• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Crime The case of Cherish Perrywinkle - Can we stop releasing sex offenders yet?

And what is the rate in the US for arsonists and rapists?

The fact remains that Finland's recidivism rate is about 40% better than ours.

Cherry picking 2 crimes related to probably the highest level of mental illness, and showing a high recidivism rate, with no comparison to weigh it against, seems disengenuous.

You're the one championing the Finish prison system.

Do you ever consider that the US recidivism rate could be unusually high because of our drug laws? Just a thought.

You can't reform these people, and those who have sympathy for these types are the reason this problem persists. Those who prey on children should get the rope. End of story.

You can't reform these people, and those who have sympathy for these types are the reason this problem persists. Those who prey on children should get the rope. End of story.

What do you base the idea on that you can't reform these people?

Also, does reform include treating mental illness?

What do you base the idea on that you can't reform these people?

Also, does reform include treating mental illness?

This is just my personal belief, as I've seen with countless cases involving pedos that they're typically repeat offenders. Especially those with clout. I could be wrong but I've yet to see any compelling evidence to convince me otherwise.

Whether pedophilia is caused by some sort of mental illness, or it is learned through experiences is something I can't speak on, as I don't honestly know the answer to that. However I don't think those who sexually assault children should be spared judgement under the guise of having a mental illness.

This is just my personal belief, as I've seen with countless cases involving pedos that they're typically repeat offenders. Especially those with clout. I could be wrong but I've yet to see any compelling evidence to convince me otherwise.

Whether pedophilia is caused by some sort of mental illness, or it is learned through experiences is something I can't speak on, as I don't honestly know the answer to that. However I don't think those who sexually assault children should be spared judgement under the guise of having a mental illness.

Here is my deal. If 1 out of 10 can be reformed, we can't just hang them, or lock them up and throw away the key.

If that is ok, then why not consider people guilty until proven innocent?

Here is my deal. If 1 out of 10 can be reformed, we can't just hang them, or lock them up and throw away the key.

If that is ok, then why not consider people guilty until proven innocent?

I see your point, however I'm not inclined to believe even 1/10 is capable of reforming. That typically isn't how these people operate. And quite frankly, I don't believe our current judicial system is even geared towards rehabilitation so the feasibility of changing these men even further diminishes due to that imo.

I see your point, however I'm not inclined to believe even 1/10 is capable of reforming. That typically isn't how these people operate. And quite frankly, I don't believe our current judicial system is even geared towards rehabilitation so the feasibility of changing these men even further diminishes due to that imo.

I don't think sexual predators have good reform rates, but 10% is probably a bit low. I bet getting caught once, and having their lives, and reputations destroyed, reforms 10% of them alone. A kind of don't touch hot stoves conditioning.

To be real though, I think people are fucking wierd about sex. Beat a kid repeatedly in a sadistic, and psychologically damaging manor, and that really isn't any different then child rape, but their is this group think thing going on with sex, that is disturbing to me.

I think it is the idea that sex offenders are sub human.

Viewing anyone as sub human, is a recipe for getting regular people to do sub human things to other people.

If you do something utterly despicable (mass murder, serial killings, child rape, torture, etc.), you should be tortured for a couple of days, then hanged.
If you do something despicable (murder, sex trafficking, hard drug dealers/kingpins, kidnapping, etc.), you should just be hanged.
For anything less (robbery, assault, drunk driving, etc.) or where there is reasonable doubt, throw people in prison.

I am wondering why in this thread I am not seeing the type of post that was in the "Colt's player killed by "immigrant" thread

you know something like " it wasn't him being out of jail that has nothing to do it , it was the sexual assault that did it and anyone can do it" type of stuff??

anyways this guy is a POS and should be locked up for life through the key away I wish we could send him to a prison in like Iran or NK where he gets horrible treatment.

I am wondering why in this thread I am not seeing the type of post that was in the "Colt's player killed by "immigrant" thread

you know something like " it wasn't him being out of jail that has nothing to do it , it was the sexual assault that did it and anyone can do it" type of stuff??

anyways this guy is a POS and should be locked up for life through the key away I wish we could send him to a prison in like Iran or NK where he gets horrible treatment.

In Iran/Muslim countries this would be legal.

Also, the silence from liberals has been deafening in this thread.

Apparently we can't all agree, as evidenced by the post directly above yours.

