Interesting parallel between the collapse of the Roman Empire and contemporary Western Civilization

I think the bigger challenge for the U.S. is polarization in the sense that in the past you had two ends of a spectrum, and you wound up with people willing to cooperate to a central point.

This allowed for change, and at an appropriate pace.

Now you have one end of the spectrum with power, that is replaced by another end of the spectrum, looking to just undo what the prior administration accomplished. End result is zero evolution.

The world will always change, and benefit those who can make the change at the right pace, and in the right direction. All else results in trip outs of society. People get blinded by ideology, and don't realize that there are various elements of truth to various schools of thought, and sticking strictly to ideology slows the pace of positive change because of the lack of nuance and teamwork to get things done.

People always bring this up, but really the collapse of the Roman Empire was more complex than that. First, only the Western half collapsed, the Eastern half persisted for a thousand years more. And the reasons why the West collapsed are more numerous than simply "muh refugees".

The economy was in the zhitter, the borders had grown too large, the East and West had split into distinct halves so the East did not support the West as much, barbarization of the army, the unwillingness of the Romans to adopt new military tactics and strategies when the face of warfare was changing, the over-reliance on stupid zhit like walls to keep people out instead of increasing the number of soldiers,etc.

Basically everything that could have gone wrong went wrong all at the same time.

It's funny how much people will project on the fall of Rome. Christianity. Taxation. Immigration. Not enough military spending. Too much military expansion. Slave labour. Climate change. Moral decline. Lead poisoning. Etc etc...

I'm not a scholar of Rome in particular, or Europe in general, but I can say with reasonable certainty that no historian of any field will ever suggest drawing comparative analysis from an atlas lol. Unless, I suppose, you are some sort of atlas scholar.
And it looks like a children's book as well.
Ffs.

Well those barbarians turn out to be French, Germans, English...

Contemporary western civilization

Yet even Merkel, who's against multiculturalism, wanted to open up the EU borders. So where is that idea coming from? I genuinely don't know.
?

From the Jews obviously. Is this your first day in the war room?

People always bring this up, but really the collapse of the Roman Empire was more complex than that. First, only the Western half collapsed, the Eastern half persisted for a thousand years more. And the reasons why the West collapsed are more numerous than simply "muh refugees".

The economy was in the zhitter, the borders had grown too large, the East and West had split into distinct halves so the East did not support the West as much, barbarization of the army, the unwillingness of the Romans to adopt new military tactics and strategies when the face of warfare was changing, the over-reliance on stupid zhit like walls to keep people out instead of increasing the number of soldiers,etc.

Basically everything that could have gone wrong went wrong all at the same time.

I've read that most of the wealth was in the eastern empire too, and as far as tactics go the Romans didn't adapt to large hordes of cavalry and never figured out how to deal with them.

The Roman empire collapsed because they messed with the Germans.
And stretched their empire too far. Also, their leaders became more and more incompetent. Sounds a lot like the US in the last 150 years.
Sure they won a few wars and battles but at the end, they collapsed and the Germans were around before the Romans and after.

That's probably where you should see the paralell. The US is Rome and Germans are Germany.
It is basically the same. 2000 years ago or the 20th century the Germans were just peace loving people that never started a war that wasn't forced upon them ever.
In the history of mankind.
Your German education is laughably overrated.

The nether regions of Rome were hit the hardest by its fall. Evidence suggests that the ability to construct the more advanced infrastructure of the Romans, was lost within a period of 100 years. It's a shame knowing that we could've reached this point in civilization a lot earlier if the Romans had been more capable of maintaining their influence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_engineering

Ted Roosevelt, some 100 years ago, had an interesting speech on the subject (comparing Rome and other ancient civilizations to a then relatively newly-established America, And Germany):

http://www.bartleby.com/56/3.html

A speech that also serves to highlight how badly we have already descended from intellectualism, atleast on the part of leadership.

There are some salty motherfuckers in here because someone brought up the notion that unfettered immigration caused the collapse of the Roman Empire. I don't have to be a scholar to understand that uncontrolled immigration is nothing less than a silent invasion. The effects are essentially the same and once the immigrant class takes voting power you can kiss the West as you know it goodbye.

Stefan Molyneux has a video on this on YouTube.

I've read that most of the wealth was in the eastern empire too, and as far as tactics go the Romans didn't adapt to large hordes of cavalry and never figured out how to deal with them.

I think this was true for the Eastern Romans. They lost most of their middle Eastern holdings to the Islamic armies comprised of cavalry and after that largely abandoned the legionary system and started creating cataphract armies of heavy cavalry based on Persian/Parthian cavalry.

Well..

glad to see someone in the WR actually picked up a book about history and decided to read it..

History repeats itself kids. Can't change it..

SAD.

Back