it. It would waste the time of people who shouldn't be there in the first place. There isn't really a big problem with smart people getting into university because they can't afford it. However since it is relatively cheap in comparison to the military budget, it could be used to reduce costs. Honestly, I'd rather government tackle insane tuition costs a different way, by enforcing some sort of limit on tuition costs. There's no reason for tuition costs to be so highly inflated.

Infrastructure would be a good re-investment of the money.
The US already spends twice as much per capita than anybody else on heslth care , something is broken

Man. We wouldn’t even have to cut that much off the Defense budget to see vast improvements at home.

716 Billion..... what if we made it a clean 700 Billion? Would we really be any more safe with that extra 16B on top of 700B, or at risk without? It’s a 2.2% decrease

That 2.2% from defense would equal a 23.1% increase in our education budget if we used it there (I found a number of 69.4B from 2017 and this would put it at 85.4B). I think that would benefit Americans much more than putting it all in defense.

I’m not even proposing cutting Defense Spending much at all here, just taking shavings from a massive pool to turn it into a very large piece of the pie in an area that needs work.

I’d like to see it potentially brought down to 650B, at least putting together mock internal budgets a year in advance to see where those cuts would go and if we’d still be the superior fighting force on earth with it, and then have 67 Billion dollars more to allocate domestically

no? did you not see we are shifting our focuses to china and Russian now...
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004192998
our entire military structure and doctrine is getting a policy shift.

They just figured out that a little douche bag in a Toyota pick up with a machine gun in the back may not be a big deal lol. The Chinese assholes might be more of a priority which i agree

They are just going for the big $$$$ sexy projects rather than the more practical and boring things like counter insurgency.

The funny thing is the chances of the US being dragged into another war where guys in pick up trucks with machine guns are their main opponents is far more likely where hilariously that new f35 or new nuclear arsenal wont mean shit.

I am happy to pay the cost to live in a safe country where I can focus on family, work, playing golf or any other bullshit I want to do. I get it, there’s a hefty price for that freedom and safety. But I don’t want to hear shit about deficits and spending from right wingers when we just passed a 1T or more tax cut and propose increases to defense, spending on a dumb wall etc..

You can argue (effectively imo) that we should spend a ton for defense and the left will argue we should pay for healthcare, so argue the merits and don’t bring up fiscal conservatism ever again unless you’re consistent here.

They'll fall back on "liberals hate the troops!" if you ever bring up the defense budget. Republicans have been doing this for years, so I doubt this changes their tune. This will only change if their base holds them accountable.

Can you guys provide any proof of this claim?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-the-most-and-least-on-health-care-per-person

https://www.pgpf.org/chart-archive/0006_health-care-oecd

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub.../oct/us-health-care-from-a-global-perspective

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...st-countries-spend-most-health-care/75771044/

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-s...e-than-sweden-or-canada-2017-4?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

Life_expectancy_vs_healthcare_spending.jpg

The collective bargaining power of the US in a universal system could help bring prices down. You guys are getting raped.

The US already spends twice as much per capita than anybody else on heslth care , something is broken
Considering the obesity rate and general unhealthy lifestyle of many Americans, is it hard to imagine that they need more health expenditure per capita? Life expectancy is also lowered by the high murder rates.

And from the sources, it says US already spends more per capita than many other countries. Why would providing healthcare for all lower this in any way?

If that money actually gave us an effective missile defense shield and hypersonic missiles that can hit anywhere in the world in an hour it would be understandable.

Considering the obesity rate and general unhealthy lifestyle of many Americans, is it hard to imagine that they need more health expenditure per capita? Life expectancy is also lowered by the high murder rates.

And from the sources, it says US already spends more per capita than many other countries. Why would providing healthcare for all lower this in any way?

Murders represent less than 1% of all the deaths in a year, its an statistical insignificance.

Also you talk as if all Europeans were healthy as fuck, a lot of them drink and smoke a lot.

the party of fiscal responsibility.........

fine by me

i'd rather it go to people that actually perform a task for a paycheck, then people who get free money for NOT earning keep

Back