To pursue or not pursue?? Police chasing...

Don't we have enough cameras on the road to track them?

Why pursue in a fast car if traffic cameras can simply follow them.

Once they stop, then have the cops arrest them.

Its does? Pretty sure singapore has very little in the way of prisons. They are much more famous for using corporal punishment instead.

I would go further than Singapore, but yes their system does a good job of dissuading people from breaking the law.

Tbh, I think bringing back public humiliation would also help a lot with younger folks.

I would go further than Singapore, but yes their system does a good job of dissuading people from breaking the law.

Tbh, I think bringing back public humiliation would also help a lot with younger folks.

Possibly, but the constitution says no to public humiliation.

Do you think Nigeria has nice prisons? They have a pretty high crime rate.

Possibly, but the constitution says no to public humiliation.

Do you think Nigeria has nice prisons? They have a pretty high crime rate.

Comparing the US to Nigeria is just silly.

Don't we have enough cameras on the road to track them?

Why pursue in a fast car if traffic cameras can simply follow them.

Once they stop, then have the cops arrest them.

Time to arm cops with drones. Deploy 'em like heat-seeking bloodhounds. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

dexter-surprise.gif

Over my me the athletic and explosive teenagers are ordering food and then stealing the delivery mans ride....

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/crime/chinese-food-delivery-drivers-targeted-1.16664849

If cops pursue things get dangerous and people can die.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/serious-crash-ridge-tanker-1.16763201

Too many time the cops don't pursue and the residents get fed up and take matters in their own hands.

https://nypost.com/2017/06/23/driver-pleads-not-guilty-to-killing-kids-riding-stolen-dirt-bike/

Some say if the car reaches excessive speeds or drives reckless, back off.
But that only instills in the thieves , that if they reach those speeds they are in the clear .

http://longisland.news12.com/story/...n-car-leads-to-lockdown-at-farmingdale-school

Instinct tell me thieves should be hunted down and never purposely let go.

But I'm sure some liberals on here have some good arguments in defense of thieves and say. Don't pursue....

As a shift commander, I have called off so many damn pursuits. My first question is “why are you trying to stop the vehicle?” If the answer is for a traffic violation, pursuit is called off. Basically, unless they are chasing a known felony or someone wanted for a serious violent crime, and not the “what if he has a body in the trunk/what if .....” the pursuit is called off.

I have changed my stance on the issue over the years, maybe maturity, maybe being in command has changed me, but pursuits are just too dangerous.

Don’t get me wrong, when someone runs, it pisses me off. I want to skull fuck them with a strapped on knife, but that does not mean I am willing to risk the public or one of my officers just to prevent some lowlife asshole that is likely running because of drugs or a suspended license. That is a radical change from wanting snipers to take out the driver.

As for those links, I would employ a bait car for the assholes calling for Chinese food, then catch their stupid asses and when they run on foot, have a k9 snack on them.

Americans are so lazy nowadays that we only steal cars that drive to our house.

Comparing the US to Nigeria is just silly.

What country would you prefer to compare us to? Other 1st world countries have nicer jails and less crime so thry dont exactly back up your narrative.

How about making prison so horrible it makes people think twice about breaking the law in the first place.

I think we're more ethical than that.

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

it depends on the threat. Is the fleeing person a violence criminal that will put others in harm if the escape?

How are they to know
Americans are so lazy nowadays that we only steal cars that drive to our house.
As a shift commander, I have called off so many damn pursuits. My first question is “why are you trying to stop the vehicle?” If the answer is for a traffic violation, pursuit is called off. Basically, unless they are chasing a known felony or someone wanted for a serious violent crime, and not the “what if he has a body in the trunk/what if .....” the pursuit is called off.

I have changed my stance on the issue over the years, maybe maturity, maybe being in command has changed me, but pursuits are just too dangerous.

Don’t get me wrong, when someone runs, it pisses me off. I want to skull fuck them with a strapped on knife, but that does not mean I am willing to risk the public or one of my officers just to prevent some lowlife asshole that is likely running because of drugs or a suspended license. That is a radical change from wanting snipers to take out the driver.

As for those links, I would employ a bait car for the assholes calling for Chinese food, then catch their stupid asses and when they run on foot, have a k9 snack on them.

I always thought a car was a dangerous weapon if used in such a manner.
So if a thief has one, he is now considered dangerous.

Which I guess means , let them go?

3 or 4 hop in the car. Some even wait for police and then say punch it to 100mph so the cops will leave.
Or purposely drive reckless.

Lots of money being paid out to those pursued by cops

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-crash-victim-settlement-1.16465378

The drones are additionally helpful because it gives an overhead tactical picture when the driver/passengers flee the vehicle. It gives the officers more information, which will lead to better decision making, leading to best case outcomes. No one is served well from operating blind.

There have been ways around that on the part with helicopters though.
Your average car thief won't be as smart.

But the ones that are, specifically will drive under bridges or over passes out of sight from the sky.
Some drive near airports where the sky is off limits

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Don't remember who said it maybe far.

Power phrasing , a culture should be judged by how they care for their animals .

What sort of punishment do people get for running from the police?
Or does that have too many variables to give a sort of average?

What country would you prefer to compare us to? Other 1st world countries have nicer jails and less crime so thry dont exactly back up your narrative.

Singapore has a tougher stance on crime, I’d be fine taking influence from them. Clearly what we have isn’t working.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

So we should ignore problems, because of a quote...

So if somebody doesn't want to get a ticket in your area they just take off. Where are you so I know I can avoid a ticket.

Don't chase and risk killing innocent bystanders, but use all those city traffic cameras to trace him to his base of operations and catch the fuck out of him there like in TV shows like 24.... or call in an unmarked car to stealthily chase.
I think a LOT of people would object to the government having that sort of software watching people go to and from home like big brother.

But as far as catching a fleeing suspect, it’s be unreliable unless cameras cover the entirety of the city.

This is a very tricky subject. My question in all of this is why are manufacturers allowed to make vehicles capable of exceeding the maximum speed limits? Texas has some roads with an 85 mph limit. Why are any vehicles allowed to be sold in the US that can exceed that speed?

Many vehicles today are equipped with GPS devices that show vehicle speed as well as the speed limits on the roads they travel. It seems that vehicles could easily be equipped with GPS devices that wouldn't allow them to exceed the speed limit on the road they are on. It would stop all of the chases very easily.

Technology could also be developed to prevent any pursuit before it even begins. Devices could be included in vehicles that would allow a device in a police vehicle to limit that vehicles speed to 5 mph.

So we should ignore problems, because of a quote...

If you read it he doesn't say they shouldn't be punished. We should just be humane otherwise we are no better than our prisoners.

Back