Homeboy wants to reform baby-rapers.
The implication would be that they would stay in jail indefinitely, since sexual predators and especially child molesters are never able to be rehabilitated.

In an ideal world with a perfect justice system that makes no mistakes this guy should get society's full wrath.

To be real though, I think people are fucking wierd about sex. Beat a kid repeatedly in a sadistic, and psychologically damaging manor, and that really isn't any different then child rape, but their is this group think thing going on with sex, that is disturbing to me.
Can you rephrase that so it's understandable?

In Iran/Muslim countries this would be legal.

Also, the silence from liberals has been deafening in this thread.
What silence? Liberals have agreed ITT

Like I said in another thread, people generally criticize if something is worthy of criticism. They aren’t disagreeing because they agree with you. I know you stupid right wingers disagree on the basis of political lean but not everyone is as brain dead as you.

There's already a provision permitting prolonged incarceration of sexually dangerous offenders (ie, those deemed incapable of rehabilitation). It's limited in scope, though.
I don’t know if every state has it but yeah, this does exist. But the sex offender pretty much has to go on record and say they aren’t rehabilitated or whatever so not very common I would think.

I don't think sexual predators have good reform rates, but 10% is probably a bit low. I bet getting caught once, and having their lives, and reputations destroyed, reforms 10% of them alone. A kind of don't touch hot stoves conditioning.

I think it is the idea that sex offenders are sub human.

Viewing anyone as sub human, is a recipe for getting regular people to do sub human things to other people.
The likelihood of a sexual predator being charged with an additional sexual offense after being released from prison is actually less likely, just purely statistically speaking, than an armed robber or arsonist. That being said, there are many reasons for this. The primary one is that sexual predators are very rarely caught. In self report questionnaires, so this is information freely volunteered by the predators themselves, on average they admit to preying on five times the number of victims that they were convicted for initially. So using whether they were charged again as an indicator of likelihood of reoffence is problematic if their chance of getting caught is relatively low. In addition, despite over six decades of study, very little is known about the psychology of sexual predators. There’s no strong correlation between any specific type of mental illness and likelihood of becoming a predator, and thus no specific mental health treatment has been effective. Further more, the likelihood of an offender reoffending is most likely within the first year of being released, but after the first year the likelihood of reoffending doesn’t drop again until after thirty years pass. You could have a model citizen for twenty nine years, but then they offend again. In order to try a rehabilitation of sexual predators, it’s going to take a much better understanding of their psychology and treatment options before I’m personally comfortable with a release back into society.

The likelihood of a sexual predator being charged with an additional sexual offense after being released from prison is actually less likely, just purely statistically speaking, than an armed robber or arsonist. That being said, there are many reasons for this. The primary one is that sexual predators are very rarely caught. In self report questionnaires, so this is information freely volunteered by the predators themselves, on average they admit to preying on five times the number of victims that they were convicted for initially. So using whether they were charged again as an indicator of likelihood of reoffence is problematic if their chance of getting caught is relatively low. In addition, despite over six decades of study, very little is known about the psychology of sexual predators. There’s no strong correlation between any specific type of mental illness and likelihood of becoming a predator, and thus no specific mental health treatment has been effective. Further more, the likelihood of an offender reoffending is most likely within the first year of being released, but after the first year the likelihood of reoffending doesn’t drop again until after thirty years pass. You could have a model citizen for twenty nine years, but then they offend again. In order to try a rehabilitation of sexual predators, it’s going to take a much better understanding of their psychology and treatment options before I’m personally comfortable with a release back into society.

If you're a farmer, and you have one sheep that has evolved to kill the other sheep in your flock... you'd cull it.

Is it really that crazy to say we should cull child predators? If you have tendencies to hurt children - you should get the needle/firing squad/chair.

If you're a farmer, and you have one sheep that has evolved to kill the other sheep in your flock... you'd cull it.

Is it really that crazy to say we should cull child predators? If you have tendencies to hurt children - you should get the needle/firing squad/chair.
I’m not really sure what part of my post this was in response to. I was replying to a different poster about the current body of research on mental health and sexual predation. Pure research. It didn’t have anything to do with punishment, which is a matter of politics.

I bet you stole that quote from Aristotle.

"Write that shit down" ~ Atomic 187 .....circa 2018

Sharp axe, thick stump, strong arm.

Right on

Purveyor of Wisdom indeed!

Back